Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ibz Or Dimarzios?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
fatb0t
Hey guys, I've posted before about getting a new guitar - but the money is finally accumulating and looking like it might happen (assuming my Epi Korina Flying V sells on eBay).

It's it's going to be Ibanez or a new 2008 Dean.

Quick question, I want a Ibanez prestige model, they seem to have suprerior craftsmenship...however some come with IBZ pickups and some with DiMarzios...are the Dimarizios worth the extra cash?

mmm sexy: http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG2570E
Tjchep
Yeah, they are def worth the money smile.gif.

IBZ pickup are not very good.
The Uncreator
Dimarzios are SOOOO good, they sound beautiful, ive use them for lead and it sounds superior!!!
Pavel
Ibz are not that bad - but if you're going for a good guitar pick the DiMarzio - they are awesome smile.gif
Maximus
My ibanez had IBZ's in it and they were a decent set of pups but the Dimarzio's are superior.
Hisham Al-Sanea
DEMARZIO 100%
fatb0t
That answered my question, thanks very much guys. I figured as much...
SLASH91
Mine are Dimarzio/IBZ. What does that mean?
preownedguitar
Made for Ibanez by Dimarzio, those are okay, but I would still suggest looking around for top of the line pickups. DiMarzio/IBZ remind me of dogs. Theres pure breeds, DiMarzio, and ones that have been mated together, DiMarzio/IBZ. They sound good don't get me wrong but you'll love the sound if you pick out your own pickups imo.
SLASH91
QUOTE (preownedguitar @ Jan 19 2008, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Made for Ibanez by Dimarzio, those are okay, but I would still suggest looking around for top of the line pickups. DiMarzio/IBZ remind me of dogs. Theres pure breeds, DiMarzio, and ones that have been mated together, DiMarzio/IBZ. They sound good don't get me wrong but you'll love the sound if you pick out your own pickups imo.

Ahh, I see, thanks. smile.gif Does everyone here recommend just Dimarzio or possibly something like an EMG?

Btw, I see that you have a RG2550e; me too. It's one killer guitar smile.gif
Maximus
I personally prefer a Dimarzio or a Seymor Duncan. EMG's are active pickups that definately give you a distinct sound. EMG's are popular with many big name guitarists though and are generally well suited for Metal/Hard Rock. I like the wider range of tones you get from a passive pickup. Just Google a search for "active versus passive pickups" and you will get a bunch of opinions on the topic. It's really a matter of taste.
SLASH91
I just read some about active and passive pickups, and active pickups sound like an absolute pain in the you know what. I'm reading up on some dimarzio's right know, and I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing about the Evolution pickups (what Steve Vai uses). Thanks for the advice.
Paul Coutts
I think the ibz pickups are probably the best 'stock' pickups out there. They're definetly better than Yamaha & Epiphone, and as good as ESP-EMGs.
However, I'd definetly buy a set of Seymour Duncans biggrin.gif
DiMarzio are awesome too, though.
preownedguitar
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jan 19 2008, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahh, I see, thanks. smile.gif Does everyone here recommend just Dimarzio or possibly something like an EMG?

Btw, I see that you have a RG2550e; me too. It's one killer guitar smile.gif

Yes, it is I love it as well. Take a look at the Dimarzio Tone Zone, Evo's, Evo2, paf fred/joe, Norton.
Tjchep
QUOTE (Paul Coutts @ Jan 20 2008, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the ibz pickups are probably the best 'stock' pickups out there.

I found the epi's stock pickups to be much smoother, and less harsh. Was very suprised!
Kevin98497
arent ibz pickups made by dimarzio?
Tjchep
They might be, but they are all the cheap materials that dimarzio wouldn't use if they do happen to manufacture them.

So they might be the "Squire" of dimarzios, and they don't put their real name on it.
Goliath
The IBZs in my RG are not going to get updated as I'm leaving it completely stock (20th reissue, well I did put strap locks on it). That said, the IBZs do not pack as much punch as my Evos, but they certainly don't sound any cheaper, just different. I'd definitely play the IBZs before upgrading to DiMarzio's simply for the name. The Ibanez INF pickups are horrid. IBZs are quality pick ups.

That said, I've owned EMGs and Seymour Duncan Live Wires. Active pickups are fantastic, if you're into that kind of music. The EMGs have a super distinctive sound that you can place pretty much played through anything (that means guitar and rig), so if you've a cheap/mid level guitar and love metal, an EMG is a great bet. If you've a high end guitar with good quality wood, you'd be better off with a really high output passive. The Seymour Duncan Live Wires are my favorite pickup I've played. They can get the crunch and squeal you're after like the EMG, but boast a more subtle sound when played cleanly. They're a pain to install into guitars that aren't routed for having actives, perhaps, but if you play metal, you'll be pretty satisfied with them.
SLASH91
^Metal and shred is basically all I play, but if what I read was correct, don't active pickups require batteries? I play at least 2-3 hours a day, sometimes more. Would it be incredibly expensive to do this?
Tjchep
It should not be that expencive, I think they last like 3000 hours on one battery.
SLASH91
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Jan 21 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It should not be that expencive, I think they last like 3000 hours on one battery.

blink.gif Well, ok, then, thats not bad smile.gif

@Goliath- Just checked out the live wire pickups and they're getting killer reviews ( Especially the metal one). They sound even better for metal than the evo's. Thanks for the input cool.gif
Goliath
As long as you don't leave your guitar plugged in when the amp is off then the battery life should last you for ages.

I have the Mustaine sig. Live Wires and I'd put them in just about any guitar. The neck pickup can be played cleanly beautifully. It pulls it off very well. If you don't mind dave Mustaine having his sig on it, that is. Hah, my DV8-R has Dave Mustaines sig on it 3 times (1 headstock, 2 pickups).
Tiltil
Hey chaps,

From what I gained reading the thread, Dimarzio are superior to IBZs. But is there an affordable Ibanez coming with DiMarzios which ISNT a gem (I said affordable tongue.gif)? Can't find one, they're all IBZ, V7~, etc
RobM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Jan 19 2008, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys, I've posted before about getting a new guitar - but the money is finally accumulating and looking like it might happen (assuming my Epi Korina Flying V sells on eBay).

It's it's going to be Ibanez or a new 2008 Dean.

Quick question, I want a Ibanez prestige model, they seem to have suprerior craftsmenship...however some come with IBZ pickups and some with DiMarzios...are the Dimarizios worth the extra cash?

mmm sexy: http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG2570E

After looking on the Ibanez Website again to make sure what I'm going to say is the truth here goes:

Ibanex makes three kinds of guitars: Guitars with Ibanez Pickups, guitars with what they call Dmz/Ibz or Dimarzio/Ibanez pickups and guitars with Dimarzio pickups.

Now you can get an RG prestige with Ibanez pickups (the RG1527,RG1570,RG550MXX), You can get an RG prestige with EMG pickups (RG2228) and Dimarzio/Ibanez Pickups (RGT320Q, RG2550E, RGT220A) and even Seymour Duncan pickups (RG2610e).

It all depends on the models number of the pickups, some Ibanez pickups are S1, S8 and V2 to mention a few. Some prefer EMG's over regualr pickups etc.. I guess what you really need to do is go down to your local Ibanez dealer (the only place where they will most likely have the widest variety of guitars by Ibanez to play) and make up your own mind.

I own the RG1570 and I'm very happy with it. It may lack in some sound/tone compared to an Ibanez with the Dmz/Ibz pups, but from my experience I couldn't tell and if it meant the slight difference and the difference between staring at the 2550e and my 1570 I'd choose the 1570 all over again. IMHO the 2550e is one of the ugliest guitars made by Ibanez. I understand what they were trying to do with the kind of paint they used but did they really think it was a good looking guitar before they put it into production?
JVM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jan 21 2008, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blink.gif Well, ok, then, thats not bad smile.gif

@Goliath- Just checked out the live wire pickups and they're getting killer reviews ( Especially the metal one). They sound even better for metal than the evo's. Thanks for the input cool.gif

Yep. I have actives on my parker, they last roughly three months or so. So I usually change battery when I change strings (elixirs).
Toni Suominen
Yes they definitely are worth the extra cash!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.