Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gibson Robot Les Paul Review
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
McGoo
Wiki link
erik
Cool! This guitar looks great! I haven't tried to play on it, but i tested the auto tune function and it is amazing! Tunes really fast and acurately
swingline
I was going to play one at Guitar Center the day they came out, but some worker chewed me out because it was already boughten so I was bummed.
Iluha
I would buy it only for the colour smile.gif

But seriously, I got to play with it at a guitar shop and it's great, got all the qualities of a Les Paul plus the tunning system, I hope it will be a bit cheaper in the future, or that I'll get a bit reacher laugh.gif
Owen
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jan 27 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But seriously, I got to play with it at a guitar shop and it's great, got all the qualities of a Les Paul plus the tunning system, I hope it will be a bit cheaper in the future, or that I'll get a bit reacher laugh.gif

I like the colour too, I think its rather sexy. tongue.gif

Dont like the price though and I think the whole tuning thing wouldnt work with me, unless it automatically did ALL the drop tunings laugh.gif

Good review! smile.gif

Quick question: 200 tunings doesnt seem like a lot, what do you have to do to change the battery? how simple is the process ?
Fran
Awesome guitar, plus I bet it will become a sought after item when years go by!

I hope I can try one someday when they arrive to the local stores.

McGoo
QUOTE (Owen @ Jan 27 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the colour too, I think its rather sexy. tongue.gif

Dont like the price though and I think the whole tuning thing wouldnt work with me, unless it automatically did ALL the drop tunings laugh.gif

Good review! smile.gif

Quick question: 200 tunings doesnt seem like a lot, what do you have to do to change the battery? how simple is the process ?

In the fourth picture down inside the case you can just about see the charger, it has the blue guitar cable connected to it. Plug the charger into a socket and plug a standard guitar cable into the other end and into the guitar. They do say the smaller the guitar cable the quicker it will charge so I used a 12 inch patch cable. A full charge takes about 90 minutes. I charged it fully on Wednesday when I got it and haven't charged it since, and I've played it for quite a few hours since then biggrin.gif . It tells you how much charge is left in the battery each time you tune.
By the way it can does standard 440 tuning or open A, G, drop D, E, Bflat tunings and any other specific tuning you want it to. You just set the pitch that you want a specific string to be at and it will tune the rest of the strings to that pitch.
Bogdan Radovic
Thanks for this amazing review !! This guitar and story behind it sounds awesome!
Smikey2006
great review smile.gif i too like the idea and colour.. maybe i cud buy the tuning system for my schecters smile.gif
Joey
yeah i'd be really disappointed if it only did those tunings cus i only use ..2 of them lol.. but yeah thats really useful that you can do drop C, or half step, or full step down. cus those are a pain in the ass lol but drop d? id think anyone thats serious enough to shell out the cash for the guitar could do drop d by ear tongue.gif
swingline
Tuning doesn't bother me that much on a solid bridge, but on a floating bridge I want to shoot myself.
Ivan Milenkovic
This guitar is awesome man, thanks for sharing with us. Your choice of guitar is awesome too man. My compliments. smile.gif
Dejan Farkas
Great review, thanks smile.gif

and great gear you have there biggrin.gif
OrganisedConfusion
If the guitar goes down well then it will be implemented on more guitars. I just pray they don't put it on Parker guitars or Caparison guitars as that would make me have to switch guitar companies as I really am not this lazy and to have to charge a guitar is really annoying especially with batteries degrading after every charge. After every charge they never charge to a full amount but to a tiny bit less and eventually you'll find yourself charging more and more. Apart from the fact I hate Les Paul guitars, the colour and the charging tuning system there isn't much more for me to say. I like the case tongue.gif.
McGoo
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 30 2008, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the guitar goes down well then it will be implemented on more guitars. I just pray they don't put it on Parker guitars or Caparison guitars as that would make me have to switch guitar companies as I really am not this lazy and to have to charge a guitar is really annoying especially with batteries degrading after every charge. After every charge they never charge to a full amount but to a tiny bit less and eventually you'll find yourself charging more and more. Apart from the fact I hate Les Paul guitars, the colour and the charging tuning system there isn't much more for me to say. I like the case tongue.gif.

Like I said some people just won't like it.
"To each their own" as they say wink.gif
It's not really about being lazy, it's about practicality too. I no longer need to have different guitars tuned to different tunings to play various songs, or even worse, have to keep tuning the same guitar to the different tunings. I can now play the same guitar for all tunings, including those which I have set the guitar to remember.
You are right about batteries degrading over time though. At some stage in the future it will not hold a full charge and will need to be replaced. Not much trouble though to replace the battery every few years.
I have to say I used to agree with you about Les Pauls, I never did like them very much. My friend has a superb collection of them and I only ever really liked his black 70's custom, but that is mainly because the action on that particular guitar is incredible. They are very heavy. To be honest I didn't like the colour of this guitar very much to begin with either, but I'm getting used to it now blink.gif
C'est la vie
OrganisedConfusion
I'm sure they will be made on other guitars. Very risky picking up a new technology from the start. You can either be picking up a future collective item or a one off thing that improves heavily over time.
fkalich
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jan 27 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe it is chambered. should sound a bit different than most les pauls. the les paul supreme is also chambered.
fkalich
QUOTE (McGoo @ Feb 4 2008, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to say I used to agree with you about Les Pauls, I never did like them very much. My friend has a superb collection of them and I only ever really liked his black 70's custom, but that is mainly because the action on that particular guitar is incredible. They are very heavy. To be honest I didn't like the colour of this guitar very much to begin with either, but I'm getting used to it now blink.gif
C'est la vie

I like the color. and i have three wood grain les pauls. it makes a statement, but is not really gaudy, not overdone.

i like the 490R/498T pickup combo. i have one like that, and burstbuckers on the other two. I like them both. Gibson makes good pickups. They don't have that high harmonic band emphasis (the 498T has more of it than the Burstbuckers), but I feel that when pickups emphasize that so much, something else is lost. In any case, you can get great harmonics with that 498T
USAMAN
QUOTE (fkalich @ Feb 4 2008, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe it is chambered. should sound a bit different than most les pauls. the les paul supreme is also chambered.

So is the Les Paul Standard Bantam.....Custom Shop. try to find one of those (other than at my house).
SLASH91
Nice, interesting review. smile.gif
bsamn
This guitar is just sweet man.
And great review buddy.
Crazyfret
Great review. Very consise and factual.

Gorgeous looking guitar I'm sure it will bring you years of great service.
Danilo Capezzuto
Looks really great and fresh!
Lithuanian
The guitar and the story behind it is really interesting. I love the colour! Best graphic work I've ever seen on a guitar.

Also a nice review. Very informative. It made me very interested. I hope you enjoy your guitar! smile.gif
audiopaal
Nice review, thanks smile.gif
drw84215
Interesting guitar. cool color. but come on you can spent that much money on a guitar that can tune itself? its not worth it. personally i think the guitar is a joke. but to each his own rolleyes.gif
superize
It look very cool
Toni Suominen
Cool, I was hoping for a review of this guitar, very interesting stuff, thanks! smile.gif
Lithuanian
Damn you McGoo for posting this review! I cant stop thinking about this guitar now! I love the colour so much! laugh.gif
Trond Vold
Nice review smile.gif
sidewas lightning
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Now ive got to have one two. but all the newer ones theyre making now come in ugly green and purple finishes. This one looks wonderful though. And I cant have one! Figures. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.