Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Waiting For Colabs..argggggggg
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
USAMAN
Maybe its just me but I hate waiting for a colab to be done. some people take a month to post their recordings....Drives me nuts.
If you dont have the time to participate i dont think you should. I love hearing the final mix.
I dont expect the same day or even week. I know sometimes a writers block occurs. I like doing colabs, I get a chance to express myself and it gives me a chance to explore different styles. Comments anyone.
Should deadlines be set for them?
I guess I dont know what others expect.
Feel free to tell me to lighten up...shut up.....or agree with me.
Peace.
stratman33
i agree.i feel that if you dont have the time to do it, let somebody else who does take the spot.
Muris Varajic
I believe all latest collabs have deadline,
caused by slow recording progress from few members I guess... sad.gif
Tjchep
Well..

I do agree that somtimes people take to long, but its no big deal for me really.. I'm In no rush. And I'm not going anywhere any time soon..

I am pretty sure you would not enjoy listening to the final mix if everyone did it in a day without putting any extra effort into it (Like me smile.gif) And It shows unfortunatly.You can tell when people put more effort into their collab entries, and I'd rather have them take a month or two to get what they feel is up to their standards. And then everyone is happier.

And keep in mind, some people dont have recording equipment all the time and might have to go a friends to record and there are many reasons.

Patience is a virtue my friend tongue.gif.

tj
USAMAN
Good Point.

Muris Varajic
Sounds fair TJ,sound sfair. wink.gif
Gus
Every should try to do it better: the one who is being waited should try to go a little faster, and the one who is waiting should try to be more patient. Then, everybody becomes even more happy biggrin.gif
David Wallimann
Maybe leaders should set deadlines when posting the collab.
I'll do it on the next one...
Kristofer Dahl
I agree! I just added a poll to the topic - how long should a collab be? (will of course depend on what kind of collab it is - but just to get an idea)
OrganisedConfusion
I think 2 weeks MAXIMUM is the best way to go about things. I think if a person can't find time in 14 days then they shouldn't have joined the collab anyway. A week can be hard to fit recording in due to work and other commitments.
preownedguitar
I also think two weeks should be the max. This gives plenty of time to prepare and record your solo and more time for the instructors to create more great collaborations. I can tell you sometimes waiting on the last person for 5 days after a collab has been open for 3 weeks can really get to you. But hey, thats just me.
OrganisedConfusion
I think it should be split into a small collab and and a big collab time. Small requires 2 weeks and large requires 4 weeks. Large would be like Marcus's with the videos.
Chris Evans
I think there are some fair points in Tjcheps post but I`m afraid I agree with OC in the main.

Having lead some collabs its a little frustrating sometimes waiting for peoples takes, sure you must give people time to record their "best" shot, but lets take Marcus`s collab for example, look at the enormous amount of effort he has put in to provide that backing is it fair on everyone else that "made" time and put in effort and has done their takes to wait 2 months for a couple? imo no

If you havnt got the time to record your take (I`d say 2-3 weeks is more than enough time) then wait till the next one when you know you will be able to record your take in good time.
Ivan Milenkovic
I do agree that collabs deadlines shouldn't be long. 3 weeks at the top.
Juan M. Valero
2 weeks is time enough, so I think that would be the maximum. And if somebody cannot recording it's easy to find another collab... It's my opinion... smile.gif

mmm I should do a collab tongue.gif I have one in mind... I try to record a good baching track wink.gif
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Feb 19 2008, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 weeks is time enough, so I think that would be the maximum. And if somebody cannot recording it's easy to find another collab... It's my opinion... smile.gif

mmm I should do a collab tongue.gif I have one in mind... I try to record a good baching track wink.gif

That would be awesome as long as I can do my Trademark Slowlo biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
I also think that 2 weeks is enough for a collaboration. There are many of the GMC'ers that record it the same day that the colaboration is published so 2 weeks would be an appropiate time to wait for them.

Tjchep
I think 2 weeks is fair too.

Its not like anyone is writing a song here, its just a jam over a backing track, Take a couple takes an your done.

I agree with OC.

It should take no longer than an hour to come up with a decent take. And if you cant find that time in a few weeks then you should have left that spot for someone who wont hold others back. And if you really want to come up with something good but cant record for two months then just wait for another collab sooner to a day when you can record.

tj
Tjchep
Double post, sorry.
Chris Evans
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 23 2008, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think 2 weeks is fair too.

Its not like anyone is writing a song here, its just a jam over a backing track, Take a couple takes an your done.

I agree with OC.

It should take no longer than an hour to come up with a decent take. And if you cant find that time in a few weeks then you should have left that spot for someone who wont hold others back. And if you really want to come up with something good but cant record for two months then just wait for another collab sooner to a day when you can record.

tj

huh.gif what happened to the "patience is a virtue" statement you made earlier laugh.gif wink.gif
DeepRoots
i think 2 weeks is more than fair- if you want it- then you'd record it wink.gif

We all want to see the end result smile.gif
Tjchep
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 23 2008, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
huh.gif what happened to the "patience is a virtue" statement you made earlier laugh.gif wink.gif

Hah, I'm still going with that.

I'm saying I respect the people that take the time. And I am a really patient person.

But I just had to give the other side of the picture ya'kno?

First post gave why they could possibly take so long. I TRY to look at both sides of the 'picture' as often as I can.

Second post is how to avoid it, for the people that might take some time. And Usually when you see these people that take more time than the others, they didnt write it and they ussually have access to recording stuff I was just leaning twoards that wasent the case for most. Now I understand when stuff happends, my computer started to act up and it took me a while to get it back to norm, and recorded at friends house. (Now my computers all better!). But some people just dont give an effort to get it recorded. Or at the last minute say they cant record. When they could have atleasted PM'ed the instructor and said whats up.

I just contradict it seems alot. Sorry smile.gif.

But now that I just confused myself and some of you, I'm just going to stop talking.
tj
Chris Evans
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 23 2008, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But now that I just confused myself and some of you, I'm just going to stop talking.
tj

nah, I know where your coming from and your right, on both counts tbh, but with regards to the collab your spot on, its all about effort smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
As usual, I feel compromise is best ....

Busy people may need at least until a weekend until they can put some time in on it, but if they need too much time they should give up their slot to someoen else. I also agree that leaders should set a deadline, that way we all know where we stand and may not get into something we don't have time for.

2 -3 weeks is definitely fair IMO.
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 23 2008, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As usual, I feel compromise is best ....

Busy people may need at least until a weekend until they can put some time in on it, but if they need too much time they should give up their slot to someoen else. I also agree that leaders should set a deadline, that way we all know where we stand and may not get into something we don't have time for.

2 -3 weeks is definitely fair IMO.

Also - having a deadline such as a collab might sparkle people to practice harder, so I guess practcing hard threee weeks is better than 2 weeks...!

Personally I would love to see quick results though - but everybody works differently. So yes a compromise sounds good! smile.gif
visi0n
I think 3 weeks is more then enough smile.gif like Kris says, everyone works differently.. smile.gif
kaznie_NL
I agree with the statement that it's realy anoying! Probably people can't help it that they are a bit late, but then at least post a message telling the rest of the Collabers to whait for them.

Overall I think Collabs rock tongue.gif
USAMAN
I guess what really bugs me is when they go missing. If there is a problem and you let people know its easier than waiting with no response. Things happen, I understand that. I just think that being curtious is very important. If there is a problem and you need more time thats a completely different situation than not posting and not letting anyone know why. I find it hard to believe that anyone would care if you take a little longer as long as there is communication. If its an issue that will take longer to iron out then bow out. I had to back out of two recient colabs cuz I cut my finger at work. I let everyone know as soon as I could, problem solved.
g-forcelover
my problem is that it is very hard to get acces to recording equipment. i know everything i need to, but it is very hard for me to record.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.