Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gibson Les Paul Nashville Junior
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
audiopaal
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

The purchase:

I saw this guitar on the Gibson Guitar Of The Week program they had last year and fell in love laugh.gif
I looked and looked for it, but no one wanted to sell me this guitar (I live in Norway so that probably
has something to do with it, hehe..). And finally after a while I got a deal at Guitar Relics of NY Inc.
Paid, shipped and well home in Norway I unwrapped the box, took out a nice original Gibson Hardcase
and opened it up to a really nice smell, an even better view and an even better feeling playing it for the first time.
(and the second time, and the thir time, and the fourth... you get my drift) tongue.gif

Description/Features:

A Gibson Les Paul Nashville Junior.

Embellished with the Prairie Flower pickguard motif found on Gibson Acoustic’s iconic SJ-200, the Les Paul Nashville Junior Double Cutaway proves it’s a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll. A dog-eared P-90, White Satin finish, ebony fingerboard, and wraparound compensated tailpiece make this a guitar with tremendous value and tremendous sound.

Technical Description:

Body Top Species: Mahogany Back Species: Mahogany Neck Species: Mahogany Profile: 60's Peghead Pitch: 17° Nut Width: 1.695 in. Neck Joint Location: 17th Fret Fingerboard Species: Ebony Scale Length: 24 3/4 in. Number of Frets: 22 Inlays: Dot Hardware Plating Finish: Chrome Tailpiece: Wraparound Knobs: Black Top Hat Machine Heads (Tuners): Chrome Grovers Electronics Bridge Pickup: P-90 Dog Ear Controls: One volume, One tone.

Price:

Bought from Guitar Relics of NY Inc., for 800$ + 150$ shipping to Norway.

Sound:

This is where the guitar shines the most. Apart from being a stunningly beautiful guitar it's got a tremendous sound.
Perfect for Rock, Blues and Country. Hey, I even got a pretty good Metal sound from it as well.
This thing rocks, the sustain lasts forever and the playability is out of this world.

The clean sound is nice and snappy, one of the better cleansounds I've heard.

This guitar with a little overdrive makes you wanna rock & roll all day, believe me smile.gif

It's actually pretty great with Distortion/Metal effects as well, who would have have thought?
But more of a Mustasch kind of angry distorted sound, not Metallica heavy smile.gif

All in all it's a perfect 10.

Action, Fit & Finish:

No flaws here.
Action of the box was pretty good. The pick-up was adjusted nicely and the satin white finish is just lovely.
It's actually just one layer of paint so you can see the wood through.
Some like it, some don't, but I think it's great. It shines and looks vintage at the same time wub.gif

Reliability/Durability:

It's a Gibson, it should last a lifetime.
Fells really solid although it's pretty light.

Value:

This guitar is well worth it's price, it's worth much more if you ask me.
It's a steal really..

Overall impression:

I'm really happy with this guitar. There is nothing bad to say about it really.
You get what you want, it's a junior so you can't expect a lot of features.
If you do, you've bought the wrong guitar smile.gif

Overall rating:

A perfect 10
OrganisedConfusion
Awesome review and congratulations on the new guitar. smile.gif
Trond Vold
That guitar was a joy to play on, and you were completely right about the new-guitar-smell smile.gif Like i said, they should put out that smell on wünderbaums.

Oh, and i have to borrow it some day so i can record a lesson with it wink.gif
audiopaal
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Feb 19 2008, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That guitar was a joy to play on, and you were completely right about the new-guitar-smell smile.gif Like i said, they should put out that smell on wünderbaums.

Oh, and i have to borrow it some day so i can record a lesson with it wink.gif

Yeah, it really is smile.gif

Haha, that smell should be bottled and sold, I'd buy a bundle that's for sure laugh.gif

My new ESP Eclipse II smells just as good, I love that smell laugh.gif

I'll write a review on that and my new (Yeah, I've spent a lot of money lately..) Gibson Chet Atkins SST later as well smile.gif

Ofcourse you can borrow it, no problem smile.gif
Just let me know when and I'll bring it up!
audiopaal
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 19 2008, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome review and congratulations on the new guitar. smile.gif

Thanks alot, glad you liked it smile.gif
blindwillie
Ooooh, sexy!
Really beatiful, congrats
audiopaal
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Feb 19 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooooh, sexy!
Really beatiful, congrats

Thanks man smile.gif
Toni Suominen
Cool guitar man, congrats!!! smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Nice.....Remind on mandolin, great instrument.
botoxfox
Hmm, interesting looking guitar.
kaznie_NL
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Feb 20 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, interesting looking guitar.

+1 on that, it's very abnormal! It's not exactly my taste, but I can understand that you like it. I know that sounds bad but it isn't , just believe me on that tongue.gif
audiopaal
Thanks smile.gif
It's the most beautiful abnormal guitar I've seen laugh.gif
And the neck is worth the price alone wub.gif
Danilo Capezzuto
Nice review, thank you!
audiopaal
QUOTE (Danilo Capezzuto @ Mar 27 2008, 03:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice review, thank you!

Thanks, you're welcome smile.gif
OrganisedConfusion
I hate Les Pauls but this looks a lot better than most and it looks like it weighs significantly less which is my main quarrel with the Les Paul. Is this a lot lighter than a Standard LP?
Chris Evans
I`d love a Les Paul, the weight issue is really whats stopped me in the past from buying one also, maybe one day smile.gif

This one as OC says looks a lot lighter, its not my taste but its a good review and I`m sure it plays like a dream smile.gif
Hisham Al-Sanea
nice one audiopaal.congrats
audiopaal
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 12 2008, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate Les Pauls but this looks a lot better than most and it looks like it weighs significantly less which is my main quarrel with the Les Paul. Is this a lot lighter than a Standard LP?

Yes, this is way lighter than a "normal" Gibson smile.gif

QUOTE (Smells @ May 12 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I`d love a Les Paul, the weight issue is really whats stopped me in the past from buying one also, maybe one day smile.gif

This one as OC says looks a lot lighter, its not my taste but its a good review and I`m sure it plays like a dream smile.gif

You should try to get a Les Paul Studio Lite (I got one) and that's better than most of the Gibsons I've tried, weighs a lot less and sounds killer with the 500T pickup in the bridge wub.gif

QUOTE (Hisham Al-Sanea @ May 12 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice one audiopaal.congrats

Thanks Hisham smile.gif
Canis
Looks great ^^
Sounds great as well, judging by your Rock n Roll lesson ^^
audiopaal
Thanks mate smile.gif
Yeah, it's awesome when it comes to clean and overdriven sounds smile.gif

Not too good for metal although you can play that too..
Bogdan Radovic
Congrats man for getting such a rare guitar smile.gif Great review smile.gif
audiopaal
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 14 2008, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats man for getting such a rare guitar smile.gif Great review smile.gif

Thanks mate smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.