GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
Stratman58
Wiki link
blindwillie
ooooooOOOOOOH!
WHERE IS MINE!
At least two weeks away sad.gif

Gratz to you anyway biggrin.gif
Great review with samples and everything.
Trond Vold
Nice review!
I loved the sound, especially in the first sample. It's a sound my current setup is unable to produce..

And cheaper than i would have guessed.. I just might go for this next month!
Fran
Good review!

Nice sounds, I wonder if you can really play this thing loud at home at 3W without disturbig the neighbours if you live in an apartment though...

I'm afraid it might be too loud at 80% volume even with only 3W.
audiopaal
Great review, thanks smile.gif

Interresting little unit this one..
Can I have your rig Trond, if you buy this one? laugh.gif
bsamn
Congratulations on the new amp smile.gif
Trond Vold
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Feb 19 2008, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review, thanks smile.gif

Interresting little unit this one..
Can I have your rig Trond, if you buy this one? laugh.gif

tongue.gif
Maybe If i get your ESP and Nashville jnr wink.gif
MickeM
Great review!! And a great amp too it seems.
audiopaal
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Feb 19 2008, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tongue.gif
Maybe If i get your ESP and Nashville jnr wink.gif

You're a funnybunny ain't ya? wink.gif
Trond Vold
I try smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Nice amp man, cool review smile.gif
Stratman58
QUOTE (Fran @ Feb 19 2008, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good review!

Nice sounds, I wonder if you can really play this thing loud at home at 3W without disturbig the neighbours if you live in an apartment though...

I'm afraid it might be too loud at 80% volume even with only 3W.

This amp is VERY loud. If I could compare this amp to a solid state amp, I would expect it to be at least comparable to a 120watt solid state.

Hope this reference helps
UncleSkillet
Fantastic review. Well rounded and very detailed. That said, THAT LITTLE GIRL SOUNDS SWEET!!

I would really like to here that head with a Tube Screamer, or BB Pre-amp out front. It would just scream blues / shred. Imho.

Congrats and thanks
Fran
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Feb 21 2008, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This amp is VERY loud. If I could compare this amp to a solid state amp, I would expect it to be at least comparable to a 120watt solid state.

Hope this reference helps

Ok then I guess I better not get one, because it would bother my neighbours for sure! A shame sad.gif
buttmonk
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Feb 19 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Minus 1 for not having that Metal tone I wish I could have, but for $150 bones?

Thanks for the review!!

Have you tried sticking pedals in front of it, either and overdrive or distortion? I would be really interested hear how it sounds pushed over the edge into the "metal zone"....and some clips of that would be even more interesting;) [hint hint nudge nudge]smile.gif
Spreedmaster
I would love to hear some effects through it as well, this head has piqued my interest. laugh.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Wow very nice review man ! I liked sound samples and cool pics wink.gif This one looks like a must have wink.gif
Stratman58
QUOTE (Spreedmaster @ Feb 26 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would love to hear some effects through it as well, this head has piqued my interest. laugh.gif

Well, I have played my PodXT live in front of it, and while it DOES work (and quite well), I have a feeling modelers like the POD and equivalent don't do the tube amp justice.

As in the couple samples, I used an EHX Memory man. The regular memory man pedal sounds WAY better then the modeled one in the PodXT. I can straight up hear a distinct difference in clarity. For harsh distortions through this blackheart, I am using the Killer-Z effect model in the pod (which supposedly emulates the Boss Metal Zone). Once again though, I have a feeling that placing this digital technology in front of this tube amp creates a loss somewhere, I'm just not "feeling" it.

Also something to note, the Pod I guess doesn't have a true bypass. I turned ALL modeling and effects off on the pod, everything and simply had my guitar routed through it to the amp. It did NOT sound the same as if plugging straight into the amp. So there's something to be said about that.

I'm going on a little business trip this weekend into a bigger city. I'm hoping I get to take advantage of a guitar center gift card I got for Christmas and maybe buy a Metal Zone smile.gif

Would you guys like some samples with the PodXT although?
blindwillie
Mine is delayed another month, 4th of April now sad.gif
Stratman58
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Mar 1 2008, 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine is delayed another month, 4th of April now sad.gif

Well worth the wait man!
I'd usually say anticipation is half the fun...id say it's about 5% of the fun in this case... this amp operates at 95% fun all the time smile.gif
blindwillie
Just got mail from thomann that I got mine delivered from the third of March shipment so it got delivered today AND IS ON IT'S WAY! Wiiii!
botoxfox
Nice review.
Goliath
good review, I'm debating this or getting an Atomic Amps AR112-18
Stratman58
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Mar 4 2008, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got mail from thomann that I got mine delivered from the third of March shipment so it got delivered today AND IS ON IT'S WAY! Wiiii!

Congrats man! You'll love it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.