Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jamesito´s Spanish Corner
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Pages: 1, 2
Jamesito
Hi everyone,

Most of you now know me as I post a lot on the forums here. After talking with senior´s and moderators, We have decided to open a few off topic threads that are desinged to help people with language learning. Here at GMC we have a wide variety of differant nationalities, languages and cultures. So within this forum, I will be giving advice on practical spanish in everyday life, translation queries, how to integrate effectively with spaniards and latin americans, living in Spain or Latin America and many other issues around this topic.

I would be happy to take any questions about your Spanish, the great thing here at GMC is we have a lot of Spanish speaking members aswell, so they can correct me aswell lol!!!! tongue.gif yeah right!. Learning a language is like learning to play guitar, there are many similarities, practice indeed makes perfect biggrin.gif . I have been only learning for 5 years but I have had the privilege of having excellent friends in South America and Spain! Having lived in Spain and I am currently living in Ecuador, learning is a lot easier.

With all that being said, any queries or worries with your grammer, transaltions or anything you can think of, don´t hesitate to make a post!!!!

Hope to speak to you all soon,

Jamesito biggrin.gif - Spanish God LOL yeah right...
shellshock1911
Yes this is so awesome! Since I am learning Spanish right now I will probably be using this a lot!
Jamesito
Hey obviously you are pretty adept in English and Spanish I had a question. How is the word "just" used in spanish? Like "I want JUST one" or the other way "Why don't you JUST give up?." I know that "only" is "solo," but is there a word for "just" and if so, how is it used in the two cases that I put down? Thx!
- Shellshock1911

Hey Shellshock,

good question here, your use of "solo" is correct here in terms of I just want one or I only want one "Solo quiero uno-a" in your second frase "Why don´t you just give up", that´s more difficult as the article or context of the sentence is not clear...
In Spanish to English translation the frist aspect you will want to know is the context of the sentence.

If you said to me "Why don´t you just give up Smoking!" my translation would be "Porque no dejas de fumar!" I woulden´t say "just" in the sentence as it is kind of implied. The major issue here is the usage of "just", in your first sentence you need it, for example if you only wanted one of something "Yo quiero uno" is fine gramatically but "Solo quiero uno" sounds more afirmative.

In transaltion, the best transaltion are those which don´t stick 100% word to word to the orginal english but maintain the clarity and meaning of the sentence.

Hope this has helped out my friend, Buena Suerte!

Jamesito biggrin.gif

By the way if any spanish speaker wants to correct me, PM me! and i will wdit the postrather than quotes and repeat posts, Thanks guys

shellshock1911
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Mar 1 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Shellshock1911

Hey Shellshock,

good question here, your use of "solo" is correct here in terms of I just want one or I only want one "Solo quiero uno-a" in your second frase "Why don´t you just give up", that´s more difficult as the article or context of the sentence is not clear...
In Spanish to English translation the frist aspect you will want to know is the context of the sentence.

If you said to me "Why don´t you just give up Smoking!" my translation would be "Porque no dejas de fumar!" I woulden´t say "just" in the sentence as it is kind of implied. The major issue here is the usage of "just", in your first sentence you need it, for example if you only wanted one of something "Yo quiero uno" is fine gramatically but "Solo quiero uno" sounds more afirmative.

In transaltion, the best transaltion are those which don´t stick 100% word to word to the orginal english but maintain the clarity and meaning of the sentence.

Hope this has helped out my friend, Buena Suerte!

Jamesito biggrin.gif

By the way if any spanish speaker wants to correct me, PM me! and i will wdit the postrather than quotes and repeat posts, Thanks guys

Thx I see now. So when I say "I want only one," I would say "Solo quiero uno?" Right. Instead of "Quiero solo uno?" Since the first literally means "Only I want one" and the second means "I want only one," which is what I am going for. Is the first correct or are they both correct?

And a thing I think is stupid about Spanish classes is they tell you that "Como te llamas," means "What is your name?" What they don't tell you is that it actally means "What do you call yourself?" Right? One of the main things I am getting ready to work on is pronoun placement, I know they go before the verb and all but over the next couple weeks I'll probably be asking some questions on them.

Of course right now I am working on past-tense verbs and soon as I get good with them I will go to pronouns and then future tense verbs, if this isn't too fast. My Spanish classes in school are great for teaching words but are kind of weak on the grammar aspect of Spanish, so that is mainly what I study at home.

Thx again for your help.

EDIT: Oh yes one more question that I am eager to have answered. What is the Spanish equivalent of "Hey," "Bye," and "OK?"

I know that Hello is Hola, Goodbye is Adios, etc, but for some reason I don't see those words being used commonly, because they aren't commonly used in English whereas, "Hey," and "Bye," are used much more.
Jamesito
Hey ShellShock,

Well... "Quiero uno Solo" I don´t like that my friend it sounds a little strange, i don´t think it´s gramtically wrong though!! but I would say "Solo quiero uno" or at a stretch "Quiero uno solo!" both of those are good ways of saying what you want to say. As I said don´t try and think of every phrase word for word as you will only confuse yourself... the context of the phrase is what counts.

hehe yes you are right! if you don´t like "como te llamas" you could use "Cual es tu nombre?" - What´s your name?, this also happens with "Cuantos años tienes?" How many years to you have literally!! lol, it´s all logical thinking, of course it means How old are you, if you find it confusing you could say "Que edad tienes?" it also means how old are you. These are the best bits about starting a language literal translation are soo funny!!! but after time you will adapt lol

EDIT - There are many way of saying Hey depending on which spanish speaking country you are in!!!!
Hola is the most univeral, of course it means Hello or Hi but if you wanna say more like Hey, What´s up?
"Orale, que onda? (Mexico), Que fue? (Ecuador), Que pasa? (España), Que hubo (Chile), you can use these anywhere, I have only mentioned which are popular and in which countries. Of course this changes over time due to changes in the language but it´s currently up to date !!!!

Bye - would simply be Adios (Formal) or Chau (Informal).

OK - would be "OK" in LatinAmerica and "Vale or OK" in Spain.

good job on identifing that point, it is a valid one for begineers!!! Peace

Jamesito biggrin.gif
shellshock1911
Lets all collaborate to make a list of pronouns!

All- Todo
Another- Otro
Any- ?
Anybody- ?
Anyone- ?
Anything- ?
Both- ?
Each- Cada
Eachother-
Either-
Everybody- ?
Everyone- ?
Everything- ?
Few- ?
He- El
Her- Ella
His/Hers- Su
Himself- ?
Herself- ?
I- Yo?
It- ?
Its- ?
Itself- ?
Many- Mucho
Me- ?
Mine- ?
My- Mi
More- Mas
Most- ?
Much- ?
Myself- ?
Neither- ?
No one- ?
None- ?
Nothing- ?
One- Un/a
Other- Otro
Ours- Nuestro/a
Ourselves- ?
Several- ?
She- ?
Some- Unos/as
Somebody- ?
Someone- ?
Something- Algo
That- ?
Their's- ?
Them- ?
Themselves- ?
These- ?
They- ?
This- Este
Those- ?
Us- ?
We- Nosotros/as
What- Que/Como
Whatever- ?
Which- Cual
Whichever- ?
Who- Quien
Whoever- ?
Whom- ?
Whomever- ?
Whose- ?
You- Usted/Tu
Yours- Tu
Yourself- ?
Yourselves- ?
Jamesito
Ok that´s a good idea Shellshock,

I know all of those so I will let the other members colloborate and I will make any corrections when you think it´s ok!
Help him out please!!!!

Jamesito tongue.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
This is very helpfull! Thank you Jamesito!
Luciana Segovia
tell me if it's allright

All- Todo
Another- Otro
Any- algun/alguno
Anybody- Alguien
Anyone- Alguno
Anything- algo
Both- ambos
Each- Cada
Eachother-
Either- tampoco
Everybody- Todos
Everyone- Cada uno
Everything- alguna cosa
Few- pocos
He- El
Her- Ella
His/Hers- Su
Himself- el mismo
Herself- ella misma
I- Yo
It- el (thing)
Its-
Itself-
Many- Mucho
Me- yo
Mine- mio
My- Mi
More- Mas
Most- el mas
Much- mucho
Myself- yo mismo
Neither- tampoco
No one- nadie
None- ninguno
Nothing- nada
One- Un/a
Other- Otro
Ours- Nuestro/a
Ourselves- nuestro/nuestra
Several- varios
She- ella
Some- Unos/as
Somebody- alguien
Someone- alguno
Something- Algo
That- eso
Their's- de ellos (plural)
Them- ellos
Themselves- ellos mismos
These- esto
They- de ellos
This- Este
Those- esos
Us- nuestro
We- Nosotros/as
What- Que/Como
Whatever- lo que sea
Which- Cual
Whichever- cual sea
Who- Quien
Whoever- quien sea
Whom- de quien
Whomever- de quien sea
Whose- cuyo
You- Usted/Tu
Yours- Tu
Yourself- tu mismo
Yourselves- ustedes mismos

and Jamesito: thanxs.. this is very helpfull-

Luciana
visi0n
Great, gracias Luli smile.gif
Jamesito
hahaha yes it all looks ok luciana, although it was meant for non spanish speakers lol biggrin.gif , but it was a good way to test your english right? ok but you raised a good point in there...

In spanish "it" does not exist everything is masculine or feminine, so let´s say you want to talk about a concert that you went to, your going to say, The concert was amazing, I really loved it!!!!, it would transalte as

El concierto fue increible (or asombroso), me encantó!!! "it" will always take the form of he or she, this example is in preterite or past tense.

"it" as an object would be translated as "lo" o "la" or "Los" and "Las" if plural. As you can see it´s masculine or femnine.
it´s one or the othert and If you don´t mention a specific item, the "it" in english will always take a masculine form in Spanish.
An example. would be "i don´t know where to put it", this would be, No sé donde ponerlo , the "lo" represents the "it" in english and as no thing is actually mentioned it takes a masculine ending. If the conversation was more like,

Pasame la Botella..., Pues no sé donde ponerla (Give me the bottle..., I don´t know where to put it!!!) you would have to use the feminine version of "it" as "la botella" is feminine.

This is a little complicated but it comes with practice!!!! Hope this helps someone lol

Jamesito biggrin.gif

shellshock1911
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Mar 2 2008, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hahaha yes it all looks ok luciana, although it was meant for non spanish speakers lol biggrin.gif , but it was a good way to test your english right? ok but you raised a good point in there...

In spanish "it" does not exist everything is masculine or feminine, so let´s say you want to talk about a concert that you went to, your going to say, The concert was amazing, I really loved it!!!!, it would transalte as

El concierto fue increible (or asombroso), me encantó!!! "it" will always take the form of he or she, this example is in preterite or past tense.

"it" as an object would be translated as "lo" o "la" or "Los" and "Las" if plural. As you can see it´s masculine or femnine.
it´s one or the othert and If you don´t mention a specific item, the "it" in english will always take a masculine form in Spanish.
An example. would be "i don´t know where to put it", this would be, No sé donde ponerlo , the "lo" represents the "it" in english and as no thing is actually mentioned it takes a masculine ending. If the conversation was more like,

Pasame la Botella..., Pues no sé donde ponerla (Give me the bottle..., I don´t know where to put it!!!) you would have to use the feminine version of "it" as "la botella" is feminine.

This is a little complicated but it comes with practice!!!! Hope this helps someone lol

Jamesito biggrin.gif

Na I fully understand. smile.gif

But I can you explain to me how "Lo siento" means "I am sorry," would you not say "Estoy siento?"
shellshock1911
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Mar 1 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok that´s a good idea Shellshock,

I know all of those so I will let the other members colloborate and I will make any corrections when you think it´s ok!
Help him out please!!!!

Jamesito tongue.gif

I want to see if I can translate some of this into Spanish and tell me if some of it is wrong and the parts I don't know I will just write in English.

Ok eso es una idea buena, Shellshock.

Sé todo de esos asi I will let los members otros collaborate y I will hago correccions algunas cuando crees ser ok!
Se ayudan Uds. por favor!

I know it is pretty rough lol (I've only been learning for about 5 months.)
FretDancer69
muy buena idea, pronto tendremos a todo GMC en el dominio Latino!!!! hehehe ph34r.gif

me gustaria ayudar, si estas de acuerdo claro Jamesito smile.gif
Juan M. Valero
Excelent topic !!! laugh.gif now we have guitar lessons, band lesson, and spanish lessons !!!!! hehehehe

Juan M. Valero
Translated:
I change this but it's not absolute incorrect
this is incorrect
this is wrong but I don't know what wanted to mean so I cannot translate it sad.gif

Ok(or you can use "vale", "de acuerdo", "bien"), esto es una buena idea, Shellshock.

Sé todo de esos ("ya lo sé todo" for example...) así que animo a los otros miembros (or usuarios=users) a colaborar (or "participar") y haré algunas correciones cuando sea necesario
Se (me ¿?) ayudan Uds. por favor ?
Jamesito
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Mar 2 2008, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
muy buena idea, pronto tendremos a todo GMC en el dominio Latino!!!! hehehe ph34r.gif

me gustaria ayudar, si estas de acuerdo claro Jamesito smile.gif

Claro que si!!!!! todos socios (miembros) debemos de participar, especialmente los latinos y los españoles. subáte al abordo jeje.
(Of course!, all members should particpate, especially Latin America and the Spanish!, jump on board! lol)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And for your question shellshock, thanks for the help juan!!! i think my translation will be a little differant to yours as I was a learner too!!!! so i can understand what he wants to say lol as it´s a translation of my sentence earlier!!!!! tongue.gif

"I know all of those so I will let the other members colloborate and I will make any corrections when you think it´s ok!
Help him out please!!!!" - Orginal English

Sé todo de esos asi I will let los members otros collaborate y I will hago correccions algunas cuando crees ser ok!
Se ayudan Uds. por favor! - ShellShock Translation (Not bad for a begineer, and we all have to learn from our mistakes, see how i would translate your sentence tongue.gif )

ya lo sé todo así que animo a los otros miembros (or usuarios=users) a colaborar (or "participar") y haré algunas correciones cuando sea necesario Se (me ¿?) ayudan Uds. por favor ? - Juan´s Translation (Spanish is perfect obviosuly but it strays too far away from the orignal context but a good effort smile.gif

Yo las sé todas asi que dejaré que otros miembros colobren y Haré algunas correciónes cuando piensen que valga. Ayudale por favor!!!!! - Jamesito´s Translation biggrin.gif (Así se hace - That´s how it´s done) lol

Espero que esto ayude a todos - I hope this helps everyone, Good job guys!!!!

EDIT - "Lo Siento" would literally mean "I feel it", i guess in english some americans say "I feel you" it means like i understand or im sorry. In english your natural way of thinking would be to use "To be" I am Sorry, but in Spanish this concept dosent exist. I don´t think I can explain it better than that, instead of thinking if things literally translate the same as in English, apreciate the diferences of the language... You will get the hang of it after a while!!! biggrin.gif
Jamesito
DragonForce Master class en Inglés y Español (Muy gracioso)
Dragonforce Master class in English and Spanish (Very Funny)

jajajajaj mira esto!!!
Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtUiQJc7ZMI...feature=related

y despues mira ese!!!!
After watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZgxaaKNJ7k

jajajaja ojala que lo disfruten!!!
I hope you enjoy it!!!

Jamestio laugh.gif
Slammer
Hola, biggrin.gif

Leche, Agua, Guitarra, Vamos a la playa. <<<---------- Thats all I know mellow.gif
Siggum
Esto sonará probablemente realmente estúpido porque su tomado de un translater. en línea. hehe
Siggum
Esto sonará probablemente realmente estúpido porque su tomado de un translater. en línea. hehe
shellshock1911
QUOTE (Slammer @ Mar 3 2008, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hola, biggrin.gif

Leche, Agua, Guitarra, Vamos a la playa. <<<---------- Thats all I know mellow.gif

Milk, Water, Guitar, We are going to the beach. I win!
Slammer
You forgot "Hola" so you don't win tongue.gif
Jamesito
LOL

it's a tie you both lose lol!!!! tongue.gif By the way if you have any requests for certain words or phrase, post here and i will send you them back in Spanish... Without a online translator lol!!!

Jamesito biggrin.gif
Slammer
sad.gif sad.gif
shellshock1911
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Mar 3 2008, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL

it's a tie you both lose lol!!!! tongue.gif By the way if you have any requests for certain words or phrase, post here and i will send you them back in Spanish... Without a online translator lol!!!

Jamesito biggrin.gif

Maybe you can post some stuff in Spanish and let me translate it so I can practice. Don't use too many past-tense verbs or no future-tense, everything else should be ok.
Jamesito
QUOTE (Siggum @ Mar 3 2008, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its acutally not that bad lol. I would say it "probablemente esto suena muy estupido porque estoy usando un traductor en linea (or de internet)!!!!

Jamesito biggrin.gif
Jamesito
QUOTE (Slammer @ Mar 3 2008, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sad.gif sad.gif

dont cry my friend lol smile.gif gwt in with the fun on this forum, if you wanna know anything you only have to ask, i would say you could sk what certain insults are but i dont think kris would like it very much biggrin.gif.

Ok Shellshock try this on...

"I play the guitar for a band called Dragonforce, we like to drink milk a lot!!!" lol
its a funny example but randomnus is good in languages, go for it!!!

Jamesito biggrin.gif
Slammer
LOL

I used to know more Spanish (My mom is from Costa Rica)

But, I forgot alot of it. And here in Miami about 95% of people speak Spanish, so my lack of it hurts laugh.gif

btw I saw that you Lived in England, cool. I was born there, actually I'm half British by blood blink.gif

Jamesito
QUOTE (Slammer @ Mar 3 2008, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL

I used to know more Spanish (My mom is from Costa Rica)

But, I forgot alot of it. And here in Miami about 95% of people speak Spanish, so my lack of it hurts laugh.gif

btw I saw that you Lived in England, cool. I was born there, actually I'm half British by blood blink.gif

You live in Miami??? thats awesome dude! I have to stop of there for a night in a few months on my way back to the UK, we gotta meet up in a guitar store and have a random JAM lol. Yeah spanish is important in Miami!!! i was born in Harrgate in Yorkshire (Gods own County)

Jamesito biggrin.gif
shellshock1911
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Mar 3 2008, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dont cry my friend lol smile.gif gwt in with the fun on this forum, if you wanna know anything you only have to ask, i would say you could sk what certain insults are but i dont think kris would like it very much biggrin.gif.

Ok Shellshock try this on...

"I play the guitar for a band called Dragonforce, we like to drink milk a lot!!!" lol
its a funny example but randomnus is good in languages, go for it!!!

Jamesito biggrin.gif

Toco la guitarra para una banda llamé Dragonforce, me gusta beber leche mucho. Lol es un (example) grascioso pero (randomness) es bueno en idiomas, lo va usted para!
Slammer
Yeah, We have a couple big Guitar shops here.

Sam Ash and Guitar Center.

btw how is it in Ecuador?

I lived in Costa Rica for a few months back in 2002. So that's the only Part of Latin America I've seen.

EDIT: Whoops sorry for getting off topic. Perdón
Jamesito
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Mar 3 2008, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Toco la guitarra para una banda llamé Dragonforce, me gusta beber leche mucho. Lol es un (example) grascioso pero (randomness) es bueno en idiomas, lo va usted para!

Ok the bottom bit was just my bad english lol... ok

Toco la guitarra para una banda (or un Grupo) thats all good btw, QUE SE LLAMA Dragonforce, me gusta beber leche mucho. its good but i said we like milk so it would be Nos gusta beber... but all good dude, good job!

Remember that llamar on its own is just the verb to call like on a telefone.

LLAMARSE is a refelxsive verb, all reflexsive verbs end in SE. it means to call ones self, as in your name.
Me llamo James / my name is James
Se llama Dragonforce / he/she or it is called Dragonforce - in spanish it could be any of those genders, you just have to pick which one you think it is. if it were Se llama Juan you know its gonna be He is called Juan.

Jamesito biggrin.gif
Jamesito
QUOTE (Slammer @ Mar 3 2008, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, We have a couple big Guitar shops here.

Sam Ash and Guitar Center.

btw how is it in Ecuador?

I lived in Costa Rica for a few months back in 2002. So that's the only Part of Latin America I've seen.

EDIT: Whoops sorry for getting off topic. Perdón

Its fine about the topic, this thread is for general spanish issues and cultural issues, like life in spain or latin America.
Ecaudor is Great, nice weather, nice people the food is ok, its better in the US though!!. Good beaches plenty to see and do, a lot of crime but I have never been robbed probably because im a big mother f.... lol. Apart from that, great place to live, Rubbish guitars though!!! dont buy one here, how much are the Strats over in miami i was thinking about buying one on a whim lol.

Jamesito biggrin.gif
shellshock1911
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Mar 3 2008, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok the bottom bit was just my bad english lol... ok

Toco la guitarra para una banda (or un Grupo) thats all good btw, QUE SE LLAMA Dragonforce, me gusta beber leche mucho. its good but i said we like milk so it would be Nos gusta beber... but all good dude, good job!

Remember that llamar on its own is just the verb to call like on a telefone.

LLAMARSE is a refelxsive verb, all reflexsive verbs end in SE. it means to call ones self, as in your name.
Me llamo James / my name is James
Se llama Dragonforce / he/she or it is called Dragonforce - in spanish it could be any of those genders, you just have to pick which one you think it is. if it were Se llama Juan you know its gonna be He is called Juan.

Jamesito biggrin.gif

Thx yea I didn't know what "We" was in that case so I just put "Me" and the llamar part was a total guess.
Slammer
Fender Stratocasters Made in Mexico, Cost $399 new.

And higher Quality ones cost between $500-$1000. biggrin.gif
Jamesito
QUOTE (Slammer @ Mar 3 2008, 01:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fender Stratocasters Made in Mexico, Cost $399 new.

And higher Quality ones cost between $500-$1000. biggrin.gif

I want an american made Strat, they sell the mexicans ones here of course, about $300/500 depending on the style, I like them actually but Im going to push the boat out and buy the real deal!!!

Jamesito tongue.gif
blindwillie
I'd like to ask what might be a really stupid question.

What's the relation between spanish, portugise and italian language?
Are they close related?
I mean, if I learned spanish would I be able to understand enough to get along in Italy and Portugal as an example?
I was in Italy last summer, I'm going to Portugal this summer and who knows, maybe Spain next year.
It's a bit late to learn spanish now, but it's always been an my list of stuff-to-do-when-I-have-the-time smile.gif
Jamesito
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Mar 3 2008, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to ask what might be a really stupid question.

What's the relation between spanish, portugise and italian language?
Are they close related?
I mean, if I learned spanish would I be able to understand enough to get along in Italy and Portugal as an example?
I was in Italy last summer, I'm going to Portugal this summer and who knows, maybe Spain next year.
It's a bit late to learn spanish now, but it's always been an my list of stuff-to-do-when-I-have-the-time smile.gif

Hey,

All three are Latin based languages so they all share similaraties in how verbs are contructed and certain nouns. Spanish and Portugese are a lot closer together as they share many similar verbs and words, Italien is not as close as those two but it the structure of the language still represents them. English on the other hand is a hybrid of Latin and Germanic languages, that´s why we say random lantin things like "Vica-Versa" a lot.

Portugel is a very nice country to visit, the language I would say is more useful than italien as it´s spoken in Portugal, Brazil and Portugese speaking african countries like angola. It´s never to late to learn spanish hehe, I told myself that a few times but I got a lot better until fluency smile.gif . Playing guitar that is on my stuff to do list.

Jamesito biggrin.gif
blindwillie
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Mar 3 2008, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey,

All three are Latin based languages so they all share similaraties in how verbs are contructed and certain nouns. Spanish and Portugese are a lot closer together as they share many similar verbs and words, Italien is not as close as those two but it the structure of the language still represents them. English on the other hand is a hybrid of Latin and Germanic languages, that´s why we say random lantin things like "Vica-Versa" a lot.

Portugel is a very nice country to visit, the language I would say is more useful than italien as it´s spoken in Portugal, Brazil and Portugese speaking african countries like angola. It´s never to late to learn spanish hehe, I told myself that a few times but I got a lot better until fluency smile.gif . Playing guitar that is on my stuff to do list.

Jamesito biggrin.gif

Thanks. That straightened up my questions.
Guitar has much higher priority for me too at the moment, and hey! it's a universal language, right?
Can be hard to walk into a shop and try to explain what I want with a guitar solo though wink.gif
Jamesito
biggrin.gif Come on people!!!!! this is supposed to be an active forum, all levals of spanish welcome from absoulte begineer to Advanced Speakers!!!! Help with School Homework, translations, Life in Latin America and Spain. Anything goes, so just ask a question!

Jamesito biggrin.gif
shellshock1911
Check out this site that my Spanish teacher showed me at school!

http://www.uni.edu/becker/Spanish3.html

And you can test your Spanish here. I got 22 out of 40 questions right. The verb tenses killed me.

http://www.esl-languages.com/en/study-abro...-test/index.htm
Jamesito
22 is good!!!! I´m not very good with tenses either all the time and some of the questions could have been more than one of those answers! I got 33 which is good aswell, I would imagine a Spaniard or Latin American should be getting 36 or more. That test is desinged for a languagers school to gauge your level! Most school´s run on the same system so it´s easy to join the right group for you,

A1- Total Begineers
A2 - Begineers

B1 - Intermediate
B2 - Upper Intermediate

C1 - Advanced
C2 - Perfecting small errors - Fluent

When I studied in Barcelona I stared at B1 and finished on B2 after a few weeks of intensive clases. Now I would say I´m C1, by the end of next year I should be C3 - Master lol biggrin.gif . At the end of the day this is just a guide you could be an amazing speaker and still end up in B1 for your bad written grammar... that´s what that test really is... it´s part of a complex struture, so I would be pleased with your 22 for the moment and look to try the test again in a few months and try and imprive your score.

Jamesito biggrin.gif
shellshock1911
Awesome.

Can you help me with this?

Like how would you say "I JUST went to the movies."

I was reading in my book and it said something like, use acabar de + infinitive. Ok, well if you were to say "I went," it would be "Fui," right? Well in this case you would change the conjugated form to infinitive right? So it would be "Acabo de ir al cine?" Just trying to get this cleared up and any extra comments or tips on the matter would much appreciated. Thx!
Jamesito
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Mar 6 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome.

Can you help me with this?

Like how would you say "I JUST went to the movies."

I was reading in my book and it said something like, use acabar de + infinitive. Ok, well if you were to say "I went," it would be "Fui," right? Well in this case you would change the conjugated form to infinitive right? So it would be "Acabo de ir al cine?" Just trying to get this cleared up and any extra comments or tips on the matter would much appreciated. Thx!

Hola,

Acabar de + infinitive is correct if you have just finished doing something like watching a film, Acabo de ver una pelicula!,

The problem with using "irse" is that is sounds strange in Spanish for that particular use. Be careful when talking about going, coming and arriving in Spanish. You cannot say I am going to come to the cinema tonight when talking to someone who is there all ready like you can in english (Voy a venir al cine está noche) it´s bad grammar, as it would be "Voy a irme al cine está noche".

"Acabo de irme al cine" - I have never said that in my life hehe gramatically it looks ok but I don´t like the use of irse here!!! it looks wrong to me personally but ask one of the spanish speakiers here to see if it exists...

My examples

Acabo de llegar del cine or Recien regreso del cine - I just got back from the cinema.

Me fui al cine - I went to the cinema

Those two are both ok for what you want to say i think, Peace

Jamesito biggrin.gif

Recien Regreso del cine or Acabo de llegar del cine - I Have just come back from the cinema.

shellshock1911
Right now I am doing demonstrative adjectives.

Ok let me see if I am doing every thing right.

Este coche - This car
Esta silla - This chair
Estos tiendas - These stores
Estas Paredes - These Walls (awesome song by the way)
Ese coche- That car
Esa silla- That chair
Esos tiendas- Those stores
Esas Paredes- Those walls

And if you are asking a question and gender is unknown. It is "Qué es esto?," verdad?\

And I will probably be using this forum a lot over the next year at least, so if no one else is asking questions, I will still be! My spanish teacher told me Spanish 3 and 4 are taught entirely in Spanish are extremely tough, so that I should be speaking very good if not almost fluent Spanish by the time I get out of Spanish 4. In Spanish 3 they jam all the verb tenses and everything to do with grammar in you and make you learn unreal amounts of words at home. Then Spanish 4 is just entirely comprehensive review of everything you have learned. No doubt in my mind that I am willing to do all that and by the time I am done I will only be a junior in high school, so I can get started on Mandarin Chinese next!
Juan M. Valero
QUOTE (Slammer @ Mar 3 2008, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...And here in Miami about 95% of people speak Spanish, so my lack of it hurts laugh.gif ...

mmm interesting... I will come to MIAMI when I will be rich laugh.giflaugh.gif
Jamesito
Shellshock,

Yeah, to be honest there is not a great deal of intrest in this room yet but as this is a guitar forum im not surprised, I might be inactive for a while in Latin America as I dont have internet, but i will try me best to moderate this thread. All your stuff before was ok, no problems there. This year I will be teaching english in Spain so I´m gonna have to touch up on my english lol, it´s soo bad.

Juan,

Yeah I´m gonna visit Miami this year to buy some guitars and chill out, Miami is really cool but you need plata man!!!!

Jamesito biggrin.gif
shellshock1911
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Mar 7 2008, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shellshock,

Yeah, to be honest there is not a great deal of intrest in this room yet but as this is a guitar forum im not surprised, I might be inactive for a while in Latin America as I dont have internet, but i will try me best to moderate this thread. All your stuff before was ok, no problems there. This year I will be teaching english in Spain so I´m gonna have to touch up on my english lol, it´s soo bad.

Juan,

Yeah I´m gonna visit Miami this year to buy some guitars and chill out, Miami is really cool but you need plata man!!!!

Jamesito biggrin.gif

Yea np. What are these verb tense called, and how are they used in Spanish?

"He was taken from his home."
"I have noticed your errors."
"I used to have car."
Jamesito
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Mar 8 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea np. What are these verb tense called, and how are they used in Spanish?

"He was taken from his home."
"I have noticed your errors."
"I used to have a car."

The first one is normal past tense, this would cover a action that has occured once and has been completed in the past some time ago, "Me fui al cine" I went to the cinema, action has ended and it´s definate.

The second one is intresting bascially the action has been completed but recently in the past. In spain an example would be "He hablado con Laura Hoy" I have spoken to laura today, in latin america they would say Hablé con laura hoy (using the nomal past tense) both are correct but the first example is better.

The third is imperfect tense, used to explain an action that is continious in the past or when describing something in the past. So for a continous action "Estaba muy enfermo la semana pasada", you were not just ill once, u were ill for a duration of time. Describing the past "La casa era gigante" the house was gigantic, so used for description of anyking.

Hope thats ok

Jamesito
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.