Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guitar Can Be Detrimental To You're Health..not Too Seriously Tho I Dont Think :-)
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
whammysam
Hi folks, just thought I'd share my experience with you. Since a couple of months back, I started playing guitar regularly, after a long time of not playing at all. After a couple of weeks practicing, at about 1/half- 2hrs a day, I noticed numbness developing in my left forearm and thumb/index finger. I wasnt sure what could have brought it on, but never would have associated it with playing guitar.(I was worried it was a heart thing) Finally I got around to speaking with the doctor, he said I have irritation/impingement on the radial nerve, more specifically its the superficial branch of the radial nerve, (don't ask me, its doctor talk blink.gif ) by overuse of the muscles that wrap over and around it.. Bottom line.. NO GUITAR FOR TWO WEEKS! sad.gif I work in a physically demanding job.. Lifting heavy objects most of the day, I could never had foreseen this! I think in future I will practice slow warm ups before playing.
shellshock1911
QUOTE (whammysam @ Mar 4 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi folks, just thought I'd share my experience with you. Since a couple of months back, I started playing guitar regularly, after a long time of not playing at all. After a couple of weeks practicing, at about 1/half- 2hrs a day, I noticed numbness developing in my left forearm and thumb/index finger. I wasnt sure what could have brought it on, but never would have associated it with playing guitar.(I was worried it was a heart thing) Finally I got around to speaking with the doctor, he said I have irritation/impingement on the radial nerve, more specifically its the superficial branch of the radial nerve, (don't ask me, its doctor talk blink.gif ) by overuse of the muscles that wrap over and around it.. Bottom line.. NO GUITAR FOR TWO WEEKS! sad.gif I work in a physically demanding job.. Lifting heavy objects most of the day, I could never had foreseen this! I think in future I will practice slow warm ups before playing.

Not a bad idea. biggrin.gif
Tuubsu
not a bad idea indeed... no offense man wink.gif
The Uncreator
Ive suffered a serious injury myself, so have some other members on here.

Once you learn how to avoid it, and recognize the signs, Its A LOT less common wink.gif
Bogdan Radovic
It can be potentially dangerous as any other "sport" would be without proper warm up...I hope you will recover soon!!

Cheers mate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.