Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question For Marcus Siepen
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2
Kyle Logue
I'm sure there are a lot of people here on GMC that are interested to know how you made it.

How did you go from being just a guitarist, to being in a headlining band?
SLASH91
Great question; I'd like to know that too.
Ivan Milenkovic
I would like to know too how and when did you start man if it is ok smile.gif
shellshock1911
I'd say it is mostly through contacts and a huge amount of luck, I don't know though, just my guess!
FretDancer69
man id love to know this too!!! sad.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Mar 9 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd say it is mostly through contacts and a huge amount of luck, I don't know though, just my guess!

AND hard work I guess wink.gif
OrganisedConfusion
And writing amazingly catchy and awesome songs helps smile.gif

Muris should be famous as well. All instructors on this site deserve success.
Trond Vold
Luck? We're not talking Ashley Simpsons here.

It takes ALOT of hard work!
Guitarman700
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Mar 9 2008, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its about hard work, dedication and love of the music. contacts and luck play a very small role.
SLASH91
Only a few bands (excluding pop) are truly lucky. Metallica for example. They got famous basically overnight.
Trond Vold
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Mar 10 2008, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only a few bands (excluding pop) are truly lucky. Metallica for example. They got famous basically overnight.

I wouldnt say that..
Metallica slowly built up a HUGE fanbase in the 80ies, without a single video on MTV or much airplay. Then they got a break with the Black Album.

They played quite big arenas before the Black Album was released
SLASH91
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 9 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldnt say that..
Metallica slowly built up a HUGE fanbase in the 80ies, without a single video on MTV or much airplay. Then they got a break with the Black Album.

They went from playing in clubs one day to touring in stadiums the next. I don't mean that literally of course, but they built up a huge fanbase after Kill 'em All. The Black Album was very commercialized, though, so that was when they got even bigger. But look at other early thrash acts like Megadeth, Exodus, etc. Metallica was insanely popular compared to them.
shellshock1911
I think luck definately plays a huge role, you could say that it is all about hard work, to make things SOUND good, but I know of plenty of bands that work their butt off 24/7, are dedicated like none other, and get nowhere, but usually that is ok, because they just love music so much that being famous is just a plus. So I would say hard work is important, but has a minor role in becoming famous.
Tjchep
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Mar 10 2008, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but I know of plenty of bands that work their butt off 24/7, are dedicated like none other, and get nowhere.

Well.. How'd you get to know them? wink.gif
SLASH91
If you want to be famous, you CAN be famous. It might require quitting your job and touring the country with some other bands. You might have to use your amp as a pillow and eat more than a few cans of beans; but you can make it through hard work. Sure, you could wait around and just hope that a record exectutive is at one of your shows and likes what he hears, but I would perfer the other option.

I just hope that I have the courage to do it some day.
shellshock1911
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Mar 10 2008, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well.. How'd you get to know them? wink.gif

Meh, underground music scenes. I'm not a big fan of hardcore music but there are couple bands in my town at various venues that you can just feel how hard they are trying in their music to make a statement.
Iron King
I'm not sure if I consider luck to be a factor. Some bands may seem like they are over night superstars but, assuming they are any good, they spent countless hours practicing, writing and gigging with little recognition.

Of course there are always pop stars that just know the right people. They get songs written for them, have their voices changed by computers and sadly make millions of dollars... but you know what? I rather be a dirt poor true rocker than to be a marketed image like they are. I don't think any of us want their "luck"

A lot of bands that make it big do so through by being aggressive. Instead of hoping that a record company will sign them, they go out and get a contract.

That being said, just the other day I thought about how it would feel to be in a big band. I'd be very interested in knowing how Marcus got to where he is, and how he feels about it.

I can't even imagine the transition from first learning to play a few notes on guitar to becoming an internationally respected guitarist
swingline
I'd say without a doubt luck is a factor. Hard work is crucial but luck needs to be there for things to work. Now luck has diminished quite a bit due to myspace and such but luck is still necessary.
Marcus Siepen
QUOTE (Muris @ Mar 10 2008, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AND hard work I guess wink.gif

Muris is a wise man wink.gif I guess what made us become the band that we are today is the fact that we shared a vision about what we wanted to achieve, and the will to work for it. We have not been this kind of overnight success that some of you guys talked about, we grew slowly but steadily with every album that we released. We always focused on our vision, we never compromised about this, thats the reason for example why the time between 2 BG albums is not really short. If it takes us 2 years to write 10 or 12 songs for a new album then we will take those 2 years to write them, we don't want only 2 or 3 good songs and fill the rest with weaker stuff just for the sake of releasing an album once a year. I am not saying that we were not lucky, a bit of luck might have been helpful too of course, but luck doesn't make a band last for 20 years in this business wink.gif We put a lot of work into our band, a lot of devotion, and most important, we LOVE what we are doing, we enjoy being in this band.
Guitarman700
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 10 2008, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Muris is a wise man wink.gif I guess what made us become the band that we are today is the fact that we shared a vision about what we wanted to achieve, and the will to work for it. We have not been this kind of overnight success that some of you guys talked about, we grew slowly but steadily with every album that we released. We always focused on our vision, we never compromised about this, thats the reason for example why the time between 2 BG albums is not really short. If it takes us 2 years to write 10 or 12 songs for a new album then we will take those 2 years to write them, we don't want only 2 or 3 good songs and fill the rest with weaker stuff just for the sake of releasing an album once a year. I am not saying that we were not lucky, a bit of luck might have been helpful too of course, but luck doesn't make a band last for 20 years in this business wink.gif We put a lot of work into our band, a lot of devotion, and most important, we LOVE what we are doing, we enjoy being in this band.

exactly. i don't believe in luck.
Juan M. Valero
Inspiring words, Marcus, for all the people that are trying to live with his music ... like me !! tongue.gif
I think we must be prepared for the worse but fight to get the best. That's my thought biggrin.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Mar 10 2008, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
exactly. i don't believe in luck.

Actually small amount of luck is welcome,
just to get to some point(or someone) a little bit easier and faster maybe.
But it's not crucial for sure,hard work and devoting is.
Kristofer Dahl
Thanks for a very inspirational reply Marcus! biggrin.gif

I find this part particularly motivating

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 10 2008, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We always focused on our vision, we never compromised about this, thats the reason for example why the time between 2 BG albums is not really short. If it takes us 2 years to write 10 or 12 songs for a new album then we will take those 2 years to write them, we don't want only 2 or 3 good songs and fill the rest with weaker stuff just for the sake of releasing an album once a year.

Not only does this justify the time gaps between my own band's songs laugh.gif but I also think this applies to playing and practicing in general: If you want quality (and who doesn't ? Quality is what you hear in your favorite musicians) give it some time combined with extremely hard work!
Dejan Farkas
Well I believe that there are two major things in life, things that depend on us and the things that don't.

For the things that depend on us, we cannot hope for the luck but work hard to achieve it, but also need a bit of luck that the other things align with us as well smile.gif
kaznie_NL
I think it's quite hard to stay together for 20 years+. That probably means, you guys just fit eachother, that's cool!
Marcus Siepen
Of course being lucky once in a while is a nice thing, but you just can't make any plans for your own future based on luck, if luck is all you have to offer you won't survive, period! And Kristofer is absolutely right, quality takes time, of course it is possible to write a full album in a few weeks and record it in another few weeks,but will the songs be good ones in the end? Will the album sound good? I have my doubts... well, I know that I can't write songs like that at least tongue.gif
Fran
QUOTE (Dejan @ Mar 10 2008, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I believe that there are two major things in life, things that depend on us and the things that don't.

For the things that depend on us, we cannot hope for the luck but work hard to achieve it, but also need a bit of luck that the other things align with us as well smile.gif

So well explained.

There is an old saying that might be appropiate too, it's something like "Chance favors the prepared mind"

I believe that's true.
Marcus Siepen
QUOTE (Fran @ Mar 10 2008, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So well explained.

There is an old saying that might be appropiate too, it's something like "Chance favors the prepared mind"

I believe that's true.

This is definitely true. German golf pro Bernhard Langer once hit an incredible ball that was actually stuck in a tree, and when some guy asked him in an interview about his immense luck with this ball, his answer was "Yeah, funny, the harder I practice the luckier I get"... Words of wisdom laugh.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 10 2008, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Yeah, funny, the harder I practice the luckier I get"... Words of wisdom laugh.gif

Well said biggrin.gif
Melodic Axeman
for the ones who don't knows bg history, I suggest to read this article:

http://www.the-following.com/page.php?show=history_bg

It's also very funny, it's an interview released by hansi I think smile.gif

Maybe marcus has some other funny things to tell about that time laugh.gif don't you?
Ivan Milenkovic
I've just seen the topics development and had a great inspiration, thanks all, some very nice stuff said, especially from Marcus and Muris.
Kyle Logue
thanks for the responses marcus!
Marcus Siepen
You want to hear something funny about the old BG times? Lol, actually I had to think of this while recording my warming up lesson... back then, warming up for us looked like this... we put our hand above a heater for about 5 minutes rolleyes.gif
Kyle Logue
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 11 2008, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You want to hear something funny about the old BG times? Lol, actually I had to think of this while recording my warming up lesson... back then, warming up for us looked like this... we put our hand above a heater for about 5 minutes rolleyes.gif

haha that's great
Enucleation
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 11 2008, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, that reminded me so much of myself. Whenever my band gets together to jam it is always so cold! The joints are all numb and locked up and we crowd around a tiny space heater/run hot water then warm up exercises...then all over again.

Words of wisdom: practice in warm places!
Khaos Keith
if im playing a show i warm up first, then keep my hands in my pockets in between the time i go on stage haha. oh and i bite on my fingertips a bit before i go on, gets the blood rushing and a little tingly and ready to go, at least it feels that way to me hahah.
Melodic Axeman
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 11 2008, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the secret... the [fornicating] heater! ohmy.gif Tell us the brand!

Edited for language - Andrew
Bogdan Radovic
How do you feel about BG cover bands or bands playing BG covers? Does it compliment you that young people are trying to play your music and enjoy that?

What are your memories of Belgrade and the concert you had here on 22 jul 2007 ? wink.gif

Cheers smile.gif
Marcus Siepen
Of course it is great to see that our music means something to new bands, that we are inspiring or influencing them, so yeah, I love to hear covers that other bands do of our songs. And we also love covering other bands from time to time, like we did with Queen, Deep Purple and many others. And that gig in Belgrade was awesome, all the shows that we played there on the last tour rocked. The only problem that we had last time was our Nightliner, it was so damn hot and the aircondition was about to die tongue.gif The outside temperature was like 42° and inside the bus, WITH the aircondition working, it was around 38°... But playing in Belgrade definitely rocked.
Didrid
Did you ever think about studying physics deeply or working at a bank?
Do you have favorite movies based on World of Warcraft engine?
Did you try other mmorpg? Lineage 2 to be precise smile.gif
What do you think about Quake 3, Starcraft?
Did you see a ufo or any member of BG talked to you about it?
Do you believe in astrology?
Ivan Milenkovic
unsure.gif those are not cool question m8 laugh.gif
Marcus Siepen
QUOTE (Didrid @ May 7 2008, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you ever think about studying physics deeply or working at a bank?
Do you have favorite movies based on World of Warcraft engine?
Did you try other mmorpg? Lineage 2 to be precise smile.gif
What do you think about Quake 3, Starcraft?
Did you see a ufo or any member of BG talked to you about it?
Do you believe in astrology?

Studying physics? ähh.... no wink.gif Working in a bank? No way, I would have to wear a suit and a tie all day long, not my thing tongue.gif My fave movie based on the WoW engine is the cinematic trailer or WoW laugh.gif
If I tried other mmorpg's? What do you mean, other than World of Warcraft???? Are there other games than World of Warcraft?????? tongue.gif Before 2005 I played about every computer game that has ever been released (yeah, I know, I am a bit addicted to computer games), but since the day I bought WoW I stopped playing any other games. All I need is WoW, that's fine for me.
I always loved Starcraft, and I also like Quake 3, just as I loved Parts 1, 2 and 4, but as I just said, since I have WoW I don't really play other games anymore, I buy them, install them, try them for about one hour... and then I go back to WoW rolleyes.gif
Yes, I already saw an UFO, but no, I don't believe in astrology
Harris Sopovic
Why am i not surprised that someone from BG is playing WoW.... ? haha
Marcus Siepen
lol, I don't know, maybe because it is well known that Andre and me are addicted? wink.gif
Harlequin
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ May 8 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol, I don't know, maybe because it is well known that Andre and me are addicted? wink.gif

I think I have a title for the next Blind Guardian album: "Nightfall in World of Warcraft" - or the orchestral album will be about WoW, not LoTR wink.gif
Marcus Siepen
next album??? Orchestral project?????????????? I don't have time for this, I have to raid Mount Hyjal now tongue.gif
Canis
Too bad the music in WoW ain't that epic, though tongue.gif
Harlequin
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ May 8 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
next album??? Orchestral project?????????????? I don't have time for this, I have to raid Mount Hyjal now tongue.gif

Don`t forget that you also have GMC, we are still waiting for new lessons tongue.gif How about a note in the next booklet under "Marcus thanks..."? wink.gif But I'm looking forward to see "Marcus & Andrè thank Blizzards' World of Warcraft for its inspiration" biggrin.gif
Melodic Axeman
marcus how do you guys came out with bard's song? What the hell have you eat at breakfast that day?
Canis
QUOTE (Melodic Axeman @ May 8 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
marcus how do you guys came out with bard's song? What the hell have you eat at breakfast that day?

They problaby ate some cereals called: "Win!" and drank "Pure Awesomeness!", and came up with the Greatest acoustic song EVER biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.