Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Announcement : +1
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Andrew Cockburn
Dear all,

In our ever increasing quest to keep the forum constructive and useful, we'd like to announce a new guideline for members and instructors. It is simply this: the practice of posting one word replies such as "Agree" or "+1" doesn't add a lot to the discussion. We'd far rather see some reasoning behind your agreement, not least because that will in turn spark further discussion.

So, instead of:

".... and Yngwie is the coolest guitar player ever"

"+1"

We'd rather see something like:

".... and Yngwie is the coolest guitar player ever"

"I agree - he did after all singlehandedly invent neo-classical"

This approach keeps discussion flowing and saves on forum inches smile.gif
Tomotoms
Totally agree (apart from the bit about Yngwie inventing Neo-Classical tongue.gif smile.gif ).

I find it quite frustrating trawling through the "+1" posts to get to peoples' opinions, especially when you see a new post has been posted in a thread and you open it up only to see that the poster isn't really saying anything.

Nice one.
Robin
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 28 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This approach keeps discussion flowing and saves on forum inches smile.gif

+1
mattacuk
Good work on this guideline Andrew, I think GMC will be even more productive than ever in the future smile.gif

On a side note, Yngwie is sooooooo COOL !

There I Said it !!! tongue.gif
Davidian
I was waiting until someone posted '+1' biggrin.gif
mattacuk
Good ol Robin hahha biggrin.gif
audiopaal
Sounds good! I think it will be better posts this way! smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Davidian @ Mar 28 2008, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was waiting until someone posted '+1' biggrin.gif

eheheh me too smile.gif

Great job Andrew , this way forum will surly be more informative smile.gif
Siggum
Nice, i like that
ZakkWylde
QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 28 2008, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1

Agreed

No just kidding, i was getting tired of the +1 posts
Jerry Arcidiacono
Agreed.
Robin's post made me laugh a lot biggrin.gif
blindwillie
QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 28 2008, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1

Oh you beat me to it sad.gif
blindwillie
I understand and respect the intention with this, but sometimes it is a useful and convinient way to show support without repeating the arguments. Aftyr a page or two most of it have been vented altready.
Jakub Luptovec
I agree.. but now. .there is nothing more suitable than to say:

+1 (or in other words "Token into cosideration")
Ivan Milenkovic
Nice post Robin wink.gif

I agree with you, reasonable and useful guideline Andrew, it will make the forum a better place for sure. smile.gif
Danilo Capezzuto
Ok sorry if I had put many +1...is just because I agree and my English is not too good, so when someone shares a thought with me I just put +1...Ok I won't do that anymore. I' m the guilty.
MickeM
QUOTE (Danilo Capezzuto @ Mar 28 2008, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok sorry if I had put many +1...is just because I agree and my English is not too good, so when someone shares a thought with me I just put +1...Ok I won't do that anymore. I' m the guilty.

Don't worry about your english. We will always undrstand what you write and it's never about the grammar anyway, it's about guitars biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
I agree Andrew. This will make the discussions more interesting.
blindwillie

No. I'm sure it's not you alone. I do that alot too, and others with us.
rokchik
Great work Andrew. I think this will make the discussions more complete and interesting.
mattacuk
Knowone should worry if they have done it, the point is to build for the future !! wink.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 28 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knowone should worry if they have done it, the point is to build for the future !! wink.gif

Exactly! Noone is guilty we are all just trying to make things better smile.gif

And Robin, as the first person to break the new guideline you are hereby sentenced to listen to nothing but Slide Blues for a week (Hah! What a terrible punishement for a Metalhead like Robin ... hey, wait a minute ...)

And my money was on Botox to be the one who posted "+1" - where were you Botox, why did you dissapoint me biggrin.gif
Robin
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 28 2008, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Robin, as the first person to break the new guideline you are hereby sentenced to listen to nothing but Slide Blues for a week (Hah! What a terrible punishement for a Metalhead like Robin ... hey, wait a minute ...)

I agree - I did after all break the new rule. Terrible punishment indeed.
Muris Varajic

Just take my hand mate,two of us are in same boat when it comes to english,
all for one and one for all. laugh.gif

Good announcement tho Andrew,thanks! smile.gif
audiopaal
QUOTE (Muris @ Mar 28 2008, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually think you're both well versed in english, it's not like it's your primary language so you can't expect to speak/write it perfectly smile.gif And besides, I have never had any problem understanding neither you Muris or Danilo..
Danilo Capezzuto
QUOTE (Muris @ Mar 28 2008, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Give me five! I don't make the spoken intro in my lessons just because I speech English like a dog meow like a cat!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Danilo Capezzuto
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Mar 28 2008, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually think you're both well versed in english, it's not like it's your primary language so you can't expect to speak/write it perfectly smile.gif And besides, I have never had any problem understanding neither you Muris or Danilo..

You really understand my English? Have you drunk maybe?
Thank you Audiopaal.
Joe Kataldo
I'm guilty of +1 too biggrin.gif no more I'll promise ;D
Bondy
Ok ph34r.gif ph34r.gif
Juan M. Valero
mmm it's a difficult question and I don't share 100% your opinion, I think I never posted only "+1" but if somebody wants to post it in the correct situation it will be ok (IMO)...

BTW it's good to keep this advice in mind wink.gif
Kristofer Dahl
Great to see that you guys agree with us - we had quite some discussions about this between mods before announcing.

Personally I don't find "+1" interesting - if that is all the post contains!

Juan M. Valero
mmm Kris, I've seen in other forum that there was a minimum of letters or words for the posts, so you are not able to post only the "+1"...

It woul be a possible solutions, isn't it ??
Trond Vold
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Mar 28 2008, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mmm Kris, I've seen in other forum that there was a minimum of letters or words for the posts, so you are not able to post only the "+1"...

It woul be a possible solutions, isn't it ??

I've seen that too on forums. I think i've also seen blocking on posts with just smileys.
mattacuk
I think as long as were sensible (which we are for sure wink.gif ) we will be ok.

As an extension of the "Yngwie Example" (by the way, this sounds a REALLY cool term laugh.gif - maybe we should patent it)

Something like;

+1

"Paul Gilbert really knows how to alternate pick arpeggios. His playing is the perfect blend of theory and technique - I really like his extended Octave ideas"

laugh.gif laugh.gif

JVM
QUOTE (Danilo Capezzuto @ Mar 28 2008, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You really understand my English? Have you drunk maybe?
Thank you Audiopaal.

biggrin.gif I think all of us who speak primarily english can understand you guys pretty well. Occasionally there's some kind of grammatical error or something but it doesn't really matter, you get your point across fine smile.gif

As to the +1 topic, I think there are a few... feewwwwww circumstances where it's okay but mostly good idea guys smile.gif
botoxfox
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 28 2008, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And my money was on Botox to be the one who posted "+1" - where were you Botox, why did you dissapoint me biggrin.gif

ph34r.gif
SinoMan
I think this thread should get more attention somehow. It's been 2 days now and I haven't noticed it until now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.