Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pod X3 With Metronome?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
mattacuk
OK so im totally impressed with POD X3, AMAIZING tones, very powerful unit. The only thing is, to my knowledge it doesent have an inbuilt metronome like my pandora.

This is a problem for me !! I actually have a lone Korg Metronome which is great, but i cant hear it over my guitar laugh.gif

Typically I would plug a metronome into the line in on my Soundcard to amplify it, but ofcourse the Pod is now occupieing it.

Can I plug my metronome into Input 2 on the Pod? or can someone else think of a solution?

thanks smile.gif
Fran
If it's like pocketpod, it may have a line in/aux input, like the ones used to jam along with a CD/mp3, and you can plug your metronome there.

skennington
Matt,

Are you using Gearbox? It has a built in metronome.
mattacuk
QUOTE (skennington @ Apr 9 2008, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt,

Are you using Gearbox? It has a built in metronome.

What is a gearbox ? smile.gif Sorry im a noob with these things wink.gif
skennington
Gearbox is the amp modeling software from line 6. Does the X3 not come with it?
Would be a black cd and possibly may have come with abbleton recording software as well (red disc)

EDIT: Sorry Matt, did'nt know the X3 had on board modeling and effects. Guess that will be helpful for gigs blink.gif I dont know if the gearbox software is going to help you there mate. I have a Toneport so maybe another owner of a pod will chime in.

Steve

Kevin98497
some metronums allow you to put it in the effects chain so you can put it in the line between the pod and the guitar
Ivan Milenkovic
Can you use Gearbox software from Line 6 with your POD? If so it has built in metronome.
mattacuk
No worries Steve thanks for trying man smile.gif Im a little stumped on this one, I cant live without a metronome!! unsure.gif
skennington
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Apr 9 2008, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No worries Steve thanks for trying man smile.gif Im a little stumped on this one, I cant live without a metronome!! unsure.gif

Anytime Matt. I'm sure someone will chime in soon and offer the solution. biggrin.gif
Chris Evans
Sorry mate not sure either to be honest, I play through headphones so use a click track off the computer.

I have the PODXT, the best person to answer this is Muntahunta, he`s a wealth of knowledge on the X3 smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Nothing though beats the old school one smile.gif
And it gets pretty loud wink.gif
muntahunta
QUOTE (Smells @ Apr 10 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the PODXT, the best person to answer this is Muntahunta, he`s a wealth of knowledge on the X3 smile.gif

hahaha cheers smells tongue.gif

you could put the metronome in the line 2 of the POD but that would mean missing out on the dual tone.

if your using the computer as an amplifier for your pod, try using the metronome in guitar pro, or download one of the many free software metronomes out there.

there is also an aux input on the POD itself so you could run it through that.

if you get REALLY desperate, try setting the effects (delay, etc) to the tempo you want to use and follow the flashing "tap" button. (only if you have the X3 Live)

hope that helps
Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Apr 10 2008, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, I actually had that one years ago. But it was broken... Those clicking monsters cost a bundle let me tell ya wink.gif
mattacuk
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Apr 10 2008, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hahaha cheers smells tongue.gif

you could put the metronome in the line 2 of the POD but that would mean missing out on the dual tone.

if your using the computer as an amplifier for your pod, try using the metronome in guitar pro, or download one of the many free software metronomes out there.

there is also an aux input on the POD itself so you could run it through that.

if you get REALLY desperate, try setting the effects (delay, etc) to the tempo you want to use and follow the flashing "tap" button. (only if you have the X3 Live)

hope that helps

Hey man!
Thanks for your adivce biggrin.gif Im not worried about missing out on the dual tone, I only use the metronome when practicing smile.gif Input 2 has a funny connector, do I need an adapter for this?

Also, is there some special line 6 software for recording or do i need to use something like cubase ? also should i buy a seperate audio interface ? Im a real recording noob wink.gif
preownedguitar
I just use the korg ma30 into the back of the cd in. Works like a charm.
muntahunta
as for the connector, i think your talking about the XLR... thats a problem, just use the "aux in" if you can, if not your going to need an XLR - Jack then a Female To Male Convertor for the XLR... confusing tongue.gif

as for recording, you can use any recording interface, personally i use cubase SX3 and it works fine with the X3 (sometimes get a little delay on the playback of the sound though.)
mattacuk
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Apr 11 2008, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as for the connector, i think your talking about the XLR... thats a problem, just use the "aux in" if you can, if not your going to need an XLR - Jack then a Female To Male Convertor for the XLR... confusing tongue.gif

as for recording, you can use any recording interface, personally i use cubase SX3 and it works fine with the X3 (sometimes get a little delay on the playback of the sound though.)

I see no Aux-in on my X3 Also, currently im plugged into my sound card via the headphone jack on the X3, im guessing this is not the best way? Should i get a "proper" cable ? left and right output are currently un-occupied...

its all so confuseing tongue.gif
Andrew Cockburn
Hi Matt smile.gif

The best possible thing to do is to set up your pod with a decent amp and speakers completely separate form your computer if at all possible - this will make a much btter recording and monitoring environment. When you do this you can ditch your existing soundcard if you want as the pod acts just like a soundcard (assuming you have plugged in the USB cable). You should also use the USB cable for recording, not the input on your soundcard as this will give you much better quality.

Regarding Gearbox - its a piece of software that lets you setup patches on the pod a lot more easily than using the controls on the unit itself, and again it works through the USB cable. Its a free download to pod owners so you should definitely check it out, and as other have said it also has a metronome.

Hope that helps!
muntahunta
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 11 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Matt smile.gif

The best possible thing to do is to set up your pod with a decent amp and speakers completely separate form your computer if at all possible - this will make a much btter recording and monitoring environment. When you do this you can ditch your existing soundcard if you want as the pod acts just like a soundcard (assuming you have plugged in the USB cable). You should also use the USB cable for recording, not the input on your soundcard as this will give you much better quality.

Regarding Gearbox - its a piece of software that lets you setup patches on the pod a lot more easily than using the controls on the unit itself, and again it works through the USB cable. Its a free download to pod owners so you should definitely check it out, and as other have said it also has a metronome.

Hope that helps!

in all my time using POD's i never knew gearbox was free!
I love ya for this bit of info biggrin.gif

-----

ok, i just tried, its not free for me sad.gif

-----
yes it does lol
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Apr 11 2008, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in all my time using POD's i never knew gearbox was free!
I love ya for this bit of info biggrin.gif

-----

ok, i just tried, its not free for me sad.gif

-----
yes it does lol

Ok, not sure where you ended up with that smile.gif but let me clarify:

Gearbox the app for managing your patches and other stuff is free.

Gearbox the VST plugin (basically a POD but in your sequencer) is very much NOT free.

They are called the same thing and even download together but do very different things ...
muntahunta
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 11 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, not sure where you ended up with that smile.gif but let me clarify:

Gearbox the app for managing your patches and other stuff is free.

Gearbox the VST plugin (basically a POD but in your sequencer) is very much NOT free.

They are called the same thing and even download together but do very different things ...

yea i got there in the end tongue.gif
i didnt really look for gearbox as i always thought there was 1 version of it lol.
ive got it now, its actually pretty cool.
mattacuk
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 11 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Matt smile.gif

Hope that helps!

hi Andrew ! thanks for your help.

Could you recommened me and amp and speakers for my pod? or point me in the right direction? smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
Well, you could do worse than just hook it up to a pair of active monitors - whats your price range? You can pay anything from 100 quid to 100,000 !
mattacuk
Say £100 - £200 smile.gif I mainly use the pod for practice, but im keen to start recording ASAP ! biggrin.gif
Andrew Cockburn
The good news is that there is a lot of choice at this price point -

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...product_id/2676

Check these out, but also look below for all the a;ternatives - I like Alesis and Genelec in that price range (though I am not an expert by any means), also M-Audio generally get good writeups smile.gif
muntahunta
a keyboard amp is a good investment, their usually flat so theres no EQ changes to the POD
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Apr 12 2008, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a keyboard amp is a good investment, their usually flat so theres no EQ changes to the POD

Yep, keyboard amps would be great for playing this thing live through as you need a flat amp - for recording though monitors are probably better - ideally you would want both!
mattacuk
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 11 2008, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The good news is that there is a lot of choice at this price point -

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...product_id/2676

Check these out, but also look below for all the a;ternatives - I like Alesis and Genelec in that price range (though I am not an expert by any means), also M-Audio generally get good writeups smile.gif

Those look great! do they just plug into the left and right outputs on the Pod ? smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
Yep, thats pretty much it smile.gif
mattacuk
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 12 2008, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, thats pretty much it smile.gif

thanks andrew! Just one last question. If i purschase say, Cubase for example - how does the software know to use the USB interface on the pod? do i need a special driver etc? smile.gif
muntahunta
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Apr 15 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks andrew! Just one last question. If i purschase say, Cubase for example - how does the software know to use the USB interface on the pod? do i need a special driver etc? smile.gif

the POD comes with drivers, or if they dont you can get them using Line6 Monkey which will download the ASIO driver... it may have a little lag on it though, it all depends on the entire setup of the computer.

i use a m-audio delta-66 instead of the USB. i get no lag whatsoever. i get alot of lag using USB, however my computer is very outdated so it may not effect you
Andrew Cockburn
Absolutely, ASIO is the way to go as Muntahunta says - but don't spend a fortune in Cubase if you don't want to - I am a fan of Reaper as you probably know wink.gif
Young Guitarist
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Apr 10 2008, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing beats that one... cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.