Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building A Guitar
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
g-forcelover
http://www.mustangaxeslinger.com/viewitem....ar_Black_TA150_

I'm in love with this guitar. Does anyone know what woods it is made out of? and any measurments that would help with the building of this guitar? (and how to carve the long part of it with the swirl)
MickeM
IMO It's better you choose the wood from your tone preferences instead of basing the choise of wood from the looks.

And I don't doubt for one second that this guitar has problems with balance.

...will you still think it's a beauty a year from now? unsure.gif
g-forcelover
I probably won't. huh.gif tongue.gif . But I have been dying to get a guitar shaped like a sig. model like that, with a cool, unsual shape, such as this. But most famous guitarists make sig. guitars that are boring. any suggestions?
MickeM
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Apr 17 2008, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I probably won't. huh.gif tongue.gif . But I have been dying to get a guitar shaped like a sig. model like that, with a cool, unsual shape, such as this. But most famous guitarists make sig. guitars that are boring. any suggestions?

I suggest you start with an established shape, like a strat, soloist, PRS doublecut, LP, SG etc.

There are so many reasons people will like one guitare and dislike another. The standard guitar shapes works. That's one reason. The there are soft reasons about what appeals to us, the way our eye and brain understand shapes. A pyramid points upwards which is understood as positive, hands shape as a pyramide signs confidense or superiority, a Flying V will appear as fast, it's going somewhere, it's a winner symbol.
Curvy guitars will resemble the form of a woman, which no matter of which sex appeals to a man has a deep hereditary that goes way back to the beginning of time and will appeal to us. ...guitars were build by men for men so...

It's very seldom new shapes will succeed, we're expecting something appealing, and most seem to be taken already.
One wierd shaped guitar that has succeeded is the Parker Nightfly... beats me. Upper part of it is rather appealing but the rest... Surely when we're rocking in stage (from a mans point of view) the guitar is a symbolism for manhood. Most of us don't want to stand there in front of the audience with a wierdly shaped guitar.
Once a woman said to me that if she could choose to be an instrument her highest wish was to be a guitar, she could envy how well men took care of their guitars and how us men treated the guitar while on stage. I think that what she said makes sence if we should be philosophic. Symbol for manhood, body shaped as a woman.
Another clever woman complimented me for my guitar, color, beautiful etc. If she had been complimenting me, bah.. I'd never fall for that, but my guitar... wow.

See my point? History and inherited instincts says you want to appear with an appealing guitar on stage. Appearing with a freaky guitar would send out all the wrong signals. I know I know, it's the music that counts. But never the less, there's no fooling the subconsious, the guitar is an extension of your body and includes in your body language.

I'd never go on stage with an ugly guitar - sorry for saying this - like the one with the abnormal upper cut. Unless I had some serious inferiority complex laugh.gif

Summing up. I think you should go for a shape that's familiar, chanses are a too creative shape will fail. The already worked out shapes are already balanced. The known shapes of today are appealing to people in one way or another.
And you'll save yourself a lot of problems with finding measures.

I may appear as a nut case but just pick out the goodies from what I wrote and leave the ranting for the dogs biggrin.gif
g-forcelover
Wow. ohmy.gif didn'y expect that much of an answer! tongue.gif I will take you advice, and try a simple design (kind of). a bc rich mockingbird. I already have one, so that will make it a heck of a lot easier. It wil be flat-top, and I will trace the body, then cut it out.
Hisham Al-Sanea
i think the prince has the same guitar
Ivan Milenkovic
Prince has numerous guitars, and they are similar - in the shape of his ankh symbol.

Regarding the topic, I agree with MickeM. If you wanna do some work on a guitar, try first to buy a body and neck and assemble one. Don't carve any complex shapes right away, ro you could end up having a bad quality instrument.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.