Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guitar Sex Change...
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
somecrazyguy09
ok so i was wondering...can you turn a fixed bridge guitar into a tremolo guitar and if so is it even a good idea or will it just ruin the guitar?

[edit] i now realize i should have posted this in the gear forum rather than gear reviews but i was tired and could'nt see right lol
audiopaal
Good question smile.gif
MickeM
It's doable alright, the question is if it's worth the effort. If you look upon it as a fun project, then yes. If you're doing it to save a buck, uhm... no way.

Btw, I moved your thread into Gear.
Trond Vold
I think it will be quite a task replacing a fixed bridge with a tremolo, and not to mention the risk of possibly damaging the guitar alot.

The other way around is alot easier smile.gif
somecrazyguy09
It's doable alright, the question is if it's worth the effort. If you look upon it as a fun project, then yes. If you're doing it to save a buck, uhm... no way.

Btw, I moved your thread into Gear.

yeah the only reason i ask is because the guitar i play on is a fixed bridge but i kinda want a tremolo guitar now but i feel really comfortable playing the guitar i already have and all the guitars with tremolos i've played dont really feel that good so i was just wondering if it was even possible to just pay someone to dig out the body and put a tremolo system on it.

and thanks a lot for moving the thread for me i really appreciate it smile.gif
MickeM
QUOTE (somecrazyguy09 @ Apr 17 2008, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah the only reason i ask is because the guitar i play on is a fixed bridge but i kinda want a tremolo guitar now but i feel really comfortable playing the guitar i already have and all the guitars with tremolos i've played dont really feel that good so i was just wondering if it was even possible to just pay someone to dig out the body and put a tremolo system on it.

and thanks a lot for moving the thread for me i really appreciate it smile.gif

I'm positive you can get a luthier to do it for you. Make sure it's a high quality tremolo or you might get disappointed in the end.
Bluesrock
In my opinion tremolo's r a fun gadget but i dnt put it to any use , they're ok to hav if u hav a locking system but otherwise they're just gna cause tuning issues. my advice is to make sure you're gna use a trem before u risk damaging your guitar.
Ivan Milenkovic
I don't think that's a good idea..

1. On cheap guitar - it's not worth it
2. On expensive guitar - it's not worth it

wink.gif
VinceG
Think of this situation like your getting a tattoo. Think it over for the next 4-6 months, if you still like the idea then feel free to go for it.
Andrew Cockburn
I think you would be better off getting a second guitar with a tremelo system - take the time to find one you really like.

Apart from the advice above, you will also end up losing some sustain if you go for a tremelo, especially a fully floating one.

Having said that, if your style suits it and you have a good piece of kit, tremelos are awesome and can open new places to take your playing so it is definitely worth considering overall.
stratman33
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 18 2008, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you would be better off getting a second guitar with a tremelo system - take the time to find one you really like.

Apart from the advice above, you will also end up losing some sustain if you go for a tremelo, especially a fully floating one.

Having said that, if your style suits it and you have a good piece of kit, tremelos are awesome and can open new places to take your playing so it is definitely worth considering overall.

ya i agree with that, changing it to a trem would be alot of work
Hisham Al-Sanea
if you have a knowledge how to do it so you can do it .if you dont know how i think its
better to buy another one with tremolo.
Bogdan Radovic
I don't think this can be a good idea...I understand your reasons but again...Maybe try some more guitars to find one that fits you...
Enucleation
I really like tremolos, almost to the point where I won't buy a guitar without one. But I don't think it's worth installing it on a fixed bridge guitar, there are sustain and tuning issues, (once you get the hang of it though it isn't too bad. Sustain may not be that bad either) and apart from that if you mess up then you ruined the guitar you really liked.

Just take your time (something I'm not too great at) and find a great guitar with a trem. And like previously said, be sure you will use it if you decide to install it. If you install it and don't use it, waste of a guitar with good sustain and easy tuning, if you buy a new one with a trem and don't use it, at least you still have a good guitar, and a back up one.
Kevin98497
if you got like a thin guitar like a sg it might not be a good idea coz you need to route it n all
Lian Gerbino
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Apr 20 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya i agree with that, changing it to a trem would be alot of work

yes, and i dont think that the guitarĀ“s sound be good sad.gif

my lessons
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.