Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rock Solo Beginner
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Trond Vold
Retribution
I love the tone in this lesson, so I was thinking of printing out the tabs and giving it a shot sometime soon, but I had some questions.

Do you have any advice for practicing that last lick you do with the hammer-ons and pull-offs? I just can't seem to keep the tone going when I'm constantly moving up or down the fretboard while doing nothing but hammer-ons and pull-offs. I think my pull-offs are kinda weak since I can keep the tone going fine with hammer-ons but I have to pick the string every few notes to keep the tone alive when I'm doing pull-offs.

I was gonna just memorize the lick and play it with alternate picking at first and try to do it with nothing but hammer-ons and pull-offs later on.

Cheers! smile.gif
Trond Vold
The trick with pulloffs is that you have to pull-off with a bit more strenght than you used to hammer the note. You sort of have to dig more into the fretboard, if that makes sense.

For practicing, try something like this (slow):

-15p12h15p12p15p12h15p12h17p14h17p14h17p14h17p14h19p15h19p15h19p15h19p15

It's a straightforward pattern with a hammeron, then a pulloff, a hammeron and a pulloff etc, try it on various strings.
Hope this helps smile.gif

But it could also be your amp or distortion pedal that makes you loose tone.
I've noticed that alot of pedals cant produce the right amount of sustain to maintain a string of hammerons and pulloffs.
Retribution
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely be devoting a lot more time to practicing pull-offs than what I have been in the past. I'll start warming up with this exercise as well.

I'll take a quick look at my amp/pedal settings and play around with them for a bit and see what else I come up with. Thanks again for the tips. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.