Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nut File
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
fkalich
just thought I would mention. i had been thinking of this for awhile. as many of you know, nuts are cut higher than they need be. I never understood why. Seems no good reason for it. To me, it should be just like another fret, not much more differential in height between nut and 1st fret, as there is between 1st and 2nd fret. But as you know, they are often much higher than that.

So I finally got a nut file. I think this is a good item. $50 bucks, but over time it will pay for itself. This is something a person can certain do themselves, and even if you screw up, easy to fix. As a person does not have bone dust probably, use superglue mixed with baking powder (I read this) to elevate a slot if you cut it too low. Sure you can pay a shop, but don't count on them understanding what "low as possible" means. no matter how many times you tell them. or expect them to do it right. to me, this is something you are best off doing yourself, if you have several guitars.

I want it as low as possible. to me, you can justify higher fret action. But a nut higher than necessary is just nothing but an impediment, with nothing positive about it. Anyone who feels differently, feel free to point out the error of my ways.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...:EOIBSA:US:1123
blindwillie
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 6 2008, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just thought I would mention. i had been thinking of this for awhile. as many of you know, nuts are cut higher than they need be. I never understood why. Seems no good reason for it. To me, it should be just like another fret, not much more differential in height between nut and 1st fret, as there is between 1st and 2nd fret. But as you know, they are often much higher than that.

So I finally got a nut file. I think this is a good item. $50 bucks, but over time it will pay for itself. This is something a person can certain do themselves, and even if you screw up, easy to fix. As a person does not have bone dust probably, use superglue mixed with baking powder (I read this) to elevate a slot if you cut it too low. Sure you can pay a shop, but don't count on them understanding what "low as possible" means. no matter how many times you tell them. or expect them to do it right. to me, this is something you are best off doing yourself, if you have several guitars.

I want it as low as possible. to me, you can justify higher fret action. But a nut higher than necessary is just nothing but an impediment, with nothing positive about it. Anyone who feels differently, feel free to point out the error of my ways.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...:EOIBSA:US:1123

Thanks for this tip. I have noticed it but haven't thought about if it really needs to be higher. I have to check my nuts now when I get home. *aherm*
MickeM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ May 6 2008, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for this tip. I have noticed it but haven't thought about if it really needs to be higher. I have to check my nuts now when I get home. *aherm*

laugh.gif Keep reporting, especially if you decide to file them down and how that goes biggrin.gif
Bogdan Radovic
You got an interesting item there smile.gif I'll check into it smile.gif
Keep us updated when you lower your action smile.gif
fkalich
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 6 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You got an interesting item there smile.gif I'll check into it smile.gif
Keep us updated when you lower your action smile.gif

will do. i have not actually looked into it, but I figured that a lot of the shred brand guitars come from the factory with a lower cut nut than say gibson or especially fender (who comes usually sky high). I will let you know how the tool works. he gets good reviews on it, seems to be something he invented. I know that he sales them as fast as he can make them, the tend to last about a day usually, and somebody does the buy it now option. then another appears in a day or so. at it is definitely as cheap as you can a full set of nut files. even if you put in a new nut, you can get a blank bone nut for $10, the luthiar charges $50 here, and you have to wait.

btw, I realize I just opened things up for more low brow humor with the last sentence, purely unintentional.
USAMAN
NUT FILE!!???.........sounds very painful
blindwillie
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 6 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
btw, I realize I just opened things up for more low brow humor with the last sentence, purely unintentional.

Now I'm offended sleep.gif

I've checked them and you where right about the Fender. The Schecters though was fine.

And since I'm offended I have no intention of making jokes about the supposed size of nuts. Especially not mexican or american ones ph34r.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Cool and handy tool! COngrats. Definitely a wise purchase. smile.gif
MickeM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ May 6 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And since I'm offended I have no intention of making jokes about the supposed size of nuts. Especially not mexican or american ones ph34r.gif

laugh.gif and as usual the chinese are mass produces and low quality ones while the US are handmade... blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.