Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soloing/ Improvising Question
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > David Wallimann > Technique (David)
jammer91
Hi David,
Ive noticed some really cool licks in your lesson. Now Im wondering how to improvise with them.

Now the things im going to outline here is what I think the improvisation process is about (Im highly likely to be wrong so please do correct me):

Now as I understand the improvisation process, the first step is to use a backing track. Lets say I wished to improvise over this backing track:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...talhead-lesson/

Now I have to find a scale or many scales over this backing track. The scale which I should use along with the key all depends on the backing tracks chord progression.

This step is the problem.

Even if the chord progression is given to me I find it meaningless (to me it looks like letters here and there). Infact, I barely know most of those chords. Im only aware of some open chords. Im not even sure what chords go together with what key (I followed Kris advice in one of his tapping lessons- "just play what sounds good together"). Ive barely practiced chords at all.

So how do I turn the chord progress meaningful. Lets say I wish to use a pentatonic scale and lets say the chord progression is C, D, Am (not sure how they sound, just guessing). Do I:
-Play a play licks in the C major pentatonic, then D major pentatonic and finally A minor pentatonic
-Play a single scale in a single key, which suits the entire chord progression. (how do I decide which one?)

Also how do I pick what scale I use. I currently know the Minor Pentatonic, Natural Minor, and a little bit of Harmonics Minor and Mixolydian. The key im most comfortable with is the key of A.

Oh and the final step which i feel is throw in licks that fit into the scale. Is there any particular rule I should remember when using licks (I think I remember reading somewhere that you shouldnt use notes in a scale that match the chord which is currently being played).

Thanks
David Wallimann
Sorry for taking so long to respond.
Your questions are extremely important and I will prepare a series of lesson dealing with that subject...
Please be patient, I think these lessons will help you. :-)

QUOTE (jammer91 @ May 6 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi David,
Ive noticed some really cool licks in your lesson. Now Im wondering how to improvise with them.

Now the things im going to outline here is what I think the improvisation process is about (Im highly likely to be wrong so please do correct me):

Now as I understand the improvisation process, the first step is to use a backing track. Lets say I wished to improvise over this backing track:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...talhead-lesson/

Now I have to find a scale or many scales over this backing track. The scale which I should use along with the key all depends on the backing tracks chord progression.

This step is the problem.

Even if the chord progression is given to me I find it meaningless (to me it looks like letters here and there). Infact, I barely know most of those chords. Im only aware of some open chords. Im not even sure what chords go together with what key (I followed Kris advice in one of his tapping lessons- "just play what sounds good together"). Ive barely practiced chords at all.

So how do I turn the chord progress meaningful. Lets say I wish to use a pentatonic scale and lets say the chord progression is C, D, Am (not sure how they sound, just guessing). Do I:
-Play a play licks in the C major pentatonic, then D major pentatonic and finally A minor pentatonic
-Play a single scale in a single key, which suits the entire chord progression. (how do I decide which one?)

Also how do I pick what scale I use. I currently know the Minor Pentatonic, Natural Minor, and a little bit of Harmonics Minor and Mixolydian. The key im most comfortable with is the key of A.

Oh and the final step which i feel is throw in licks that fit into the scale. Is there any particular rule I should remember when using licks (I think I remember reading somewhere that you shouldnt use notes in a scale that match the chord which is currently being played).

Thanks

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.