Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pain In Shoulder
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Xecuter88
It seems like no matter how i sit with the guitar, it eventually starts to hurt in my shoulder, in the muscle that's on the outside of the arm. If you know what I mean.

I concentrate a lot about relaxing that arm, but it doesn't seem to help. Is the problem my position, or am I just weak in the muscle? happy.gif
kjutte
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 15 2008, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems like no matter how i sit with the guitar, it eventually starts to hurt in my shoulder, in the muscle that's on the outside of the arm. If you know what I mean.

I concentrate a lot about relaxing that arm, but it doesn't seem to help. Is the problem my position, or am I just weak in the muscle? happy.gif

You haven't been playing long enough. This is also a workout, you gotta build stamina. Lay the guitar down for a day and try again. Everytime you get this poo, you should lay off one day. Basic rules of training.

Edit for language - Smells
Oxac
stretching and massage is very good tools as well. Just as warm-up is biggrin.gif
kjutte
QUOTE (Oxac @ Jul 15 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
stretching and massage is very good tools as well. Just as warm-up is biggrin.gif

stretch before you start though. if you stretch after, you'll ruin the new muscle somewhat.
Bogdan Radovic
Well I'm sure that that muscle is hearting you because you are too much tensed up when playing.I don't think its anything more serious than a normal muscle strain so its not dangerous.Also in train you will train that muscle a bit but most importantly you will learn to relax while playing so you won't have any problems..Trust me this comes in time!
Xecuter88
QUOTE (kjutte @ Jul 15 2008, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You haven't been playing long enough. This is also a workout, you gotta build stamina. Lay the guitar down for a day and try again. Everytime you get this shit, you should lay off one day. Basic rules of training.

I've been playing for 12 years! tongue.gif

And how do I stretch that muscle?
Ivan Milenkovic
Maybe it is the position, can you somehow post a picture of your posture?
IDontWantMyUsername
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 15 2008, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you should try to sit on a more elevated chair? I was at a physical therapist today, and he told me that my posture was a little too crooked, but that it probably was like that because I was sitting in a very low chair. I don't know, worth a try at least tongue.gif
jacmoe
When I get pains like that, I sit down and play for a week or two. smile.gif
Xecuter88
QUOTE (IDontWantMyUsername @ Jul 15 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe you should try to sit on a more elevated chair? I was at a physical therapist today, and he told me that my posture was a little too crooked, but that it probably was like that because I was sitting in a very low chair. I don't know, worth a try at least tongue.gif

I'm am sitting on an elevated chair.

QUOTE (jacmoe @ Jul 15 2008, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I get pains like that, I sit down and play for a week or two. smile.gif

What do you mean? I am sitting down.

Edit: Picture.
Click to view attachment
kjutte
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 15 2008, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been playing for 12 years! tongue.gif

And how do I stretch that muscle?

ahh, ok. I know what's wrong then, but I don't know the english term. anyway, you gotta work out lightly to make it fine again, else you'd have to wait a long time. Don't play guitar though.
Xecuter88
You're from Norway, I'm from Norway, tell me in norwegian! tongue.gif
MickeM
The only thing I think looks odd is that the picture shows your lifting up your right shoulder a bit, perhaps that causes the strain? What if you relax the shoulder as you play, does the pain still appear?
Does standing up and playing with a shoulder strap work better for you when the guitar comes more infront of the body?

Just unqualified guesses, alright! smile.gif
jacmoe
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 15 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you mean? I am sitting down.

My bad. wink.gif
You look really out of balance on that picture! huh.gif

Your legs and your upper body are at the wrong angle for your picking hand, forcing your shoulder upwards.

It will probably help if you put your left leg on a foot stool.

If you have a comfortable pose when standing, try to get the same pose when sitting down. smile.gif
Xecuter88
You might be right. I'll have to practice and see if it happens.
jacmoe
Try a foot stool with your right leg, then your left leg - just experiment. smile.gif
kjutte
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 15 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're from Norway, I'm from Norway, tell me in norwegian! tongue.gif

senebetennelse mann
Xecuter88
I play with my right foot elevated. It keeps the guitar in place and such.
Danilo Capezzuto
Well try with the left foot elevated, just like a classic guitarist. Keep your shoulders up and show us your chest! I really don't like that loose position you have in the picture!! And last, try to relax your right arm by lay it down on the guitar top.
Xecuter88
QUOTE (Danilo Capezzuto @ Jul 16 2008, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well try with the left foot elevated, just like a classic guitarist. Keep your shoulders up and show us your chest! I really don't like that loose position you have in the picture!! And last, try to relax your right arm by lay it down on the guitar top.

You mean holding the guitar between my legs? That's fine, that works... That's how I do most my practicing. The problem with that position is that it gets harder to hold the pick correctly.

What do you mean by loose position?

Edit: The strange thing tho, is that when I sit by the computer and type and such, the right shoulder is slightly elevated, but that doesn't hurt, unless I'm aware of it. happy.gif
jacmoe
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 16 2008, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean holding the guitar between my legs? That's fine, that works... That's how I do most my practicing. The problem with that position is that it gets harder to hold the pick correctly.

I think your picking hand needs to adjust!

I had to adjust when I finally caved in and changed my playing position. Suddenly my picking angle was all wrong and I couldn't pick the way I used to.
After a while it got even better than it was before.

You just need to be very aware of any tension, anywhere. Get rid of it. smile.gif
shellshock1911
Hit the gym, lateral raises, forward raises, upright rows, military presses, behind head presses. The pain will be gone in no time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.