Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Song/solo You Learnt On Guitar/bass?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Pages: 1, 2
vintageplaya666
I'm not entirley sure if this has been asked before but I'm curious.

What's the first song/solo you learned to play on guitar or bass?

The first song I learned to play was Come As You Are By Nirvana, and the first solo I learnt was the Smells Like Teen Spirit Solo haha

First song I learnt on bass was Come Together by The Beatles (Not By Choice, had to stand in as a bassist for a local band to play that song for a one off gig)
Storm Linnebjerg
The first song I learned to play was Come as You Are by Nirvana, and the first solo I learned was the Smells like Teen Spirit solo! tongue.gif laugh.gif
DeepRoots
My friend taught me james bond on a bass. I later found out you could play it exactly the same on guitar ohmy.gif
vintageplaya666
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 17 2008, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The first song I learned to play was Come as You Are by Nirvana, and the first solo I learned was the Smells like Teen Spirit solo! tongue.gif laugh.gif

Haha, quite funny that we both learnt the same things when we first started. I've completley forgot them both now and don't intend to re-learn them as I dont like Nirvana anymore.
Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (vintageplaya666 @ Jul 18 2008, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha, quite funny that we both learnt the same things when we first started. I've completley forgot them both now and don't intend to re-learn them as I dont like Nirvana anymore.

I can play the main riff of both songs, but that's about it. Wouldn't take long to relearn though, but I don't intend to either.
beebo
lol laugh.gif i think my first solo was the "smoke on the water" solo...and it wasn't ..actually that easty huh.gif
SEANCD2005
I think the first song i learned was seek and destroy by metallica and the first solo i learnd was the intro solo to sanitarium
Xose Pineda
The Godfather tune here... smile.gif Was funny... long ago.

Cheers!
Trond Vold
The intro to Metallica - One smile.gif

The first solo i tried to learn was first One solo, but without much luck smile.gif
sigma7
first song tnt by ac/dc 1st solo eruption by eddie van halen...which took a while mind u
Ctodd
the first 2 things i really got down perfectly were the intro to Enter Sandman, and the intro to Good Riddance by Greenday
IDontWantMyUsername
The first melody I learned was Gorillaz - Starlight actually, but the first whole song was Coldplay - Fix You tongue.gif smile.gif
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (vintageplaya666 @ Jul 18 2008, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and the first solo I learnt was the Smells Like Teen Spirit Solo haha

Funny! Smells like teen spirit was the first solo for me as well biggrin.gif
superize
I think the first song i learned was Carousel by Axel Rudi Pell

Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Jul 18 2008, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that's the case for a lot of people! laugh.gif
Matt23
Good Riddance - Green Day, or might have been the intro clean part to sanitarium.
Ivan Milenkovic
Hmm, a first song... let's see, something from local rock band, very famous here called Riblja Corba (good ol' shelter days - ''dva dinara druze", "dobro jutro", "muzicari koji piju"....) biggrin.gif
OrganisedConfusion
First song I learn on guitar was Come As You Are also. First solo I learnt was to Sappy by Nirvana and Here Comes Your Man by The Pixies.

First Bass song I learnt was Man On The Moon by REM
TreyDeschamp
I kinda learned all these songs in like one week and just practice them every now and then

Breaking the Law -Judas Priest
Becoming the Bull- Atreyu
My Heroine intro- Silverstein
ZakkWylde
My first song was ''For whom the bell tolls'' by Metallica and the first solo I learned was the ''Enter Sandman'' solo when I bought my wahwah
vintageplaya666
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Jul 18 2008, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe, seems like a fair few learnt something by Nirvana first...Can you still play the Smells like teen spirit solo Marcus? tongue.gifsmile.gif
chmilew
My first song was the intro from Metallica's Nothing else matters
The solo, hmmm I think it was Knockin' on heavens door first solo smile.gif
TwistedSun
I learnt a bunch of Christmas carols on bass for a party that I played at. The first entire song that I learnt on guitar was One by Metallica. That song was the entire reason I started playing guitar. Classical taps by David Wallimann sure helped out for the mega solo.
Canis
The first two parts of the electric guitar in Iron Maiden - Afraid to Shoot Strangers ^^
wrk
Not really proud of, but together with my electric guitar i bought a Scorpions songbook. Every afternoon when i came back from school i played the complete "World Wide Live" Album. First air guitar only and then more and more correct cords. Very busy tour schedule .. smile.gif

... i still own something to my family to have stand me in this time smile.gif

chast
Hm, I can't remember which the first song that I learned completely blink.gif
But the first solo I learned was of a song called Schrei nach Liebe by a national famous band called Die Ärzte and I still know how to play it wink.gif
Disturbed21
First complete song i learned was either the marilyn manson version of sweet dreams or fully alive by flyleaf (Cant remember). First Solo i learned was the opening solo to Fade to black by metallica.
bubbalicious
i think it was three blind mice or somthing
sigma7
haha old school three blind mice
Ctodd
three blind mice.......... heavy metal version????

(something to think about intructors! tongue.gif )

.......seriously though.......
Skalde
I think it was 'King of Fools' by Edguy.
kjutte
Nothing else matters, by Metallica.
Gerardo Siere
Wonderful tonight by Eric Clapton.
gnrrock
The first song i learned how to play on guitar was Hells Bells by AC/DC but i could never quite get the solo. laugh.gif

So instead i learned the first solo in Nightrain by Guns N' Roses
Bedlam
"The first song I learned to play was Come As You Are By Nirvana, and the first solo I learnt was the Smells Like Teen "

Those are the exact ones I learned first!
VinceG
A lot of early Black Sabbath. I think Iron Man was my first song, without the solo of course.
swingline
My first solo was Hanger 18 by Megadeth.

Just kidding biggrin.gif I think it was Enter Sandman. smile.gif
Antonio23
QUOTE (vintageplaya666 @ Jul 17 2008, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol the first solo (and song in general) that i learned was smell like teens spirits too
the solo seemed so dificult at the time biggrin.gif
Fidelman
Mine must be Stairway to Heaven (the shame!!) and second was Green River (by CCR). First solo wass "You shook me all night long"
2 years later i find myself covering Meshuggah.....people change laugh.gif
Tuubsu
well my first song was also Stairway to heaven, but the first solo was from nothing else matters from metallica, which by the way was suprisingly easy as I couldn't even play the intro to that back then! laugh.gif
sigma7
I HATE Stairway and LED ZEPLINE I DONT CARE IF I SPELLED THEIR STUPID NAME RIGHT
Fsgdjv
The first solo I leanred to play as a whole was the solo from Opeth's song When from My Arms Your Hearse. Alltough, I recorded it and if I listen to those recordings now I hear that it's really sloppy and everything. I can play it a bit smoother now though, but I'm not very clean at the sweeps in the end. (Wich I obviously alternate pick and not sweep, seeing as how cool I am)
Tuubsu
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Jul 20 2008, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I HATE Stairway and LED ZEPLINE I DONT CARE IF I SPELLED THEIR STUPID NAME RIGHT

Wow, that was unnecessary... huh.gif
TwistedSun
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Jul 19 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Meshuggah wouldn't exist if it wasn't for zepplin.
Tjchep
First song I attempted to learn was actually Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin. I learned some of it, then realised it was too hard.

First whole song I learned was really Californiacation by The Red hot Chili Peppers. And that was my first solo too. I though I was so badass that I could play it, thought it was fast at the time too. sad.gif

I loved my early days of guitar playing. Miss my first guitar instructor. sad.gif. Had some good jams with him.
kahall
It's been about 1 1/2 years of playing daily for me and I still have not learned anything anyone would recognize unless they just happened to be a member here. So, I am thinking when I can finally play in front of someone (without them covering their ears) they will think I sure do know a lot of cool licks. He's so original. ;-)

QUOTE (sigma7 @ Jul 19 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? Are you sure? I am not a big fan of Led Zepplin but I like this song.
sigma7
i no this is guitar blasphemy because i get a lot of crap about it at home . . .

I HATE JIMMY PAGE TOO

haha
Tjchep
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Jul 20 2008, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i no this is guitar blasphemy because i get a lot of crap about it at home . . .

I HATE JIMMY PAGE TOO

haha

Take it back!!!
swingline
I don't really like Zepplin either but I do like Stairway to Heaven, I do get alot of crap for not liking them also.
wrk
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Jul 20 2008, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I HATE JIMMY PAGE TOO

haha

How a musician is able to HATE another musician ... something what will never go in my brain. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.