Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pop & Rock Sub-genres At Gmc
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Kristofer Dahl
Ok thanks to your advice (and especially JeronKoles') we have now got sub-genres in the metal section of the VIDEO LESSONS page.

The next section we would like to tackle is "Rock & Pop" - which is even more messier then the metal section was...

How do you think we should split it up? What makes most sense? Which sub-genres?

Thanks for helping! smile.gif
skennington
I'll try to add a few sub-genre's

• British Invasion
  • EMO
  • Glam Rock
  • New Wave
  • Pop Punk
  • Power Pop
  • Surf Rock
  • Synth Pop
Here's a good example of how it evolved

Pop Rock Genealogy

jacmoe
I don't know..
I think your list is a bit overkill, Skennington. smile.gif

The problem is that genres overlap..

Blues rock
Hard rock (metal and rock)
Punk rock
Progressive rock
Rockabilly
Pop rock
Folk rock
Grunge

It was easier with metal, because that's a sub-genre of rock. wink.gif
skennington
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Aug 29 2008, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know..
I think your list is a bit overkill, Skennington. smile.gif

It was easier with metal, because that's a sub-genre of rock. wink.gif

I know. Maybe we should just lable it "Top 40" Oh but wait, then we would have to add some rap lessons............ ohmy.gif

No,No, forget that idea laugh.gif
Juan M. Valero
mmm I like jacmoe list, but I'm gonna do another:

Blues rock
Hard rock
Punk
Grunge
Pop
Ballad
Rock (or Other)

and maybe
Folk
Vintage
Surf
Kristofer Dahl
I think we are onto something here - please keep it coming! smile.gif

What does everyone think of the suggestions we have got so far?
kyldeee
I like jacmoes idea, and some adds from Juan's list smile.gif
Emir Hot
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 30 2008, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What does everyone think of the suggestions we have got so far?

I think this is realy hard to split into sections. There are many rock sub-genres but in the end it's all rock. I think it will be more confusing to search using tens of sub genres than just simple category Rock (all kinds).

However I can name you some sub-genres

Industrial rock
Indie Rock
Heavy rock
Melodic rock
Hard rock
Classic rock
Progressive rock
Psychedelic rock
Punk rock
Pop rock
Acid rock
Country rock
Electronic rock
Experimental rock
Neoclassical rock
Symphonic rock

etc...
Gus
Yeah, I agree with Emir that lots of categories makes it confusing.
I would go as simple as possible, keeping only the "umbrella" categories (since most of what has been cited are actually sub genres of these)

Hard rock
Pop rock
Ballad
Others
Canis
Gus' suggestion seems to be the tidiest, in my opinion smile.gif Maybe just add "Punk" in there?

By the way, will this mean there might be sub-genres in the "Blues and Country" section as well? Cus' those two genres are as far apart as moon and sun, in my humble opinion tongue.gif
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Canis @ Aug 30 2008, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the way, will this mean there might be sub-genres in the "Blues and Country" section as well? Cus' those two genres are as far apart as moon and sun, in my humble opinion tongue.gif

Absolutely - you should be seing them in separate subsections very soon! smile.gif
Emir Hot
In this case every style has many subsections. Jazz can be fussion jazz, be-bop/swing, gypsy jazz, acid jazz... If this is the point of this topic then let's give subsection names for each style.
Ian Bushell
Juan has a cool list i think.
Juan M. Valero
thanks Ian, I think that as we haven't got too much punk and grunge we can pu them together, for example...
I think Gus list is also good one.
Ivan Milenkovic
My vote is for simplicity of the matter, so members could find anything they like, and also that categories actually be filled. Juan gave a good suggestion, but Gus also made it very simple.

I could recommend a category, it's time related:

'50 rock
'60 rock
'70 rock
'80 rock
'90 rock
rock after 2000

Fran
So far I see Gus list + Punk as the best option, but then again that might be because I'm not really "genre" savvy... so I prefer it simple.
jacmoe
Gus' list is simple, and boils down to three: rock, pop, punk.

This is difficult ! laugh.gif

As guitarists, what sections do we like to have?

Classic.
Progressive.
Alternative.
Blues.
Grunge.

Bleh. tongue.gif

And what about fusion punk ? huh.gif

The only thing we need is to sort the lessons a bit, so that people can find the lessons they like.
Kristofer Dahl
Ok so I think we will go for Gus suggestion and add punk. We get:

Hard rock
Pop rock
Punk rock
Ballad
Others
kjutte
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 29 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok thanks to your advice (and especially JeronKoles') we have now got sub-genres in the metal section of the VIDEO LESSONS page.

The next section we would like to tackle is "Rock & Pop" - which is even more messier then the metal section was...

How do you think we should split it up? What makes most sense? Which sub-genres?

Thanks for helping! smile.gif

personally I like the way it is.
kaznie_NL
I think it's a great idea to get it more ordered. I think that some lists are prety long, that won't work, they'll just overlap. maybe this is good:
Classic rock (60 70 80 rock)
Hard Rock
Ballads
Pop Rock
Bluesy rock
The rest

EDIT: I saw this has already been done on the metal and "in the style of" lessons. In the style of has a list, but not with all the artists. How can we get the full list?

EDIT2: where did the band class page on the main page went to?? It should be there! Same for the Blog button, I lost it tongue.gif
Marcus Siepen
doesn't hard rock more or less belong to the Metal section? God, those subcategories can be tricky wink.gif
audiopaal
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 31 2008, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
doesn't hard rock more or less belong to the Metal section? God, those subcategories can be tricky wink.gif

I would also think that Hard Rock belongs in the Metal section..
When did that become Pop? smile.gif
Marcus Siepen
Since Aerosmith discovered ballads for themselves wink.gif
Daniel Robinson
Lol Marcus,

I was going to mention Aerosmith until i read the last post by you.

Cause frankly when i think metal i don't put Aersosmith in that category.

Daniel
Marcus Siepen
Not really smile.gif I love that band, they have tons of great songs and Dream on is one of the best, but when Liv started to star in their videos it got a bit too poppy for me wink.gif
Canis
Wow, massive and effective cleanup, dear administrators =)

For those who haven't noticed yet, go to Video Lessons and take a look. Very clean and easy to find exactly what you're looking for, in my humble opinion =)

+1 to the Administrator team ^^
audiopaal
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 31 2008, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since Aerosmith discovered ballads for themselves wink.gif

Hehehe biggrin.gif
blindwillie
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 31 2008, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say the other way around. Metal is a subcategory to hard rock. Metal is a spawn from hard rock tongue.gif

Don't make forum subgenres. It's hard to categorize and makes it confusing and hard to find your way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.