Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: warning to all guitar players read this!!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
bricktop
Our front loader washing machine broke on Saturday, so I called a repairman to come out on Monday. The water would not drain on the final spin cycle, so he figured it was either a clogged hose or something bad with the motor that drains the water out of the machine.
Well it wasn't the hose, everything drained fine when siphoned out. He took out the motor and guess what?
One guitar pick jammed it up. There were a few in there on the bottom but one got caught in the blades and got chewed up. So rather than risking the integrity of the motor we got a new one.
125.00 dollars for a new motor and installation, for leaving picks in my jeans. Not to mention the wife having to say "I told you to clean out your pants!!"

But wait, there's icing on the cake of this story, when he drained out the washer, it leaked through the floor to the basement and guess what was underneath the laundry room? My computer. It looked like someone dumped a bucket of water on top of my desk. Somehow, I got extremely lucky, and the tower didn't get any water in it, but my keyboard was destroyed. Needless to say I spent half the night drying stuff off and moving the desk, to the opposite side of the basement.

Just thought I'd share my funny life lesson with you all!

smile.gif

John
Rvddps
thats unlcuky mate, im glad your computer didnt get screwed, cos that would have been the icing on the cake tongue.gif.

I have once before left a pick in my trousers when i put them into the wash, but fortunately, nothing happened smile.gif
Kristofer Dahl
Holy - thanks for sharing. I find picks in the washing machine on a regular basis - no more of that!
PickNGrin
Yeah! I find picks in the washer too! Geez! this is a god story!
Paul Coutts
thanks for that actually. Could save someone 125 dollars!
buckjones
Yeah, thanks for the info!!! I'm going to make sure I never leave picks in my pockets anymore!
Chris Evans
Yea I often empty the filter on the washing machine and find a few picks in there (thats where they must go when Pavel hasnt pinched them off my desk! tongue.gif )

I`ve got a bigger problem at the moment as my one year old daughter has figured out how to open the door of the washing machine put in toys, spoons etc turn the washing machine on and by pressing several buttons can start a programme running! mad.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif
Tank
QUOTE (Smells @ Dec 13 2007, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I`ve got a bigger problem at the moment as my one year old daughter has figured out how to open the door of the washing machine put in toys, spoons etc turn the washing machine on and by pressing several buttons can start a programme running! mad.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Has she started singing in there yet? Mines trick was to stick her head in feet dangling outside, and just sing "Ahhhh ahh, Ahhh, EEEEeeeee, OOOWWWWWwww, AaaaAAAAA" for hours, just to get the groovy reverb in there biggrin.gif
Chris Evans
QUOTE (Tank @ Dec 13 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has she started singing in there yet? Mines trick was to stick her head in feet dangling outside, and just sing "Ahhhh ahh, Ahhh, EEEEeeeee, OOOWWWWWwww, AaaaAAAAA" for hours, just to get the groovy reverb in there biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif no not yet m8, the washing machine is one of her favourite toys atm tho!
David.C.Bond
QUOTE (Tank @ Dec 13 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaha I used to do that! And I'd totally fogotten about it.
Toni Suominen
Thanks for the info bricktop, I never remember to empty my pockets biggrin.gif
David.C.Bond
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Dec 13 2007, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never remember to empty my pockets biggrin.gif

Yeah same here, although I never keep plectrums in my pocket so I've never found any of those in the washing machine but I often leave tissues/receipts etc in my pockets and open the door to find remnants of paper and various shrapnell all over my stuff! Which is extremely annoying mad.gif
Muris Varajic
Thanks for sharing this interesting story!! smile.gif
Sorry for keys tho sad.gif
MickeM
blink.gif
Sorry that one pick came at such a huge cost! You should frame it!!!

Thanks for sharing, funny store, just too bad everything got ruined! tongue.gif
fkalich
I'm pretty careful about that, but will be even more so in the future.

While on the subject of things to be careful about, be careful with knives. Almost 2 years ago I was using a sharp Japanese to take fat off of chicken. Knife slipped, took a good slice of the tip of my index finger on my left hand. Down to the muscle. I was surprised that it all grew back. I had not stated playing at the time, but that would have stopped me for months had I been playing. The finger also hurt for 6 months.

One guitarist recently drove a screwdriver though his left hand, damaging tendons.

Another thing is falling, you can really hurt your wrists. I go out on the ice all the time (dog goes for long walks) and wear these cleats that strap to my feet. They work well. Ice is real dangerous. You don't see it, and you are down. They are called Stabliicers, the mail men use them.

And the point is, people here like to play guitar, and if you hurt yourself, you won't be playing. Use your head. When you cut with a knife, always roll up your finger tips so if the knife slips, it only glances off the side of the fingers. That is what chefs always do on tv. Sooner or later, a knife will slip. Be careful. Life is dangerous enough without unnecessary dangers.

edit: well, no muscle in fingers, I know. well whatever, half of my finger tip was gone, and I was looking at a big red circle. only good thing about it, no point in running to the emergency room. not like they could do anything about it. My tetanus shot was current. One good thing about GMC, have learned to spell better. Such as the word tetanus. Now I know I have looked like an idiot all my life, the way I have spelled some words.
Andrew Cockburn
Every one of fkalich's posts is like a journey that you surf along - gotta love it biggrin.gif
Jeff
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 13 2007, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every one of fkalich's posts is like a journey that you surf along - gotta love it biggrin.gif

I'm a fkalich fan. His posts are great. I like to hear about his cats! biggrin.gif
MickeM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 13 2007, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+1 biggrin.gif
Bogdan Radovic
I hold my picks in my mobile phone (Open battery slot stick some in there and than close the plastic slot tightly) so I'm always sure that I have them with me wink.gif Never had any accidents with washing machine that way smile.gif Although when my mobile falls on floor/ground it goes into million pieces and I have to pick up the picks all over the place wink.gif

smile.gif
Eat-Sleep-andJam
QUOTE (bricktop @ Oct 24 2006, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our front loader washing machine broke on Saturday, so I called a repairman to come out on Monday. The water would not drain on the final spin cycle, so he figured it was either a clogged hose or something bad with the motor that drains the water out of the machine.
Well it wasn't the hose, everything drained fine when siphoned out. He took out the motor and guess what?
One guitar pick jammed it up. There were a few in there on the bottom but one got caught in the blades and got chewed up. So rather than risking the integrity of the motor we got a new one.
125.00 dollars for a new motor and installation, for leaving picks in my jeans. Not to mention the wife having to say "I told you to clean out your pants!!"

But wait, there's icing on the cake of this story, when he drained out the washer, it leaked through the floor to the basement and guess what was underneath the laundry room? My computer. It looked like someone dumped a bucket of water on top of my desk. Somehow, I got extremely lucky, and the tower didn't get any water in it, but my keyboard was destroyed. Needless to say I spent half the night drying stuff off and moving the desk, to the opposite side of the basement.

Just thought I'd share my funny life lesson with you all!

smile.gif

John

Crap ! Im in trouble then , I always find picks in the washer mellow.gif
The Uncreator
I find SO many picks in my dryer. laugh.gif

i should watch out smile.gif
Smikey2006
Thanks for the headsup.. i go to a laundramat tho.. so.. its their washer i would break biggrin.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Wow man, thats bad luck, but an interesting story, thanks for sharing smile.gif

My bands singer recently got me a pickup holder so I dont keep them on my lips, in jeans or leave them laying around. Cheap and very practical stuff.
Dejan Farkas
it's time for commercials biggrin.gif

fingerpicking is safer wink.gif
Owen
I never lost a single plectrum in my first two years of playing.

Since then I've lost many...

PFff, beginners luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.