Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard Rock Soloing - Collaboration
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Instructors Corner
Pages: 1, 2
Emir Hot
Hi

This is my first collaboration and I would appreciate if we give it a go. The track has 3 parts so you have enough time to develop the melody and demonstrate some cool rock soloing. Feel free to use any technique. There are cool places for tapping, arpeggios, tremolo bar licks... Use anything that can make it sound rock/heavy.

Tempo is 120 bpm and it starts in the key of D. It's actually D5 over the intro riff so the scale choice is yours. I recommend using D minor pentatonic for the start. After you have Gm, C, F, Bb, Eb, Edim, F, A7 and intro riff again.

There is no limited number of participants. Whoever is interested he/she is very welcome. I will mix the track in 2 weeks and give comments on each take. Please leave one second before the end (don't play the last second) so I can join each take with no crossplaying in the mixed track. Also make sure that you import the track at zero point in your software and also export your solo (only) from zero as well.

You can submit your files on this thread and I will open a new one with the comments and final mix of each take.

The deadline is 9th November (2 weeks)

I hope you will find this one interesting and I wish you great soloing.

------------------------------------------------------

List of current participants:

1. Kristofer Dahl
2. Pedja Simovic
3. Ivan Milenkovic
4. Jose Mena
5. Muris Varajic
6. Zsolt Galambos
7. Andrew Cockburn
8. Lian Gerbino
9. Marcus Siepen
10. Piotr Kaczor
--------------------------------------------------------
Kristofer Dahl
Excellent Emir - you have laid it out it in a simple and smooth way...I'm in! biggrin.gif
Emir Hot
Great Kristofer. I can't wait to hear your take. I hope we will have more responses from instructors.
Jose Mena
Awesome, Can I play?
Emir Hot
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Oct 27 2008, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome, Can I play?

Sure man. You rock, this track should be good for your shreding skills.
Jose Mena
Thanks Emir, I'm honored
Pedja Simovic
This sounds great Emir !
I would like to give it a go.
Can you help me out about Zero point import and export ? I am not quite getting what you mean by this.
I use Nuendo so I will import the audio (mp3) there, open another audio and then record my solo over it.
Whats next step - where does zero point thing kick in ?

Thanks

Emir Hot
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Oct 27 2008, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This sounds great Emir !
I would like to give it a go.
Can you help me out about Zero point import and export ? I am not quite getting what you mean by this.
I use Nuendo so I will import the audio (mp3) there, open another audio and then record my solo over it.
Whats next step - where does zero point thing kick in ?

Thanks

Hi Pedja, thanks for joining the collaboration.

Zero point is when you import the backing track from the start (first bar). Some software counts 1st bar as 0 (zero) and some 1. Make sure you set your tempo 120 before importing the track. You will notice that the 1st bar of my audio is empty and the click starts form the 2nd bar. If you look at bar count in your software it shoud perfectly match the beat of the song. When you export your guitar part, export from the first bar (from zero) no matter at what second you start playng. The audio file should be exported from the beggining of your Nuendo track. That way is to make sure that your guitar track matches my backing track when I import it in my project for mixing.
Ivan Milenkovic
I'm in as well Emir, count me in smile.gif

PS it would be cool to make a list of instructors that are in in your first post, you can edit the post. just a suggestion mate.
Emir Hot
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 27 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in as well Emir, count me in smile.gif

PS it would be cool to make a list of instructors that are in in your first post, you can edit the post. just a suggestion mate.

Thank you for the suggestion. I edited my post, now we have the list of participants
Muris Varajic
I'm in bro,
good luck with your first collab! smile.gif
Emir Hot
Thank you bro. I can't wait to hear what you are going to play smile.gif
Jose Mena
I'm in Emir
Muris Varajic
Backing was soo great so I had to play it right away!! smile.gif

Btw,I'm posting both with and without backing takes
cause I didn't understand "zero point" as well,
it's just for better overview.
Anyhow,both takes are starting from the same spot
as the backing audio,with silence at the beginning included.

Cheers bro,good one! smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

P.S. perhaps sound of my take is a bit dark
so feel free to do whatever you want using EQs!
Emir Hot
Thanks. I won't give any comment at this point smile.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 27 2008, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. I won't give any comment at this point smile.gif

None asked,thanks for great backing once more! smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Great take Muris, awesome mix of techniques
Pedja Simovic
Awesome take Muris!

I will try to do mine today hopefully smile.gif
Zsolt Galambos
Hi Emir!

Can I join? This is such a cool sounding track, I would really like to take my try!:)

Zsolt
Emir Hot
QUOTE (Zsolt Galambos @ Oct 31 2008, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Emir!

Can I join? This is such a cool sounding track, I would really like to take my try!:)

Zsolt

Sure mate, I'll put you on the list in my first post smile.gif Great that you're joining.
Andrew Cockburn
Hi, I'd love to join too please! Although my take won't be as cool as Muris' !
Jose Mena
Man, this is going to rock, I'll do mine this weekend, I am listening and trying to think of nice melodies in my head first, before I pick up the guitar to do this.
Emir Hot
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 31 2008, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I'd love to join too please! Although my take won't be as cool as Muris' !

Very cool Andrew. You are on the list smile.gif Don't worry about shreding, play anything that rocks smile.gif Thanks for joining

QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Oct 31 2008, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, this is going to rock, I'll do mine this weekend, I am listening and trying to think of nice melodies in my head first, before I pick up the guitar to do this.

I am sure I will like your take. You are a great player
Lian Gerbino
hi emir, cool BT wink.gif I wanna play too, if there´s time of course wub.gif
Emir Hot
QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Oct 31 2008, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi emir, cool BT wink.gif I wanna play too, if there´s time of course wub.gif

Of course man. The deadline is 9th November. Plenty of time. I added you on the list smile.gif
Lian Gerbino
cool man! thanks biggrin.gif
Jose Mena
Hey Emir, one more question. When I record guitar I always do it dry 100% dry, just distortion and that is it, that way I hear the mistakes clearly, when mixing I add the reverb, delay, chorus, whatever I have to do to alter the tone to sound to what I had in mind. Should I send you the solo take completely dry for you to add the effects as you please when you mix, or add the effects myself?.
Emir Hot
It is better if it's dry so I can add effects. Of course you can leave distortion. You can make one mix with effects you like so I will try to reproduce them in my mix.

I am just thinking, maybe there is no problem if you send it with effect. I can try to stick that one in the project as well and see what happens. If it works then no problem. I suggest that you send both and I'll see what will come out of it.

The thing is that this is just a collaboration so I am not thinking to spend 10 days mixing smile.gif It doesn't need to be million dollar production but if everbody gives outstanding results then I would consider doing really proper top mix which can be usefull for GMC promotion (if Kristofer agrees of course).

Cheers
Marcus Siepen
Hey Emir, I would love to join too, unfortunately I can't guarantee that I will make it in time but I will try to come up with something within the next 10 days.
Emir Hot
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Nov 1 2008, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Emir, I would love to join too, unfortunately I can't guarantee that I will make it in time but I will try to come up with something within the next 10 days.

Sure Marcus. I'll put you on the list and if you make it then great. If not, no worries smile.gif Thanks for trying anyway
Andrew Cockburn
Here is my take smile.gif
Emir Hot
Excellent Andrew. Thanks.
Muris Varajic
Sorry for spamming,great take Andrew,
I'm glad you gave it a shot! smile.gif
Emir Hot
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 1 2008, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no spam bro. Feel free to say anything about this collaboration. My word will be the last hahaha smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 1 2008, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I really enjoyed it so thanks for convincing me to take a shot, and thanks to Emir for putting such a cool backing together!
Jose Mena
Nice takes, Muris and Andrew, I started jamming to it today, only shred came out, maybe I will go all shred with this one, I feel the backing wants me to.
Ivan Milenkovic
Great take Andrew, very melodic and rockin! smile.gif
Piotr Kaczor
Wow! This Hard Rock BT makes me crazy!!! May I try, Emir?
Kristofer Dahl
It's awesome to see both new and older instructors in here - this is going to be such a cool collab! biggrin.gif

Now I seriously need to come up with something cool...! unsure.gif
Emir Hot
QUOTE (Piotr Kaczor @ Nov 3 2008, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! This Hard Rock BT makes me crazy!!! May I try, Emir?

Sure Piotr, that would be great. You have 6 days left. I will put you on the list.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 3 2008, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's awesome to see both new and older instructors in here - this is going to be such a cool collab! biggrin.gif

Now I seriously need to come up with something cool...! unsure.gif

I agree. This is really fun.

Come on Kris we want to hear your take man smile.gif
Piotr Kaczor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 3 2008, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure Piotr, that would be great. You have 6 days left. I will put you on the list.

Great Emir!
Pedja Simovic
Nice one Andrew!
I like the change of sound at some point that was really nice
Andrew Cockburn
Thanks Pedja!
Kristofer Dahl
I like both the takes we have have got so far - Muris' is monstrous and Andrew's feely and bluesy! biggrin.gif

I ran out of ideas towards the end of my take so I used some good old clichés - which have been handy in the past as well! ph34r.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Emir Hot
Very interesting Kristofer. Thanks.
Jose Mena
Here is mine.

Emir Hot
Thank you Jose. I think you're going to have the longest comment on this smile.gif I analysed every note smile.gif
Pedja Simovic
I need to do mine soon this all sounds great !
Jose Mena
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 3 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you Jose. I think you're going to have the longest comment on this smile.gif I analysed every note smile.gif

I hope they are good comments, just kidding, I take criticism well, feel free to let me know of anything you think could be done better.
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Nov 4 2008, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope they are good comments, just kidding, I take criticism well, feel free to let me know of anything you think could be done better.

Jose deserves more comments than anyone else so far as he had the most notes!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.