Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Everyone's Opinion.
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
tommyboy
Just curious what you guys think. I had this debate last night with a guy I Jam with.

tommyboy
Fran
I voted strat as it was a revolutionary mass-produced guitar which made rock existance possible for many musicians by the time.

Oh, and Hendrix smile.gif
tommyboy
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 20 2008, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I voted strat as it was a revolutionary mass-produced guitar which made rock existance possible for many musicians by the time.

Oh, and Hendrix smile.gif

Strat played trough a Marshall however. The Strat existed before the Marshall. So I would say the Marshall Amp. wink.gif However, I purposely didn't include players as that's a whole different topic.

tommyboy
Fran
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 21 2008, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strat played trough a Marshall however. The Strat existed before the Marshall. So I would say the Marshall Amp. wink.gif

How did I know you were going to say that? laugh.gif wink.gif
skennington
I voted Marshall. Just about every major show you saw, there were 500 stacks behind the stage laugh.gif The strat was huge and still is but without that vintage Marshall, fully saturated grunt, it would not have been the same. smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Strat is the icon of R&R so my vote for it smile.gif Second place - Marshall. cool.gif
Pedja Simovic
My vote went to Gibson wink.gif
inertia
I voted Les Paul, it probably won't be the top pick but when I think of rock, I think of Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page with his Les Paul dangling at his knees. That's rock'n roll to me anyway. The strat is a great rock guitar, but I feel it's more synonymous with blues, it's a more versatile guitar than the les paul imo, probably one of the most versatile guitars out there.
tommyboy
QUOTE (inertia @ Dec 20 2008, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I voted Les Paul, it probably won't be the top pick but when I think of rock, I think of Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page with his Les Paul dangling at his knees. That's rock'n roll to me anyway. The strat is a great rock guitar, but I feel it's more synonymous with blues, it's a more versatile guitar than the les paul imo, probably one of the most versatile guitars out there.

To me the quintessential rock setup is a Les Paul played through a Marshall. Exactly for the reason's you said. I was also debating about the Gibson SG ala Angus Young or Toni Iommi. However, the amp was all was a Marshall.

I'm wondering if Jim Marshall wouldn't have created his amp where rock and roll would have headed.

tommyboy

QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 20 2008, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did I know you were going to say that? laugh.gif wink.gif

Marshall's gotta get my love!! laugh.gif
audiopaal
Voted Strat smile.gif
Marcus Siepen
Where is Mesa Boogie in your list? wink.gif
Bogdan Radovic
I voted for Strat but its a really tough one...IMO the combination of Strat and Marshall played a great role in rock sound!
Rated Htr
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Dec 21 2008, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's for metal Marcus ^^

Voted Strat tongue.gif
Pavlov
Even though I'm biased towards a Les Paul because that's the only guitar I own, I resisted my bias and voted 'strat'. To many, when they think of 'electric guitar' and 'rock and roll' they think of the stratocaster model.
tommyboy
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Dec 21 2008, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason I left the choices I did (no Mesa Boogie) was I was trying to see what people thought propelled guitar rock and roll to the for front it became in the 70's and 80's and beyond. Mesa really didn't come into their own until the demand for over the top gain. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix, Clapton etc. these where just a few of the bands I had in mind when coming up with this poll.

No disrespect to Mesa, as I think their Triaxis may just be the single greatest guitar preamp ever made.

tommyboy
Sircraigery
I went with the Les Paul. I would have picked 'drugs' if that was on the poll biggrin.gif
IDontWantMyUsername
I voted for Les Paul - it was the first electric guitar ever, so what could be more influential?
Velvet Roger
Strat for me smile.gif
mba64
I say Strat second Marshall
JVM
Taking a neutral stance in this thread (though I'm leaning to the strat), Page actually played a telecaster on the first couple zeppelin records I believe. Iommi played Marshalls, but Laney has been around nearly as long as marshall and he played them early on and does today as well. Boogie hot rodded the fender amps to make rock and roll heavier, the first to do so I think.

To me, "rock and roll" evokes the image of a strat or tele (though I think the strat is universally thought of when the average person thinks of 'guitar') through a bassman or deluxe, maybe a plexi or a vox.

If you want to go into what influenced hard rock the most, I would go les paul/marshall all the way.
Trond Vold
I voted for the Les Paul, mainly because of Jimmy Paige smile.gif
tommyboy
QUOTE (JVM @ Dec 21 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Taking a neutral stance in this thread (though I'm leaning to the strat), Page actually played a telecaster on the first couple zeppelin records I believe. Iommi played Marshalls, but Laney has been around nearly as long as marshall and he played them early on and does today as well. Boogie hot rodded the fender amps to make rock and roll heavier, the first to do so I think.

To me, "rock and roll" evokes the image of a strat or tele (though I think the strat is universally thought of when the average person thinks of 'guitar') through a bassman or deluxe, maybe a plexi or a vox.

If you want to go into what influenced hard rock the most, I would go les paul/marshall all the way.

Now someone finally got to my thought. Marshall started and were heavily "inspired" on the 1959 Fender Tweed 4x10" Bassman. The very first Marshall amps were the JTM 45 amps. These amps were more or less a copy of the Fender 1959 Tweed Bassman.

This was my whole debate with the guy that started all this. If it wasn't for Leo Fender where would music be today? Fender Amps haven't received a vote. Both Mesa and Marshall are based on his amp designs. On top of that you have the Strat at the same time.

Now, if you ask me who created the overall tone after the fact. I'd say it was Marshall with a Gibson Les Paul following in it's foot steps.

tommyboy
vikingraider1
Depends what you mean by Rock and Roll - if you mean Buddy Holly etc, then it has to be the strat, if you mean hard rock, classic rock etc then I would say Marshall.

Oh... and Marshall is British so obviously I'm going to vote for "Marshall" biggrin.gif
JVM
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 21 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now someone finally got to my thought. Marshall started and were heavily "inspired" on the 1959 Fender Tweed 4x10" Bassman. The very first Marshall amps were the JTM 45 amps. These amps were more or less a copy of the Fender 1959 Tweed Bassman.

This was my whole debate with the guy that started all this. If it wasn't for Leo Fender where would music be today? Fender Amps haven't received a vote. Both Mesa and Marshall are based on his amp designs. On top of that you have the Strat at the same time.

Now, if you ask me who created the overall tone after the fact. I'd say it was Marshall with a Gibson Les Paul following in it's foot steps.

tommyboy

I agree with you smile.gif
VinceG
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 21 2008, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason I left the choices I did (no Mesa Boogie) was I was trying to see what people thought propelled guitar rock and roll to the for front it became in the 70's and 80's and beyond. Mesa really didn't come into their own until the demand for over the top gain. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix, Clapton etc. these where just a few of the bands I had in mind when coming up with this poll.

No disrespect to Mesa, as I think their Triaxis may just be the single greatest guitar preamp ever made.

tommyboy

Fair enough, so where is Orange amps then? If I remember correctly, Iommi used the combination of SG and an Orange head on the early albums of Sabbath. You can also see it in the music video Iron Man.
berko
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 22 2008, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tommyboy

Yup, my opinion too, even though I voted Strat instead, since it's still more iconic and happened to be more versatile than a LP, I guess that's why many players on the borderline of rock and blues (bluesrock basically) preferred a Fender.
Fran
One thing is certain: no one voted fender amps yet!
(I can see why, they are awesome clean amps, but probably not the idea of "rocking" amps.
tommyboy
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 22 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing is certain: no one voted fender amps yet!
(I can see why, they are awesome clean amps, but probably not the idea of "rocking" amps.

No votes yet. But, I'd have to say Leo Fender perhaps created Rock and Roll...if it wasn't for his guitars and amps we're still in the dark ages.

To everyone, when I asked my original question I didn't specify Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Pop Rock, Hillbilly Rock, I Wish I Could Rock. Get my picture.

I simply think Leo Fender and his amp design had the single biggest influence on rock and roll.

The Strat is a Icon. So is the Les Paul. Can I even tell you what I think of the Great Jim Charles Marshall JCM in case people didn't know.

But since the Strat and the Les Paul were born about the same time but the Les Paul didn't take off until Marshall's existed. Same with the Strat. Until Hendrix played on through a Marshall it was just electric guitar. ALA Buddy Holly.

However, without the Fender Amp the electric guitar was just a solid body guitar. This was my point all along.

Does anyboy agree?

tommyboy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.