Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: B.y.o.c. Optical Compressor
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
jdriver
Howdy everyone. I wrote up an article for the GMC Journal detailing my experience with a Build Your Own Clone Kit, the Optical Compressor. I have included general information for those thinking of trying to build a kit.

GMC Journal Link

It may get moved to the gear section. I've never done one of these before.
enforcer
QUOTE (jdriver @ Dec 26 2008, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Howdy everyone. I wrote up an article for the GMC Journal detailing my experience with a Build Your Own Clone Kit, the Optical Compressor. I have included general information for those thinking of trying to build a kit.

GMC Journal Link

It may get moved to the gear section. I've never done one of these before.

Great review mate biggrin.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
WOw, that's awesome jdriver mate! smile.gif I would love to know how to make these pedals, thanks for sharing your build! smile.gif
jdriver
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Fran
Awesome article Jdriver, that's exactly the kind of stuff that makes our wiki so great smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Thanks for the article man!! Its really interesting and well written! smile.gif
Kristofer Dahl
Very cool - and what a great topic for the gmc wiki! biggrin.gif Thanks Jdriver!
kaznie_NL
Cool Jdriver! I've been busy with a pedal myself, but no luck here... I'm going to get all of the components out of the board and start all over...

EDIT: the seller was a nice guy btw, he mailed to say that I could come to his place for a second time to sit and debug my pedal! I'm going to try for myself first wink.gif
jdriver
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jan 2 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool Jdriver! I've been busy with a pedal myself, but no luck here... I'm going to get all of the components out of the board and start all over...

EDIT: the seller was a nice guy btw, he mailed to say that I could come to his place for a second time to sit and debug my pedal! I'm going to try for myself first wink.gif

Well don't give up. Once you get the hang of it, you'll enjoy building the kits.
Matt23
Nice. smile.gif I might try one of those. Does it work out cheaper to make a pedal with one of those than to buy the original pedal?
jdriver
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jan 4 2009, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice. smile.gif I might try one of those. Does it work out cheaper to make a pedal with one of those than to buy the original pedal?

Usually it's not cheaper, sometimes more to build it. However, the parts quality in your kit will be much better than in the Chinese factory model. For example, the Rat clone costs about the same to build as to buy made, but the current production models are so bad in terms of quality, people like Keeley Pedals is refusing to mod them! On the other hand the BYOC Mouse uses the original LM308 chip, PLUS, features 5 additional tone modes. And it really is satisfying to have made it yourself.
Matt23
QUOTE (jdriver @ Jan 14 2009, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Usually it's not cheaper, sometimes more to build it. However, the parts quality in your kit will be much better than in the Chinese factory model. For example, the Rat clone costs about the same to build as to buy made, but the current production models are so bad in terms of quality, people like Keeley Pedals is refusing to mod them! On the other hand the BYOC Mouse uses the original LM308 chip, PLUS, features 5 additional tone modes. And it really is satisfying to have made it yourself.

Thanks, I'm quite tempted to buy an Overdrive 2 (tubescreamer) when it comes out now. smile.gif
Toni Suominen
Great article man smile.gif
-Zion-
maybe you want to add my pedal to the article as well???

located on my practice agenda
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.