Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Angus Young Signature Hum's
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Jesse
I 've been an ac/dc fan for a long time, made me start playing guitar, got me an epiphone sg and then, I wanted an gibson SG, but since I will be playing more styles and hopefully going to music school I'd need more versitality. So I got a Fender Stratocaster, and don't get me wrong, I love it. But I really need something to play some ac/dc with:D And I won't get the money to buy an SG the coming 3 years. The singlecoil texas special is great, but not too much for ac/dc. So I thought, what if I'd bought the Angus Young Signature Humbuckers, 150$ and put them in my Epiphone SG. Wouldn't that be a great thing? Does anyone have experience with these pickups? So If we'd play a gig, I could grab the Epiphone with gibson pickups for ac/dc stuff.
tommyboy
QUOTE (Jesse @ Dec 28 2008, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I 've been an ac/dc fan for a long time, made me start playing guitar, got me an epiphone sg and then, I wanted an gibson SG, but since I will be playing more styles and hopefully going to music school I'd need more versitality. So I got a Fender Stratocaster, and don't get me wrong, I love it. But I really need something to play some ac/dc with:D And I won't get the money to buy an SG the coming 3 years. The singlecoil texas special is great, but not too much for ac/dc. So I thought, what if I'd bought the Angus Young Signature Humbuckers, 150$ and put them in my Epiphone SG. Wouldn't that be a great thing? Does anyone have experience with these pickups? So If we'd play a gig, I could grab the Epiphone with gibson pickups for ac/dc stuff.

What amp are you using?

tommyboy
Scott Gentzen
I play ACDC with an Ibanez Roadstar with stock pickups through a Valve Jr. Sometimes I add a distortion/overdrive pedal too. My playing is crap but I like how the tone sounds.
fatb0t
Jesse a lot of his tone is from his Marshall amps... You might be able to dial it in using your pod if you tweak enough =)
Jesse
Fender frontman:D I know, I can set up like a marshall amp and cab tone, but I' d still need good humbuckers .
ZakkWylde
I don't think you will come very much closer to Angus sound by just buying his pickups, you'll just get a better overall tone with you SG and the rest is your playing style.

My suggestion is not to buy the Angus Pickup (it's good for Old school rock but way to overpriced) and get a Bareknuckle handmade pickup instead. They make a Pickup called the RiffRaff, which is clearly a ACDC style pickup but it's much more versitaile than the Angus Pickup. Check them out, you can't beat a handmade Pickup! Just ask Joe Kataldo (Bareknuckle User) or Muris (he also uses custom pickups but by another maker).

Here's a link to the RiffRaff:
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ZH-riffraff.html
tommyboy
QUOTE (Jesse @ Dec 31 2008, 04:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fender frontman:D I know, I can set up like a marshall amp and cab tone, but I' d still need good humbuckers .

Any good hot humbucker will give you better tone. However, your tone is only as good as your weakest link. Your amp is part of your problem. Getting new pickups my help a bit but it won't give you what your truly looking for.

However, this will. wink.gif

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1959SLP

tommyboy
Bondy
As I said the other day Jesse play around with you pod settings. Angus uses no flashy effects or pickups just a SG and a Marshall stack save your money biggrin.gif
Jesse
I know, but I thought if the angus humbuckers come the closest to the gibson sg ones he uses it would save me money and give me the REAL gibson sg sound. tongue.gif im broke so. I might get a marshall JTM 45 or something but I wouldnt really be able to use it at home, its so frikkin loud!
tommyboy
QUOTE (Jesse @ Dec 31 2008, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know, but I thought if the angus humbuckers come the closest to the gibson sg ones he uses it would save me money and give me the REAL gibson sg sound. tongue.gif im broke so. I might get a marshall JTM 45 or something but I wouldnt really be able to use it at home, its so frikkin loud!

For the same price you can get the real Gibson humbuckers that are loaded in SG's. What give a great guitar player their sound is not one single thing. It's the combination of talent mixed with the gear that suit's their music.

Trust me I play a Marshall stack. Sounds fantastic. AC/DC tones are not very hard to achieve. However, no matter how hard I try, my version of Back in Black and AC/DC's sound slightly different. This is why I'm tommyboy and Angus Young is a guitar god.

tommyboy
inertia
I think dropping the extra $150 is fine if you really like the guitar. If I were you I would try to upgrade to a Gibson SG classic or faded (the one below the standard), selling your Epiphone and coming up with a few more bucks for the actual gibson. I used to have a Classic it was really nice. However, if you have an inexpensive amp, changing the pickups in your guitar whether it's a real gibson or an epiphone, won't make a huge difference in my opinion.
Jesse
Okay, but I won' t sell my epiphone! Won' t even trade it for a gibson:D
jsrocks
check this site out it is an interview with ac/dc gtr tech..
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=92644

biggrin.gif
JSRocks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.