GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Bands and Guitarists
InstruMental Case
... Is here!
CJNE
Very nice, thanks a lot! smile.gif
Rob_g
wow this is some pretty cool playing, kool footage. smile.gif
Kristofer Dahl
Phew this was a long one - I don't get one hour over to just to sit and stare to often, nowadays...biggrin.gif

However, since this was about shred, I finally found some time. And I believe this was one of the best - I especially liked the lesser-known guitarists in the beginning. It seems you chose guitarists with lots of phrasing chops too this time - was that a conscious choice?

Again - a huge thanks for doing this serie - it's an absolute treasure for the guitar community. I can't believe no one has thought of this previously - you are the Mike Varney of this century! wink.gif biggrin.gif

Keep em coming!

Kris
InstruMental Case
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 21 2006, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phew this was a long one - I don't get one hour over to just to sit and stare to often, nowadays...biggrin.gif

Yeah, I never know when to end them...

Guitars SUCK 1 – 20 mins
Guitars SUCK 2 – 15 mins
Guitars SUCK 3 – 35 mins
Guitars SUCK 4 – 50 mins
Guitars SUCK 5 – 35 mins
Guitars SUCK 6 – 50 mins

However, since this was about shred, I finally found some time. And I believe this was one of the best - I especially liked the lesser-known guitarists in the beginning. It seems you chose guitarists with lots of phrasing chops too this time - was that a conscious choice?

It wasn’t a conscious decision on my part, because I always like the phrasing of all the players I use. Having said that… I knew this episode would be more enjoyable for most people than the last, because the last episode was really heavy on the shredding, used almost all “unknown” players, and had too many clips that most people simply don’t understand. So my aim was to do a little more of a crowd-pleaser with this one. Everything up to Shawn Lane was unknown’s, but then I started to use the more popular players and easy-to-understand stuff… Freidman, Blues, Beach, and the acoustic clips that just about everyone can enjoy. I threw in Gonçalo Pereira because the response has always been strong for his stuff. Then I went back to the popular guys… John Petrucci and Paul Gilbert. After that I figured it was safe to cram a bunch of fusion in as fast as possible… and I made sure to use Guthrie with that because he’s so popular and seeing him will keep people from getting too upset about having to listen to the other fusion players. I had to pay respect to Holdsworth and Howe after showing the lesser-known fusion. Then back to the happy, easy-to-get, and freakishly popular “I’m Alright” by Zaza. A quick burst of 80’s-style shredding with Rob Marcello. Then Eric Johnson and the kid playing S.R.V. After that I wanted to throw in a couple of country numbers, because that’s an important style to me, and I always like featuring at least a clip or two of it. Finally, Andy Timmons playing his “Cry For You” ballad that everyone seems to enjoy in the long run. I let it play through the whole song because I figured people would just be leaving by then, and I wanted to let the whole episode come to a gradual close. Everything that followed was just the typical bonus and credits type stuff.

Again - a huge thanks for doing this serie - it's an absolute treasure for the guitar community. I can't believe no one has thought of this previously - you are the Mike Varney of this century! wink.gif biggrin.gif

Haha, in a way, I hope not! I’ve heard that guy was an a**hole! He wouldn’t release Powers of Ten on Shrapnel because it was too rock-fusion as opposed to shred metal. I don’t want to be a censor. That’s why I try to cover as many styles as I can. I never even set out for it ALL to be super-shredding… I just pick the stuff that I think sounds the most exciting and interesting. I wouldn't call most of it "shred" myself, because my standards for fast-playing are much higher than most people's. I mean, any of these guys sound like they're shredding when compared to some classic rock band from the 60's. But only a few sound like they're really shredding to me, because my idea of non-shred speeds is like your typical Steve Vai piece. So it takes a player like Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo, or Rob Marcello for me to add “shred” to the category label (and it's not in a negative non-melodic way).
RIP Dime
Awesome thing dude, I love Blues Saraceno! I'm glad I got to see some of him.
Esox Lucius
Awesome guitarplayers biggrin.gif

Where can I download it? I can't seem to find any place on google... sad.gif
Can I find all the 6 videos on the net???

rock on
InstruMental Case
You can find them all on Google Video, just search "Guitars SUCK" or click the link in my signature. You can download it from the page I linked to in the topic (where you watched the video), you just didn't see the "download" button on the right.
Matt
who do u call it guitars suck
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 22 2007, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
who do u call it guitars suck

Yes I am interested in that too! smile.gif
InstruMental Case
There's a Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (now of G'N'R fame) song called "Guitars Suck", and I used a video of BBF playing it in the first Guitars Suck. I thought it was a funny and fitting name for the series, considering what many of the viewers were sure to think of it and all the shredding.
Zee Deveel
Ahh my friend sent me a link to one of these a few weeks ago, we both watched the whole thing (and he doesn't even play guitar). So good job! Had no idea these were done by someone from GMC. smile.gif
Guitar Master123
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Gerardo Siere
Thanks for sharing this.
Ivan Milenkovic
Great video, great players, thanks smile.gif
FrankW
Great job man, and great choice of players. This is the kind of thing I need to get myself jumpstarted every once in a while. Keep 'em coming.
VinceG
I wonder where is Instrumental Case. Anyone know? Th last time I saw him post was about a Neil Zaza interview
vintageplaya666
Thanks, Just discovered this series, on this one I'm really digging that riff from the 2nd guitarist on the video, the centaur. Amazing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.