Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triplets In Alternate Picking Video
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Muris Varajic > Theory (Muris)
slash48
In the alternate picking video the third lick had a place where you had to go from 16th notes to 16th triplets. Are 16th triplets just regular 16th notes times 3 in speed? Sorry for the beginner question, I'm kind of new to the whole theory thing. Any help would be really appreciated. Fantastic lesson by the way. smile.gif
rockztar
QUOTE (slash48 @ Jan 3 2009, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the alternate picking video the third lick had a place where you had to go from 16th notes to 16th triplets. Are 16th triplets just regular 16th notes times 3 in speed? Sorry for the beginner question, I'm kind of new to the whole theory thing. Any help would be really appreciated. Fantastic lesson by the way. smile.gif

16th triplets is 6 note per beat
superize
Insteed of 4 notes per beat in 16 th notes
slash48
Ok , thanks for the help guys!
Muris Varajic
There you go. biggrin.gif
JamesT
Counting triplets is tricky in the beginning, but once you figure it out, it has a very nice feel to it.

Triplets are basically "three in the space of two". So when you're looking at 16ths versus 16th triplets, three triplets occur in the same time as two regular 16ths. This is consistent with what the others have said, but also applies to any type of triplet. Eighth note triplets are three notes in the same amount of time that two regular eighth notes would be played.

The name "triplet" eluded me too in the beginning since I also thought it just "had to" mean three in the space of one. Try tapping your knee while sitting down. With left hand, tap/count 1,2,3,4 very slowly, with the right count 1,2,3, 2,2,3 3,2,3, 4,2,3 in the same timeframe. If the left is counting quarter notes, the right is counting 8th triplets. Here you can see that with the left hand, four notes are played in a "bar" and with the right 12 notes are played in that same bar. If you can do this with your hands, you can play the drums too (just kidding) biggrin.gif but you might hear the triplets on the ride cymbal sometimes while the kick and snare are falling on one and three recspectively. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.