Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tapping.... Specifics
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Muris Varajic > Techniques (Muris)
muggenius12
Muris,

ok this is gonna be hard to explain, but I, like alot of people, am having some toruble tapping, but more specificaly:

string skipping arpeggios are about the only thing i cant get cleanly, here is what i have done,

i noticed that robbert hanenberg, arp tap master, flicks his tapping finger back on ascending apreggios, so i did it too, and it cleaned me up some, but not to the point where i would like, and i have practiced a ton.
on the way down, however, the middle string always rings out no matter how small my motions are, or how accurately i am hitting the frets, and this happens especially on high frets.

i have tried soooo many ways to tap, and i basically just need to get rid of some string noise. can you please, in as much detail as you can, tell me how your fingers, left and right hand, are hitting the strings and releasing during ascending/descending tapping arpeggios and runs? I can not seem to find help anywhere else, and i feel as though you may be one of the only people who can give me an answer judging by your fusion improv video on youtube (awesome)

btw update: my alternate picking has increased severely thanks to your reply to my other post, and in like 5 days! i went from pretty much economy picking to sextuplets (6 notes per BEAT) at around 180 on a straight descending or ascneding scale, and about 150 on more complex licks. thanks alot!

Anthony
Muris Varajic
Hi Anthony, good to hear my answer has helped you with picking!! smile.gif

Now, talking about tapping and your problem,
I'm not sure if I understood everything 100% right.
Could you please give me an example,
some type lick or arpeggio that you have problems with?
Video would be best option but if you're not able to film
then just give me a tab or some so we could discuss it
and eventually try to solve your problem. smile.gif
muggenius12
Muris,

well so far nothing special, just problems with the phrase:

12 15 17 15 12 (1st str)
- - - - - - -
12 14 17 17 14 12 (3rd str)
- - - - - - - - --- --- - - -- -
12 15 19 19 15 12 (5th str.)
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

i believe thats a minor7th variant and its part of several michael romeo phrases so i began with this arpeggio.

when i ascend, im fairly clean due to my new technique where i slightly drag my middle (tapping) finger back for a split second on each tapped note, but still i would like my ascension cleaner.

when i descend, the middle string gives me noise pretty much no matter what because it rings out. its not terrible noise, but its enough to be irritating.

thats about it for now, i can deal with this issue one step at a time and i dont want to overwhelm you haha~

Anthony

the makeshift tab i made got messed up! its suppossed to be pyramid shaped not perfectly aligned like that. 12 15 19, 12 14 17, 12 15 17 15 12, 17 14 12, 19 15 12. just like a 3 string arp up then down!
Muris Varajic
I see. smile.gif

Tell me about for left hand, thumb actually, is it wrapped around
so the rest of your fingers are curved
or you put it behind neck and your fingers are kind a lined with fretboard?
muggenius12
HERE is an uploaded fixed tab

its wrapped because i cant really seem to play the other way haha it feels weird.
muggenius12
i actually justy tried the other way and my thumb just slipped back to being curled around
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (muggenius12 @ Jan 9 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HERE is an uploaded fixed tab

its wrapped because i cant really seem to play the other way haha it feels weird.

It's not weird at all, I wrapped it as well,
imo that's easier way to do more muting.
Other than that I really don't know what else to say,
I never analize my movements that much in deep.
I also had noise problems with that kind of licks
and idea is to slow it down and locate your problem.
Point is, the way I do it might not work for you 100%,
just try to mute as much as possible and keep your movements smooth.
I'm not aware of your current playing level but those licks are surely
not the easiest on the planet!!
So take your time, practice it daily and your hands will naturally
get the feel for it and how to do it.

Best of luck and let me know if you need more help. smile.gif
muggenius12
thanks muris i figured out that my pinky was actually hitting the middle string on the way down to the bottom string, and the noise was NOT being caused by a release of the fingers. so im slowly starting to work it out. thanks alot!
Muris Varajic
Glad to hear you've found the problem!!

Now you can start working on it
and after a while pinky will stop doing that. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.