Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !...help..!...dont Know Where To Go....
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Jedi78
I started playing again 1 year ago and joined a guitar school.

Compared to my younger days, ( im 30 btw) the 1 year studying with the guitar school taught me a lot on the theorytical side of guitar. I now know about scales, CAGED, which key goes with which chords and so on.

But somehow, i just feel that im not improving, technically !..i can play simple songs with solos but its just not perfect. I messed up during the solo part. And im just not fast enough. My triplet notes goes out of beat and so on...

Whenever i pick my guitar, the only idea that comes to mind if i just wanna fool around, is the C family and A minor/pentatonic for the solos. Other than that, im blank !!!!...

Maybe i need to change my practice routine. Or could anybody recommend me a good practice schedule and how long do i stick to it.
How do i approach guitar playing or practicing etc....

I envy those people who can pick up the guitar and just improvise on the spot.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jedi78
Jerry Arcidiacono
Hey there,

QUOTE (Jedi78 @ Jan 29 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But somehow, i just feel that im not improving, technically !..i can play simple songs with solos but its just not perfect. I messed up during the solo part. And im just not fast enough. My triplet notes goes out of beat and so on...

I think the key is to play over a metronome, or a backing track.
Start to learn some patterns in different neck positions and with different fingerings for each scale you already know.

Whenever i pick my guitar, the only idea that comes to mind if i just wanna fool around, is the C family and A minor/pentatonic for the solos. Other than that, im blank !!!!...

Well, you can start with major/minor scales, harmonic minor, modes and so on.
We have many lessons about these topics.

Maybe i need to change my practice routine. Or could anybody recommend me a good practice schedule and how long do i stick to it.

You can take a look at our practice agendas and maybe you'll find some inspiration.
Also, find some lessons that you like it and start with them. If you join a collaboration you can easily get some feedback from other members.
Pedja Simovic
I started playing again 1 year ago and joined a guitar school.

Compared to my younger days, ( im 30 btw) the 1 year studying with the guitar school taught me a lot on the theorytical side of guitar. I now know about scales, CAGED, which key goes with which chords and so on.

I envy those people who can pick up the guitar and just improvise on the spot.

Hi smile.gif

It seems like you have solid beginner foundation but need to take your playing to next step.

Couple of things that I suggest

- Work on your technique using metronome, single chord vamp as well as complete backing tracks
- Learn songs that you like and are OUT of your comfort zone
- Learn lessons at GMC
- Every lick you learn or chord progression , practice soloing in as many keys as possible (all 12 keys preferably !)
- Join collaborations, lick of the day, post videos of yourself playing here on the forum so we can all give you feedback on what you need to work on.

For me in order to improve you need to work on a lot of areas , as its joint process and it doesnt happen over night. Here is a list I recommend and you can find exercises for each area

- Ear Training + Transcribing
- Theory and Harmony (reading + analyzing)
- Recording and Critique (on daily basis)
- Lessons at GMC
- Repertoire building
- Technique study
- Arranging, Composing
- Jamming and Improvising

Hope that helps smile.gif

Pedja

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jedi78

Ivan Milenkovic
I realize that you are not a beginner mate, but check out this lesson plan here. I wrote mainly for beginners, but you can skip the beginner lessons and dive in into modes, and other important stuff. It is backed up with theory, and 3nps patterns so you can systematically go through that.

Feel free to ask me any questions, or if you need me to make you a plan of your own. Cheers! smile.gif
Matt23
My advice for you is pick a technique, i.e. Alternate picking, Sweeping etc. Choose a relatively easy exercise off GMC for that technique. Learn about four bars of it to start with. Find the top speed you can play that cleanly. Practice it for half an hour or more with a drum beat/metronome. The next day put the speed up by 5bpm and play it for half an hour or more. Keep doing this until you have it up to speed then do the same iwth the other parts pf the lesson. The move onto a new and harder lesson.
Jedi78
Thank you soo much for all the replies and suggestions !!....

MickeM
Jedi78, why don't you use the force? wink.gif
opeth.db
The force is over-rated MikeM! laugh.gif

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 30 2009, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jedi78, why don't you use the force? wink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.