Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Pickups!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Capt.Z
I am gonna put new pick-ups on my les paul custom, but I can't decide...

EMGs or Dimarzio of some kind

I play rock, metal, sometimes blues or jazz...
HELP
ZakkWylde
EMGs are great for rock and metal, and also a little blues but no Jazz at all...

Seymour Duncan Sh-5 with a sh-1 or sh-2 neck would be a good choice, or if you want to go into Custom pickups, a Bareknuckle Cold Sweat set
Trond Vold
EMG's and Gibson are a nice match. But even though EMG's are more versatile then they are given credit for, they still arent especially good for Jazzy/Blues stuff.

Duncans are probably more suitable if you want a good mix of everything.
Marcus Siepen
I agree, EMG's ROCK a Les Paul, but Jazz is for sure not their biggest strength. Since I never played any Jazz myself I can't really give you an advice for suitable pickups, but if you are looking for a rock/metal pickup then get the EMG 81
Capt.Z
I only play some jazzy or bluesy licks... sometimes... EMGs sound good smile.gif
Guitarman700
Get some Seymour duncan Blackouts, they DESTROY EMGS. Much more organinc, and just better sound overall. ive got some in my jackson, Best pickups ever.
g-forcelover
I'd try the dimebucker, or the Seymour duncan Blackouts. both sound amazing, and will give you what you are looking for.
Capt.Z
I hear Blackouts sound great.. but, they need batteries right? How does that work?? huh.gif
Toni Suominen
QUOTE (Capt.Z @ Feb 16 2009, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hear Blackouts sound great.. but, they need batteries right? How does that work?? huh.gif

Yeah, they are active pickups and need batteries like the EMG's smile.gif definitely try them out.
Capt.Z
how do you change batteries in the P-Ups??
Marcus Siepen
The battery is not inside the pickups, in most cases the battery (a 9 Volt block) will go into the compartment that has the tone and volume controls. And don't worry, you won't have to change the battery every 2 weeks, as long as you pull out the cable when you are not playing they hold pretty long.
Ramiro Delforte
I'd put some EMG but the model I cannot tell you because is something personal, you'll have to try or search for people with some EMG's.
I'd probably choose a pair that are not active....but that's me
Capt.Z
I'll get some blackouts probably... I just need the money smile.gif
Guitarman700
QUOTE (Capt.Z @ Feb 17 2009, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll get some blackouts probably... I just need the money smile.gif

Good choice man! if you want some sound samples, ill make a quick video, just PM me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.