Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Pleaseeee!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
vampire18
i dont think i have ever been this mad in my entire life. i send my squire for a little check up on some evlectricity problom and a sting change and now they lowered my bridge to the end or something i dont know what they did but they ruined my guitar. i have a buzz in the 4 low strings. i dont know what to do. i tried to release the screws a bit but by the time the ringing stop the action was so high it was junk!.
im putting some pictures and a wav file and i prey to god you can help me cause im feeling like going to the guitar shop and stab the tech guy.
Marc_Maiden
does the buzz get picked up in the amp?

fret buzz is ok as long as it doesnt get heard through the amp

another reason could be that your frets are uneven somewhere...since it is a squier after all
ZakkWylde
Seems like they wanted to give your guitar a new setup and they screwed it up...

Take your guitar back to the store and tell them that they screwed it up and therefore should set it up right 4 free!
Jose Mena
Take the guitar back, they might have messed with the truss rod, and lowered the bridge. You can try adjusting it yourself, but since they messed up they should be held responsible.
vampire18
but they take like a week to do anything.
and it was just fine before they took it so im doubt its the frets. and even if the amp doesnt get it it pisses me off. and im sure they are super lazy so all the did was pull my bridge down but how do i fix it to the correct hight. i have a competiotin soon and i cant spend all this time without practicing
Toni Suominen
That sucks dude, but try to raise the bridge a little by yourself and see if that helps. If not, take it back and demand that they take a look at it.
Marc_Maiden
QUOTE (vampire18 @ Feb 16 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but they take like a week to do anything.
and it was just fine before they took it so im doubt its the frets. and even if the amp doesnt get it it pisses me off. and im sure they are super lazy so all the did was pull my bridge down but how do i fix it to the correct hight. i have a competiotin soon and i cant spend all this time without practicing

well you should get used to it unless you like high action

many many guitars give off a little buzz when they have low action...its normal..

as for your "competiotin" you can still practice...just because your guitar buzzes doesnt mean you cant play it....i played entire concerts with buzz guitars....hell ive played a concert with a guitar who had the most uneven frets ever.
vampire18
i think my mistake was going to the biggest guitar shop in israel. they dont have any personal feelings. they are like ants that just have to get the most guitars in the shortest amount of time. i think ill take it to a nice private luthier and have him give me a complete setup
Ivan Milenkovic
You're right vampire. The biggest shop doesn't always means best service. Try to take your guitar for setup with some well known luthier. Ask around and see who does the job best. These kind of information travel fast among musicians.
Also you can try to adjust your guitar a bit yourself. You have basically 3 points for adjustment:

1. Truss Rod
2. Bridge Saddles
3. Spring Screws

They should all be kept in balance in relation to each other

Personally, I like my whole tremolo on my strat to be completely down to the body, and tightened securely so I can pull off one and a half step bends, or double stops with bends without pitch shifting on me. My tremolo arm can work only downwards this way but it's not that big of a problem really. I don't use it a lot anyway cause it detunes the strings.

When turning the truss rod, you gotta watch out so you have a proper neck relief. Neck should be bowed slightly in order for strings to have some space for ringing.

The order of doing adjustments is roughly this:

1. Adjust the tremolo springs tension
2. Adjust the height of the bridge saddles
3. Adjust the Truss Rod
4. Repeat the process until you find a good balance

Some buzzing is not a big problem if the strings don't loose sustain. IN general no buzzing is heard on the amp, so don't worry about it too much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.