Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update: Rg570 Bridge
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
iamblackmo
After painstakingly fixing setting my bridge, which took surprisingly long considering I have two other Ibanez's with floating trems, I am still curious about one thing that my other guitars do NOT do.

If I am doing a full bend, I see my bridge lift slightly. This happens noticably when I am doing hard bends on the 7th -16th frets on the G-strings.

It does not affect playability too much but I am curious to the causes, what the problems could be and what the solutions are.

thanks
Andrew6
I just checked and my ibanez does that as well, as does my Jackson huh.gif I dont know whether or not they are supposed to?
Sircraigery
They will do that. After all your increasing tension on one of the strings to lift the bridge.

I've never payed any attention to mine, but I would say it's 100% normal.
wrk
Imagine you would tune one or two strings of your guitar one note higher, then you would need to adjust your bridge ... with bends you do the same temporarily. So it's normal that the bridge goes up a bit as with bends you add more tension to the strings.

I wonder why you don't have the same effect on your other two guitars, .. maybe the spring tension is higher on these?
You could try to pick an empty D string and bend the G string without picking and you will hear the D string is going out of tune.
Sircraigery
QUOTE (wrk @ Mar 7 2009, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Imagine you would tune one or two strings of your guitar one note higher, then you would need to adjust your bridge ... with bends you do the same temporarily. So it's normal that the bridge goes up a bit as with bends you add more tension to the strings.

I wonder why you don't have the same effect on your other two guitars, .. maybe the spring tension is higher on these?
You could try to pick an empty D string and bend the G string without picking and you will hear the D string is going out of tune.

I wonder if he has much stronger springs (or just more) on his other gits that this one.

EDIT: Or I could finished reading what you already wrote haha.
wrk
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Mar 7 2009, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if he has much stronger springs (or just more) on his other gits that this one.

EDIT: Or I could finished reading what you already wrote haha.

could be .. string or spring tension differs from one guitar to another. On my Ibanez RG it kills me each time i do a full step bend on lower strings, whereas on other guitars it's easier. The tension which works against the bend (springs) seems to be stronger on this one. On both i have 3 springs.

iamblackmo
QUOTE (wrk @ Mar 7 2009, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
could be .. string or spring tension differs from one guitar to another. On my Ibanez RG it kills me each time i do a full step bend on lower strings, whereas on other guitars it's easier. The tension which works against the bend (springs) seems to be stronger on this one. On both i have 3 springs.

I have only three springs on both guitars. The one that DOES NOT lift the trem when I lift is much newer, so it leaves me to believe that there is insufficient tension on my RG coming from the springs. The bridge is set and it stays in tune wonderfully but I get this weird snap back noise when my trem comes back down after my bend.

This is weird, and I am willing to take it to get looked at if this is something that no one has dealt with before.
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (iamblackmo @ Mar 13 2009, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have only three springs on both guitars. The one that DOES NOT lift the trem when I lift is much newer, so it leaves me to believe that there is insufficient tension on my RG coming from the springs. The bridge is set and it stays in tune wonderfully but I get this weird snap back noise when my trem comes back down after my bend.

This is weird, and I am willing to take it to get looked at if this is something that no one has dealt with before.

How old is the Guitar?
What gauge strings do you use?
wrk
QUOTE (iamblackmo @ Mar 13 2009, 02:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe the springs are not the original ones for this tremolo. Did you bought your RG new or used?
Sometimes a tremolo makes noise and then you have to search from where this is coming. Hard to locate sometimes.

Could be helpful if you can upload photos from both sides of your guitar .. maybe a video if you can.

Ivan Milenkovic
It is normal for tremolo to rise when you bend the strings don't worry. If you need to make a more stable tremolo, put 5 springs and adjust the tremolo on the right position. Then try to bend, tremolo should be more tighter.

About the noise, check if the springs are issue. Put your hand on top of the springs, do a bend and release the bend, if you don't hear the sound, it's the springs vibrating. Put something behind the springs, like a cloth or something to dumpen their vibrations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.