Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird English Language
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Ctodd
enough.... where does the 'f' sound come from huh.gif

"I" before "e" except after "c" except when sounding like "a" as in "neighbor" except in the word "science"...

plural of "goose" is "geese" but the plural of "mongoose" is "mongooses"

people from the Philippines are called Filipino (one p and with an "F" huh.gif )

"I am going to polish the Polish lamp".... notice that if I don't capitalize the second "polish" it won't make any sense.

the words "Through" "Trough" and "Though" all end with the same 4 letters but neither rhyme with any of the others

there are 3 distinct, and unconnected (as far as I know) definitions of the word "counter"

counter as in counter-attack. Counter as in a person who counts, or an object used to count things. And Counter as in a kitchen counter. (that's what it's called in America, maybe not so elsewhere)

"wound the bandage around the wound" translation----> "wrap the bandage around the injury"

feel free to comment or add something wink.gif
Praetorian
Plural of "goose" is "geese" but the plural of "moose" is "moose"!

The confusing part of English, is that many of the words are taken from different dialects and reflect their "rules" of origin.
Andrew6
don't forget their there and they're
threw and through
the plural of moose is moose tongue.gif
minute and minute one being a unit of measurement the other a value of time My-nute and Min-ut
graduate is both someone who has graduated and a verb to graduate pronounced differently
Use , can be put something to use or use something which have different pronounciations laugh.gif laugh.gif

isnt english wonderful !

praetorian beat me to the moose !!

Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (Andrew6 @ Mar 14 2009, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
don't forget their there and they're
threw and through
the plural of moose is moose tongue.gif
minute and minute one being a unit of measurement the other a value of time My-nute and Min-ut
graduate is both someone who has graduated and a verb to graduate pronounced differently
Use , can be put something to use or use something which have different pronounciations laugh.gif laugh.gif

isnt english wonderful !

praetorian beat me to the moose !!

Did Praetoerian beat you against/all the way to the moose?

Language in general is a funny thing.
meltedgraphics
Yes, but don't forget, one drives in a parkway yet parks in a driveway.

OH, and should I ask the question, why is that you wear A shirt yet you also wear a PAIR of pants. Personally I've never worn two pants at the same time. (But hay that's just me).

Anyway just remeber,

A man sitting backwords looking into the future in mearly remembering the past. Airgo a man sitting forward remembering the past, is trully predicting the future.

Have a good night GMC'ers
Meltedgraphics
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.