Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Peavey Amps
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
ChrisVdS
Hi guys,

I was looking at some amps to replace my Roland cube 20X and i was thinking about getting a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt modelling amp but yesterday evening after work i was browsing internet and came across a peavey bandit 112 combo 80 watts the guy is selling it for 150 euros. I did some seatching for a good demo of the amp on youtube i really like the sound it gives for a solid state amp, it seems pretty nice for playing blues.

Do you guys have any expirience with a bandit? i know the vypyr has allot more features and the 30 watt version costs like 199 euros brand new without footswitch tough... I also looked up the price of the Valveking 112 combo 50 watts but an all tube amp for 400 euros that seems a bit cheap so i'm curious if this will even sound decent.

What do you guys think i should be going for?

Thx in advance,

Chris
ZakkWylde
Changing from a modeling boss with 20 watts to a modeling peavey with 30 watts isn't going to make a big diffrence, altough the Vypyr 30 is a good amp! The Bandit for 150 sounds like a good deal; and the Valveking is a great real tube amp for the price you pay...

There are so many great amps out there, don't limit yourself to just one brand; tell us your budget and what sound you want and we'll find something!
Marshmall0wz
vypyr will blow the roland out of the water, can't wait to pick my own out. It has so many GREAT amps and stompboxes and rack effects, check out peaveys site. I'm really stoked on em'
David Wallimann
I used to have a Bandit in my early guitar days.. That was probably about 10 years ago, so I'm sure the newer models are quite different. But back then I was happy with it.
I recently played with a Valveking and really liked it a lot!
Skalde
I own a peavey envoy 110, which is basically the small version of the bandit. It depends on the style your are playing, but it suits very well for my needs (Heavy Metal)
150€ is a greate price, you can go wrong with that.
Ivan Milenkovic
Whats your budget mate?
Fran
There's a cool Peavy Windsor studio, 15W all valve, whith power attenuatos built in for around 300-400 $, I haven't had the chance to try it yet but looks promising looking at the specs... Anyone tried it?
29a
If you want an amp for blues look at low wattage tube amps like the ones from Blackheart. They are comparable in price and you'll probably get the better tone out of them. They're not for higain stuff though smile.gif

- Jonas
mba64
Check out the VOX Valvetronix serie they sound great.
Ivan Milenkovic
I was at the gig last night listening to a bluesman playing through Valveking 112 combo. It is a very nice amp for the price if you ask me. The sound is a bit dark, but it is nice and clean, and it has nice barking dark overdrive channel. If this is what you are after definitely check it out in the store - it may be a good upgrade.

As most people said, going from roland solidstate 20W to peavy modelling 30W isn't a very good upgrade, so perhaps you should consider getting a tube one. Peavey VK is the best you will get for the price. It doesn't sound spectacular, but it is fairly clean and all tube.
Ivan Mihaljevic
Peavey Bandit is a really good solid state amp!
Valveking is pretty good for it's price too!

Be sure to try them out and see what suits your playing style the best.
Take your guitar with you, go to a music store and plug into every amp in your price range and see which one you like the most. It has to be your guitar and you playing, because otherwise you won't hear how exactly it sounds.
For example, I love the sound some players are getting out of Mesa Boogie amps, but I've tried them myself a million times and they just don't work for me! I'm not saying they don't sound good when I'm playing through them, I'm just saying that I'm not getting what I want out of them.
Marshmall0wz
Windsor is terrible imo. Next to NO distortion, barely good enough for blues. Cleans aren't nearly as nice as the Valveking. And I think the VYPYR is a HUGE improvement from the ROLAND, so much fun to be had. Great tones.
Sensible Jones
Peavey Bandit + Tubescreamer Ts-09 = A great little set-up for a very small price!!!! I still use the same Peavey renown I've had for almost 20 years!!!
Marc_Maiden
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 24 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was at the gig last night listening to a bluesman playing through Valveking 112 combo. It is a very nice amp for the price if you ask me. The sound is a bit dark, but it is nice and clean, and it has nice barking dark overdrive channel. If this is what you are after definitely check it out in the store - it may be a good upgrade.

As most people said, going from roland solidstate 20W to peavy modelling 30W isn't a very good upgrade, so perhaps you should consider getting a tube one. Peavey VK is the best you will get for the price. It doesn't sound spectacular, but it is fairly clean and all tube.

QUOTE (Ivan Mihaljevic @ Mar 24 2009, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peavey Bandit is a really good solid state amp!
Valveking is pretty good for it's price too!

Be sure to try them out and see what suits your playing style the best.
Take your guitar with you, go to a music store and plug into every amp in your price range and see which one you like the most. It has to be your guitar and you playing, because otherwise you won't hear how exactly it sounds.
For example, I love the sound some players are getting out of Mesa Boogie amps, but I've tried them myself a million times and they just don't work for me! I'm not saying they don't sound good when I'm playing through them, I'm just saying that I'm not getting what I want out of them.

do you two know you have very similar names? i thought it was Ivan Mil with an avatar change and with out a haircut
ChrisVdS
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 24 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peavey Bandit + Tubescreamer Ts-09 = A great little set-up for a very small price!!!! I still use the same Peavey renown I've had for almost 20 years!!!

Well i just got a Peavey Envoy 110 for free last weekend it was collecting dust and my brothers girlfriend does not play anymore so she gave it to me because i said i was looking for something to replace my cube with. I'm not going to bother myself buying the bandit anymore , i am pretty pleased with the Envoy i like the clean channel very much. I was thinking of getting one of those new Digitech hardwire pedals the tube overdrive to boost the clean channel and also for distortion as the pre gain and post gain things are a bit confusing wink.gif

I was in a music shop yesterday and saw the windsor head it's gigantic i also saw a Fender Deluxe blues man it was 799 euros i think, i will stick to this price range to start with i think.

Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Mar 24 2009, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you two know you have very similar names? i thought it was Ivan Mil with an avatar change and with out a haircut

At this rate of increasing instructors&members soon we will have lots of Ivans here (which would be cool indeed) biggrin.gif

And greetings to Ivan who is a great musician! smile.gif
Axamentia666
I didnt rate the valveking tbh or the vypr, though the Peavey 5150 mkII is awesome (If i had a couple of K it would be a 5150 or a Bogner tongue.gif )

Personally for modelling amps, look at the line 6 Flextone III its far better than the spider/vypr/cube for modelling ss IMHO you can pick up a secondhand one for around £/euro 2-300 they sound awesome if you spend time programming your sound!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.