Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm Rusty
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Fullmetal_Tmd
Hi guys, its Johnny again. Again, I'm having problems. Oh so many problems smile.gif

My main problem is like the title says, I'm rusty. I haven't played in almost 2 months now. The reason for that being was I fractured several bones (and broke a finger) in my left hand during a BMX accident, and it had to be in a cast for 6-8 weeks. Last week, they took a x-ray of my hand, and deemed it healed, so now the cast is off and I'm free again.

Obviously, my left arm grew week from disuse, so now I have to build up my lost muscle mass and a little motor skill. I expected that this to affect my guitar a lot (that's a duh moment haha). It did. It feels like it did when I first picked up the instrument 2 1/2 years ago. My fingers are fumbling around, the callouses healed up, and my bending strength is gone. I retained a little finger independence, and I can still use all four thankfully.

I know I have to work up to where I was before, but I'm just wondering, even though I remember will songs, chord shapes, and scales, will my muscles have to relearn them too? Or, when my strength is back, will I magically be able to play everything I knew (just not up to speed). Also, what are some good exercises for (re)building finger strength? I swear, I feel like a beginner again haha.

Thanks in advance,
Johnny
Ivan Milenkovic
I'm not sure at what pace you will recover it is individual matter mate, but I hope it will be fast, and I'm pretty sure you will be able to play as before. Best advice that I can give you is don't push it too hard, and rush things. Be careful now that you've sustained an injury, and start simple and slow with metronome, and build up gradually.
Emir Hot
I wish you a quick recovery man. Ivan gave you a good advice. Just don't overdo stuff. If you feel pain then stop, relax and try again in a while. You need to train your fingers now and get them used to movements slowly.
Ramiro Delforte
Well, first of all what Ivan said it's really important. Because you must be really impacient to play again like you used to but trying to rush the process could harm you. So, be pacient.
I know what's a broken bone and a flacid muscle (once I broke my leg and I had to use a cast for 3 months). The muscle recovers faster than you might think. And also, not to worry about what you've learned is there and you won't have to re-learn it but you'll have to help your arm, wrist and fingers to remember those motions.

I hope this helps in anyway biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.