Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragon force solo
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Bands and Guitarists
Pages: 1, 2, 3
beebo
cool.gif laugh.gif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APRpFOwmNWU

Can someone help me on this one it's just a little tricky this is like my ultimate goal. If someone can play this at GMC then I love u (no not really) but it's a crazy solo right?
Pavel
That's a kickass solo BUT:
1. you really need to master all of the techniques to play that
2. you MUST have a Digitech Whammy-Pedal to play many parts of that solo

I also like this video here because it sucks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1uT8MUr7_4

Not too good playing ha?!?!
beebo
Almost everyone said they suck when they actually play live so I think they're only good because of the sound goes through computers to make it sound more accurate but they are awesome on the cd.

How much would the digital whammy thing cost anyway a lot?

can You or Kris play that? biggrin.gif or anyone on GMC
Why
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 4 2007, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a kickass solo BUT:
1. you really need to master all of the techniques to play that
2. you MUST have a Digitech Whammy-Pedal to play many parts of that solo
I also like this video here because it sucks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1uT8MUr7_4

Not too good playing ha?!?!

That's so bad, insanely bad.
Pavel
QUOTE (beebo @ Feb 4 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Almost everyone said they suck when they actually play live so I think they're only good because of the sound goes through computers to make it sound more accurate but they are awesome on the cd.
How much would the digital whammy thing cost anyway a lot?

can You or Kris play that? biggrin.gif or anyone on GMC

The Digitech Whammy is around 200$

When i first heard Dragonforce's album i was blown away - i really liked them! I was listening to them for a long time but than i saw that poor video on YouTube and stopped listening their music.

And NO - i can't play it. And i bet Herman is the only person in the world who knows (or not) what he is (isn't) playing because there is shitload of notes there and Whammy is screaming all over the place.
Anyway - GOOD LUCK playing that! smile.gif

QUOTE (Why @ Feb 4 2007, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's so bad, insanely bad.

That was the reason i stopped listening Dragonforce.
Why
I can play the solo from 'My spirit will go on' if that's any consolation.

QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 4 2007, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Digitech Whammy is around 200$
When i first heard Dragonforce's album i was blown away - i really liked them! I was listening to them for a long time but than i saw that poor video on YouTube and stopped listening their music.

And NO - i can't play it. And i bet Herman is the only person in the world who knows (or not) what he is (isn't) playing because there is shitload of notes there and Whammy is screaming all over the place.
Anyway - GOOD LUCK playing that! smile.gif
That was the reason i stopped listening Dragonforce.

Dragon force is a terrible band, really. I never liked them. Ever since I watched 'Herman li and Sam totman vs. MARTY FRIEDMAN' (The name of the file should be comical enough) I found out where they stood as guitarists. Namely: Nowehere.
Pavel
QUOTE (Why @ Feb 4 2007, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can play the solo from 'My spirit will go on' if that's any consolation.
Dragon force is a terrible band, really. I never liked them. Ever since I watched 'Herman li and Sam totman vs. MARTY FRIEDMAN' (The name of the file should be comical enough) I found out where they stood as guitarists. Namely: Nowehere.

Can you give us a link to that video? I've never seen it!
Why
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 5 2007, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you give us a link to that video? I've never seen it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uwWOKxRsNRE

Watch the jam at the end.
RIP Dime
QUOTE (Why @ Feb 5 2007, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God, that's not even fair, poor Dragonforce sad.gif . Marty is awesome(IMO one of the best guitarists ever), but Dragonforce is still young, and they were a little better in that vid than the GuitarWorld one, what annoys me is their tapping(beeping) wacko.gif . If they practice, and clean up thier playing to what they sound like on the album they'll be awesome. smile.gif
Zee Deveel
Yeah I saw them live at Download Festival 2006, giant pile of shit. They were all out of time with each other and fucked up all the riffs, just sounded like a big noise.
Pavel
QUOTE (Why @ Feb 5 2007, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG!! Yeah that's a good example of playing like shit! Hahahah What a solo SAM played, oh my God! He screwed everything!

QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ Feb 5 2007, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Second video is awesome! hahahaha
Steelkonsum
I think all of you should give them a break.

I'm not saying they are playing perfectly but I really don't see the need to bash them like this. And for brushing up stuff on the computer, I don't know if they do or don't but even if they did - so what? Every otherb and out the there brushes up stuff on the computer, just that it isn't something you normally discuss (except Slayer, who admitted in some interview that they speeded up the songs simply cause it sounded better that way).

I like them, I think their music is really good and I wouldn't stop listening to a band 'cause they suck live. Many bands suck live but are good in studio. And some bands suck in studio version but rock live.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Pavel
Take Steve Vai, Satch, Cooley and other great guitarists - they all rock live as in the studio!

Blind Guardian is the band that play songs perfectly live - their concerts are simply awesome.

I mean i don't say they are not allowed to make a mistake - but DragonForce suck bigtime live!
Zee Deveel
It's just hilarious that they make themselves out to be some of the best guitarists in the world (and are marketed as such), Herman Li has won various awards for his playing and they're pretty average shredders.
Why
Oh man, I've seen people who think Herman Li is a shredding God.. little do they know..

And Sam, I don't even want to talk about him. If you're claiming Sam Totman played that solo note for note in 'Through the fire and the flames' you must be joking.

Pavel: Yeah, Blind Guardian are awesome live. Also, DT on the Octavarium tour were pretty note for note spot on.
Why
Oh my god, I just found this, Don't cry while you watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oii1EF7DnFM
Pavel
OMG! hahahaha No comments!!!
Why
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 5 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG! hahahaha No comments!!!

Can you give me some kind of an explanation for WHAT THE HELL Sam was doing in that? I really, really don't understand. Was he out of tune? What the hell was wrong?!
Pavel
Everything was wrong! I am not sure he knew what should he play at all!
Zee Deveel
LMFAO! That guy is SHIT!
InstruMental Case
blink.gif Wow... they're a lot worse than I thought after seeing that Betcha Can't Play This video.
Climate
Haha nice find!
Why
QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ Feb 5 2007, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blink.gif Wow... they're a lot worse than I thought after seeing that Betcha Can't Play This video.

Watch the Marty one and then the live one and you'll think they're even worse.
moles
Hiya guys, first post rolleyes.gif
My friend and I have always bickered about Dragonforce.
He is a die hard Dragonforce fan and refuses to believe that they actually can't play what they say they can.
No matter how many videos I show him as evidence he always has an excuse (most of which are pretty drastic laugh.gif )

QUOTE (Why @ Feb 5 2007, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh my god, I just found this, Don't cry while you watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oii1EF7DnFM

I showed this video to him and he seemed shocked and used his normal, "Must be drunk" etc excuses.

Then he spotted something quite funny. Watch from 40 seconds onwards and keep your eye on Tom.

laugh.gif

I reckon thats what made him sound so out of tune in that video.

But there is no good excuse for the others laugh.gif Those are just baaaadd
Even if they are always drunk, that's just disrespectful to the fans. I mean, the fans pay good money to go see them and Dragonforce show up drunk and sound terrible? huh.gif
I know I wouldn't be such a loyal fan...
Why
Being drunk is no excuse. Dimebag was on drugs, drunk and stoned but he never played like THAT
ezravdb
synyster gates is even worse xD
InstruMental Case
Agreed.

... Which other players that everyone likes is really bad?
Steelkonsum
This is the last post I will make in this thread and I know I shouldn't even bother to post this one but honest to god you guys make me so pissed off.

You sit and bitch over a band because theyre not playing clean on live performances. But I must ask you, have any of you ever played on a stadium in front of hundreds and hundreds of people? Or on national tv in front of even more? Just asking, if you have it's cool but unless you have you might wanna can it. What if they have stage fright? And I am being 100% serious. People can have phobias and problems affecting stuff like live perfomances and it's a mental illness. Just like people can be afraid of spiders, long words, beards etc.

And I know for a fact I play 10 times better at home, in my bedroom with just me listening than I do in front of my girlfriend, family or even the band! Because I am more comfortable here.

I keep hearing all this crap about how they make themselves out to be some sort of guitar gods and blabla. Now I do not know for a fact but, have you ever seen7read/heard them actually say it? Or have you read it in the same magazin where ufos rule USA and Britney Spears have natural boobs? Also, abnout Herman winning a competition - how is this a bad thing? Maybe the others weren't as good and he won, how is this boasting about ones skills?

Anyway, untill you show me a video of yourself playing infront of at least 500 people at 150-200bpm note for note exact and sound perfectly clean I think you should all just f... well. You can guess what I want you to do.

Peace.
InstruMental Case
This isn’t about Dragonforce having stage fright and not executing their music correctly. Judging from EVERY live video I’ve seen of them, they can’t play it period. Their album is a total studio clean-up. That bothers me, but I could even excuse it if it weren’t for the fact that their fans (and some of my friends) pay money to go and see them, expecting what’s on the album only to find out the band can’t actually play their own music in a listenable way.

What annoys me the most is how many of these stupid and/or uninformed people completely idolize them and call them “guitar gods” and such. That’s just mind-numbing because there are countless bedroom shredders out there who are twice as good, have worked much harder on their playing, and many times have tried desperately to “make it” in the music industry but were unable to due to the mainstream media promoting phonies like Dragonforce.

… On top of that, faux shredding just really bothers me.
Pavel
QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ Feb 7 2007, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
faux shredding

What does that mean?? huh.gif huh.gif unsure.gif
InstruMental Case
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faux
InstruMental Case
In honor of this thread, I've created a new video...

"Dragonforce SUCK"!
Stevie-Ray-Vaughn
lmao thats a good video, 5 stars
RIP Dime
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Feb 6 2007, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the last post I will make in this thread and I know I shouldn't even bother to post this one but honest to god you guys make me so pissed off.

You sit and bitch over a band because theyre not playing clean on live performances. But I must ask you, have any of you ever played on a stadium in front of hundreds and hundreds of people? Or on national tv in front of even more? Just asking, if you have it's cool but unless you have you might wanna can it. What if they have stage fright? And I am being 100% serious. People can have phobias and problems affecting stuff like live perfomances and it's a mental illness. Just like people can be afraid of spiders, long words, beards etc.

And I know for a fact I play 10 times better at home, in my bedroom with just me listening than I do in front of my girlfriend, family or even the band! Because I am more comfortable here.

I keep hearing all this crap about how they make themselves out to be some sort of guitar gods and blabla. Now I do not know for a fact but, have you ever seen7read/heard them actually say it? Or have you read it in the same magazin where ufos rule USA and Britney Spears have natural boobs? Also, abnout Herman winning a competition - how is this a bad thing? Maybe the others weren't as good and he won, how is this boasting about ones skills?
Anyway, untill you show me a video of yourself playing infront of at least 500 people at 150-200bpm note for note exact and sound perfectly clean I think you should all just f... well. You can guess what I want you to do.
Peace.

Hey I wasn't bashing them, but fans do have a right to complain if they spend thier hard earned money for an awesome show and get a poor show. I hope they do practice, and improve thier live skills because what's on the album is good music IMO. Actually if I remember correctly in a Guitar World interview Sam said he sucks.
ezravdb
This doesnt sound to bad : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkuGfzNziBw...02&index=62
Kristofer Dahl
biggrin.gif Well here is some frantic discussions going on...I'm eager to jump in but it seems youtube is down (??).
ezravdb
QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ Feb 7 2007, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In honor of this thread, I've created a new video...

"Dragonforce SUCK"!

Do you even practice yourself? blink.gif huh.gif mellow.gif unsure.gif dry.gif
you're always putting up vids of other guitar players
Zee Deveel
Haha, I'd have stage fright too if I couldn't play any of my songs properly! biggrin.gif
InstruMental Case
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Feb 7 2007, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you even practice yourself?

Yeah, I basically practice like other people go to school. By that I mean I home school by correspondence, so I only have to spend about two hours on my textbooks a day, and the rest I’m free to practice, workout, make stupid videos, or whatever. More recently I’ve been trying to do a full-time practice schedule that covers most of the techniques I want to get good at. So I’ve been waking up at around 6am, starting practice by 7, and then practicing until the evening. But it’s a difficult schedule to maintain, and my right hand has really started to hurt sometimes.
Why
Playing live is a part of musicianship, If they can't play live they should pack up their stuff and quit. I don't see Gilbert, Petrucci, Cooley etc making any mistakes live and their stuff is about 10 times as technical.
Zee Deveel
IMC: I hear that man, my hand has been aching for a week now. tongue.gif

Working a lot this week and staying at my girlfriends so no guitar for me which is probably a good thing, I *really* wanna play but I'm sure a rest will do me good.
Liam
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Feb 7 2007, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nice vid , ezra
i think you proved, they can play B)

and the other video where sam is falling , and the pedals .. moehahahaha
Liam
My message from *Dragonforce & me* to you guys mad.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
laugh.gif
ezravdb
QUOTE (Liam @ Feb 7 2007, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My message from *Dragonforce & me* to you guys mad.gif biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
laugh.gif

ROFL
beebo
Wow I didn't mean to start a big argument I just wanted to show people that the solo sounded good not live huh.gif Did I make a topic that has the most replies. Is there a reward laugh.gif
Guitar Master123
QUOTE (beebo @ Feb 7 2007, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow I didn't mean to start a big argument I just wanted to show people that the solo sounded good not live huh.gif Did I make a topic that has the most replies. Is there a reward laugh.gif

No, I think the topic with the most replies is Yngwie Malmsteem Strat located in Gear. I made one with 42 repplies.
Kristofer Dahl
I am not very impressed either - I would not say they suck generally though. Writing cool songs and solos is a great ability - performing live is another one. (Note: I haven't heard any of their studio recordings)

These guys are still quite young so let's hope they'll get some more practicing time. smile.gif

Edit: So I checked beebo's original post and the youtube link - that was a really cool recording. Some kind of synth overdub is also audible. It was performed very tight (is it the beer perhpaps! wink.gif )
beebo
42 replies? this one has 48 so far duh blink.gif
Zee Deveel
"Day after day this misery must go on" Rofl! That's classic!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.