Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just Got Home From Guitar Center - Played A Bunch Of Fixed Bridge Guitars
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Praetorian
Ok, I decided to try a bunch of different fixed bridge guitars since I never use the trems on the guitars I have. I tried a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, a C-1 Classic, an Epi Les Paul (2 of them), an SG etc, etc. I found that the bridges on all these guitars were quite uncomfortable. The saddle came to a sharp point at the top and was digging into my palm when trying to palm mute...and some of the guitars it was a problem when playing any notes. It may be the way I play...but it was definitely annoying! There was ONE guitar that had a smoother fixed bridge...and it was a $2,300 PRS! Are there fixed bridge guitars out there that don't have this style saddle?
g-forcelover
try a bc rich mockingbird special such a comferable guitar, and amazing for palm-muting
lcsdds
Praetorian....why do you want a fixed bridge guitar again? I have found the same issue with fixed bridge guitars.....but I have never really played them that much.
fkalich
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 19 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I decided to try a bunch of different fixed bridge guitars since I never use the trems on the guitars I have. I tried a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, a C-1 Classic, an Epi Les Paul (2 of them), an SG etc, etc. I found that the bridges on all these guitars were quite uncomfortable. The saddle came to a sharp point at the top and was digging into my palm when trying to palm mute...and some of the guitars it was a problem when playing any notes. It may be the way I play...but it was definitely annoying! There was ONE guitar that had a smoother fixed bridge...and it was a $2,300 PRS! Are there fixed bridge guitars out there that don't have this style saddle?

You really should not give too much weight to your immediate impression. Often things grow on you if you give them a chance. And then sometimes they become your favorite. Regarding the sharp point, if you used that, you would just adjust to it in a short time I expect, and you might like it then. Personally I really like the Gibson bridge.

Also the body of the guitar will change things. For example the SG has the body undercut closer to the bridge than say a Les Paul, and the shape of the body is different, so your hand placement is naturally different. I really would not worry about the digging in, you would just adjust, 50 godzillion gibson players manage just fine with that bridge.
Praetorian
QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 19 2009, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Praetorian....why do you want a fixed bridge guitar again?

Not sure what you mean...I have never owned a fixed bridge guitar before.
lcsdds
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 20 2009, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure what you mean...I have never owned a fixed bridge guitar before.

laugh.gif laugh.gif Tell me AGAIN.....why do you want a fixed bridge guitar? laugh.gif laugh.gif Hard to express yourself in text sometimes. tongue.gif
JVM
I agree with fkalich. You can get used to anything. When I first played a strat, I was used to having two humbuckers, and with the addition of the middle pickup, I found it hard to play without digging into that pickup. I got used to it, and now it's my favorite guitar (except, incidentally, for the fact that it's got a tremolo wink.gif ).

In other words, don't let your accustomed ways prevent you from trying and adjusting to new styles that might end up being more comfortable, or whatever else in the end.

Also, you could always try blocking off the bridge to create a pseudo hardtail.
UncleSkillet
Hi Praetorian,

I have been hanging out at the same store for several weeks trying to find a new axe myself.

From everything I have played so far the Ernie Ball "John Petrucci" is buy far the best of both worlds. It really feels great and stays in tune no matter what you do to it!

You can get one for about the same price as the PRS but it is more versatile in my opinion. I played the PRS also by the way.

This is just a suggestion because I still have a few others I want to try before I purchase something and my wife complains and leaves me. ohmy.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Just kidding about the wife thing of course. smile.gif

Hope you find what you want.
lcsdds
Praetorian just a couple of suggestions. If you really don't want a trem then a fixed bridge is the way to go. If you are just having tuning issues then I would reccomend an Ibanez S-series guitar. The ZR trem is killer and holds it tuning VERY well. It is also easy to set up and adjust. The Ibanez SV5470 has a syncroniZR trem. It has a mechanism on it to where it can be adjusted to "dive only" mode.....essentially a blocked trem. PM Andy Veil (wrk) about it. He has one....you've probably seen it on his videos. Just a few suggestions if the only reason you are looking for a fixed bridge is because of the Hassle factor. Maybe you don't use the trem and it doesn't matter to you. I didn't use the trem for YEARS because of the "hassle factor".....since I found the ZR trem it has become a hue part of my style and I couldn't not have a trem equipped guitar. Good luck on finding something you like. I know that Schecter has just come out with an LP style fixed bridge as well.....Solo6 I believe. smile.gif
Praetorian
Thanks for the input guys! I am looking for a fixed bridge for a metal guitar since I never use the trem on my Ibanez. Besides that, I love my Ibanez! I don't want to sell it because I do enjoy playing it...but hate the pain in the butt that is the bridge. I would like to hang onto it though in case in the future I decide to try using a trem. Right now, I want a guitar that I can change tunings on without worrying about the bridge.

Edit: I have a Tremel-No installed on the Ibanez and it does work ok...but I would still like the added sustain of a fixed bridge with string through body design!
ZakkWylde
Man up and get accustomed to those fixed bridges^^
lcsdds
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 20 2009, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man up and get accustomed to those fixed bridges^^
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Mister_Riff
There are many fixed bridges that don't have that "pointy system"

Just to name a few:
An Ibanez RGA
A PRS SE custom 22
A telecaster
An Ibanez RGT6EXFX

Much luck picking out a new guitar wink.gif
kaznie_NL
Why don't you put a tremol-no in your guitar? Then you have your good bridge, and no tremelo problems!
audiopaal
I'm the complete opposite, I find that non-fixed bridge guitars are more uncomfortable smile.gif
My Gibson and Nik Huber guitars are very comfortable to play in my opinion, but each to his own I guess smile.gif

Hope you find one you like though, that's not a 2300$ PRS tongue.gif
MickeM
I think you just have to get used to the fixed bridge, being used to the Ibanez Edge that may take more time that what you spend with a guitar in the music shop.

If I twist the reasoning - Maybe it's not the guitar that's uncomfortable, maybe it's your technique that needs to adjust.

It's not the guitar it's you wink.gif
sted
I think the bridges you are referring to are the tune-o-matic types which are great bridges for tuning stability and easy re-stringing. I dont know what guitars you prefer but anything with a buzz feiten tuning system is worth a look mate.
Ivan Milenkovic
I would say like people before me - just take your time to adapt to a new bridge situation. I know the choice is tough, specially if you are giving it for a new guitar that you have to spend some time with, you don't want it to have any flaws from the start. But with every guitar it's the same - you just have to play it around a year to really get used to it completely. After that these problems will actually become what you will require in order to play good smile.gif
Praetorian
QUOTE (Mister_Riff @ May 20 2009, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are many fixed bridges that don't have that "pointy system"

Just to name a few:
An Ibanez RGA
A PRS SE custom 22
A telecaster
An Ibanez RGT6EXFX

Much luck picking out a new guitar wink.gif

Thanks for that input!!! That Ibanez RGT6EXFX looks to be EXACTLY what I am looking for!!!!!
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 20 2009, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that input!!! That Ibanez RGT6EXFX looks to be EXACTLY what I am looking for!!!!!

Why not just go for a Hardtail Strat? (Or maybe a Tele?)
It seems that your 'comfort' problem is with anything with a 'Tune-o-matic' style Bridge and the sharp pointy bits are the saddles. With a Hardtail Strat you obviously won't encounter the same problems! Plus they come in just about any Pickups configuration you can think of!!!!
Mister_Riff
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 20 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem wink.gif

I also suggest taking a look at the various guitarsites out there (just google the brands).

JVM
Quite sensible!
Ivan Mihaljevic
I don't like Gibson style bridges either!
Try a Music Man Silhouette hardtail or something like that with a different kind of hardtail bridge!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.