Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long Songs Vs. Shorter Songs
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Bands and Guitarists
The Uncreator
the 0:00 is just include songs that are less than or just over a minute.

We all know the length of a song has ultimately nothing to do with its quality, But I think we all prefer a certain length of a song. So pick which ever one you think is best or two that include a length that I did have (For example, I piced 10:00 - 12:00 and 35:00 + )

I always liked those long epic songs like Opeth, Dream Theater, Epica, some Symphony X, and the Iron Maiden epics that hold your attention the whole time and just have such awesome diversity and musicality in them. They are perfect for those long drives too work ( I often drive 1 hour to 2.5 hour to get to a job so it makes the time go by fast) or just relaxing and killing an hour too listening to the epicness of it all, Although its not for everyone.

So what do you prefer?
skennington
I voted 3:30-5:30 which I prefer the most. On occasion I will listen to a full length epic tune but it really has to capture me. I must admit I have a short attention span as well... rolleyes.gif
The Uncreator
Haha, I think the longer songs have improved my attention span so you never know what they might do for you laugh.gif
Fullmetal_Tmd
Really, I never paid attention to how long the songs I listen to. I listen to a lot of stuff, from the grindcore bursts, to long, complex compositions . I think the longest song I've heard was Dopesmoker by Sleep, which is a little more than an hour.

But I still chose 10-12 minutes, its the happy medium smile.gif
Eat-Sleep-andJam
I like songs anywhere from 3-9 minutes.

but if it is a really good tune, the time doesnt matter biggrin.gif
Jmguitar64
it really deppends on the band
Santiago Diaz Garces
Depends of a lot of things. The versatility of the song, if it keeps you paying attention all the time, the lyrics helps a lot too!!. Maybe a long song would be better if it's a short song. And besides can happen too. But I still prefer the long songs
Bogdan Radovic
As I'm a big classic rock/oldies/evergreen fan I chose 0-3 min song length... smile.gif
Fran
I voted 3:30 - 5:50, but truth is I prefer good songs, don't really care how long they are as long as I like them wink.gif
Skalde
I like it when most of the songs on a album are 3:30 - 5:30. But it is nice to have one or two songs which are longer.
Muris Varajic
Voted for 3:30-5:30 but it really doesn't matter if song is good. smile.gif
Skalde
That is right, if the song is good everything is fine. When the song rocks but it is less than 2:30 it is a little bit annyoing though dry.gif
Emir Hot
I like to listen to long songs but if you want a radio to play it, you have to make something no longer than 4:30.
Artemus
Does the 35m+ option include the likes of John Cage's ASLSP?

http://www.john-cage.halberstadt.de/

..probably not a radio edit... tongue.gif
Fran
laugh.gif that 30 min option just reminded me of Cure's "Carnage visors", 27 min, I guess it's the longest song I've heard smile.gif
Fsgdjv
Really really odd question, not to be rude or anything.

I prefer the length of a song that fits the song. I get annoyed when things are dragged out and repeated for the sake of making a song long, but I still want more than one chord. It differs between individual songs, it's like asking "what's your favourite BPM?". It just isn't that simple.

And because of that, I didn't vote.
sidewas lightning
I think it really depends on the song, but for songs with one basic idea in them, 5 minutes is tops. Multiple ideas should really just split up into multiple songs. However, Long songs are ok as long as you keep them interesting. Dragonforce commented on how they're having a hard time making radio versions of their songs just because their songs have a lot of parts to them (and also epic guitar solos.)
Ivan Milenkovic
There aren't that many very long songs in modern music, but I would say "The End" from the Doors is definitely one great song and it is long, and so is Offspring's "Killboy Powerhead" that is aroun 1.30 so it's the quality not the quantity
The Uncreator
Like I said, it ultimately has nothing to do with the quality. Obviously if you pick song lengths as long as I did you know plenty or enough songs that have the qualities you want in them of course to choose such an option smile.gif

Its just assuming that the song is already awesome I guess. Do you prefer a 5:00 amazing song, or a 10:00 amazing song? Think of it like that, a song that meets all your requirements.
VinceG
I think for the most part, long songs will bore me by the 3rd and 4th listen no matter how awesome it is. I love Mournful Congregation, but I hate the fact that there songs are lengthy. I need to be in a certain mood for me to pass through all of that with Funeral Doom for me to enjoy it. Nowadays, I like bands that can cram an awesome song in less than 5 without it feeling too short or too long. Its just right.
Canis
Hmm... I love it when songs are around 9-10 minutes or more, if they have the quality and composition to back it up. Though, if it's just repeating itself over and over without any form of evolution, I could be just as happy to listen to the same song if it were 4-5 minutes long.
-Zion-
i like songs that go from 3 minutes and forward..

one thing i really really hate tho.. is killer songs that finish (after 1-2 minutes) before they have even really begun..
Gerardo Siere
I think there is a reason to a a song to have the lenght they have.
Also as a form, the Cancion form isnĀ“t very long, so tradition and habit makes that songs to be not so long.
Other factor is the Bpm instead of just plain minutes:seconds.
bluetag
i personally enjoy songs anywhere from 0:00- 1:50 for maybe a fast punk song to 3:50-9:00 for maybe metal and prog. I have to say though i've listened to a 35 minute song by mars volta and its actually one of my favorites by them.
Matt23
I voted 3.30 to 5.30. I do like longer songs but I have to listen to them while I'm doing something else otherwise I get bored.
Pedja Simovic
Voted 3:30 - 5:30
I really don't mind duration of song but rather want to hear some great arranging and interaction between musicians!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.