Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building My Own Pedalboard...
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
ZakkWylde
I was bummed out with my effect pedals flying arround everywhere in the rehearsal-room but I didn't want to buy one of those expensive pedalboards so I went to the hardwarestore, bought some screws and a plate and bolted those little buggers down tongue.gif . I think it looks much cooler than anything I could have bought and it only cost ~20 Euros!

Here are the building steps from the drawboard to the finished pedalboard:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Skalde
looks like Heavy Metal smile.gif
superize
Looks nice....

And you can feel happy that it is you who built it
ZakkWylde
QUOTE (superize @ Jul 9 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks nice....

And you can feel happy that it is you who built it

Yeah! I built it with my Grandfather!
Jmguitar64
Pedal boards are way overpriced, kudos for making your own man. im planning on making one as well once i get all the pedals i want

btw, what pedas do you got?
MickeM
great, sturdy and has the looks smile.gif
ZakkWylde
QUOTE (Jmguitar64 @ Jul 9 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pedal boards are way overpriced, kudos for making your own man. im planning on making one as well once i get all the pedals i want

btw, what pedas do you got?

From Right to Left:

-Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah
-MXR Custom Shop GT Overdrive
-Boss Tuner
-ISP Decimator Noisegate
-MXR Carbon Copy Delay

That's all I will (propably) ever need, I don't need any fancy flanger/phaser type effects and I already have a great reverb on my Amp. I like the wah because it sounds old school like while being able to handle high gain and drop tunings, the OD thightens things up or boost, the tuner is a must for tuning AND muting the signal when you switch guitars, the Noisegate beacause I get A LOT of feadback from my Marshall on High gain+ it has a true bypass and finally the Delay a little offset as it goes into the efx loop - the analog delay just blows any digital delay out of the water tonewise!
Fran
Pretty cool Zakk!, you say you screwed the pedals to the board? How?
ZakkWylde
QUOTE (Fran @ Jul 9 2009, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty cool Zakk!, you say you screwed the pedals to the board? How?

I measured the distance between the screws on the back of the pedals, drawn it on the back of the aluminum plate and drilled holes. After that I bought longer screws and bolted the pedals on, replacing the original screws...
Fran
Sounds good!. I see you have boss tuner, just wondering, is that a true bypass? Or at least good enough not to suck much tone.
I'm thinking of getting one lately.
kaznie_NL
Isn't a basic pedalboard like this just a ground plate to screw your pedals on to? Crazy prices for those things.
Chris Evans
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 9 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it looks much cooler than anything I could have bought

I agree, looks way better than the Behringer board I bought, nice job mate! smile.gif
ZakkWylde
The boss tuner is the one Pedal I could not live without anymore!

The boss or Korg ones are the most reliable floortuners at a reasonable price.
The boss can be used in two ways as it has two outputs:
-Bypass: Tuning without muting the guitar but the signal is true bypassed
-Mute: Guitar signal is muted while tuning, no bypass but no irrtating tuning noise + great when switching guitars
Ivan Milenkovic
That is a nice pedalboard man! smile.gif

I made one pedalboard a while ago I don't have it anymore tho.. sad.gif

This is how it looked (in the case):

AdamB
I did my own pedal board, though I've not actually put anything on it yet. I got too ambitious and made it massive with multiple tears, so its really heavy and bulky. Also, I need to buy a good flight case to put it in, but I fear that could get expensive given its size.

I'll post some pics, I've been meaning to take some of my new guitar anyhow so shall do it at the same time, perhaps on the weekend.
kaznie_NL
Again, isn't a pedal board just like a base to put your pedals in? Or do you also connect the pedals to the board?
Bogdan Radovic
Good job on building your own pedalboard man! Looks like a professional job! How are you carrying it around? Do you have a box for it or something?

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jul 14 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, isn't a pedal board just like a base to put your pedals in? Or do you also connect the pedals to the board?

Well it basicly is. It also features inputs and outputs for your guitar/amp and possible through connections etc.Also you get one power source for all pedals and connections so its handy. I have boss bcb60 pedal board and I love it ! Its handy light and it provides me with all the necessary connections and cables , so on a gig I just lay it down and open it and everything is in there. Its so easy to carry around and sturdy I do think its a little bit overpriced but definitely its worth it if you have lots of pedals and gig around.
sted
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jul 14 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends mate, you can get some with built in power supplies and such, and also ones that come with wiring looms etc.
It all depends on what you use it for and what pedals you have to power/operate I suppose, I would build one to a flight case like Ivan did and just wire it all myself, then get a really decent power supply, I cant remember the name but the gigrig website has some awesome stuff for supplies, also check out their switching units which are just mega but inevitably loads of dough! rolleyes.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
If you guys are into DIY stuff, I can only say that building a pedalboard was a cool experience, but I today can safely say that getting a factory one (Like Boss BCB60) is much safer bet. Simply put - the quality of what you can made can never be as good as getting molded case that will be lighter, more practical and with better quality components (like patches, PS unit etc..). It is more pricey in the end, but not so much, maybe 40% (if you are buidling full pedalboard with case, patches and PS). I know it's sounds like a commercial, but I just wanted to give my thought on this.
Trond Vold
Nicely done Zakk smile.gif Looks great!

I built my own pedalboard not too long ago, but it's not halfway as sturdy and cool-looking as yours smile.gif

It's made from whatever i could find in the cellar:
Superglue, electrical tape and some wood-boards that used to belong to a bed. Cheap and crude with no pre-planning whatsoever, but does the job smile.gif

Here's a pic of it:

There's a hole on the front side where the GT-8 is. All the cables sticking out from the GT goes under the board.

Havent had the time to finish it or hook all the pedals up the way i want them yet, so it looks a bit messy right now. There's still bits of tape all over the floor biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.