Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: metronome and scales
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Uploads
lee
I've had my metronome since day one,and it has proven to be
a valuable tool.My problem is when i learn a new scale the
clicking sound seems to slow the process of learning the scale.
Once i learn the scale i have no problem with the clicking or
keeping time.Would it be better to learn the scale first,and then
use the metronome once i start to slide around between boxes.
Or should i tough it out?
buckjones
hey lee -

this is prolly the wrong way but the way i do it is i'll take just a little time getting my fingers familiarized with the scale and then whip out the metronome. this way my fingers know where their going... the main thing is not spending much time doing this so you don't start picking up a bad habit of not playing in time.

nate

btw - if this is a really bad idea i hope somebody will correct me on it! biggrin.gif
lee
QUOTE (buckjones @ Feb 18 2007, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey lee -

this is prolly the wrong way but the way i do it is i'll take just a little time getting my fingers familiarized with the scale and then whip out the metronome. this way my fingers know where their going... the main thing is not spending much time doing this so you don't start picking up a bad habit of not playing in time.

nate

btw - if this is a really bad idea i hope somebody will correct me on it! biggrin.gif

Thanks ...........I'll try that and see if that helps.........
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (lee @ Feb 18 2007, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks ...........I'll try that and see if that helps.........

I agree - when you are practicing, you should be mixing up your metronome practice with what I would call "R&D" (research and development) practice, as well as some jamming practice. In R&D practice you pick up something new, try it out a little until you are comfortable enough to move it to your metronome slot. So yes, it sounds sensible to learn the fingering for scales without the metronome first before you move it to your regular metronome practice.
lee
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 18 2007, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree - when you are practicing, you should be mixing up your metronome practice with what I would call "R&D" (research and development) practice, as well as some jamming practice. In R&D practice you pick up something new, try it out a little until you are comfortable enough to move it to your metronome slot. So yes, it sounds sensible to learn the fingering for scales without the metronome first before you move it to your regular metronome practice.

Thanks man......That sounds good...........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.