Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chords
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Fusar
Hi smile.gif
As I am a newbie to guitar, I started with the lessons with degree 1 wink.gif These are almost all about scales and chords... I know they are important, but I don't want to play them all the time smile.gif I don't want to go too fast, I want to involve chords and scales in my warm-up, but then play other things.
What do you think? Which chords are essential and should be learnt now, before I go further? The others I could learn while my daily warm-up...
Matt23
You should defintely learn chords and scales, but yeh they can get boring if thats all you do. You should learn songs/lessons that you like as well as chords and scales.
Laszlo Boross
Hi! Try to look for a song that you can play from the chords you learnt and practice it.The practice can be more interesting like this.But then don't forget to learn scales and chords!
NoSkill
It depends on what type of music you want to play, but off the top of my head, learn any chord you can that is played in the first three frets and with open strings. Then learn those same chords in bar chord format, then to mix it up, learn them in power chord format. You will be amazed at the variety of tone you will have. Scales and chords are the ultimate building blocks to learning to play guitar. Many people want to skip this step and learn to play songs. At the end of the day, they are playing Dust in the Wind at the campfire. Musical, yes. Entertaining, yes. Fulfilling? It depends on the player I guess. It's nice to know what you are playing, as well as how to play it. Just my thoughts.
Pedja Simovic
If you are beginner, you should definitely start with open chords. Like Tom mentioned, those chords are played within first 3 frets of guitar neck. Once you master these chords feel free to move to more advanced (BAR CHORDS).

Here is one lesson that I definitely recommend you check out. I guarantee it will help you !

LINK
Fusar
I'm aware that I absolutely don't have to skip scales and chords, but I want to learn the essential chords (I think Muris' lesson is what I need) and then learn not only chords but also songs and techniques. As I read your posts, I think I have to give me the time to get used to some chords, then focus on other things as well (but not forget about scales and chords) smile.gif
Using the chords in songs as Laszlo said seems interesting, and I will not only entertain me, but also other people smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Welcome aboard man! smile.gif

Check out my pentatonic workshop for some scale exercises! smile.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Fusar @ Jul 12 2009, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Using the chords in songs as Laszlo said seems interesting, and I will not only entertain me, but also other people smile.gif

That's well spotted,
practice sometimes sounds boring to others
so it's good to play some songs in a meanwhile.
Chords at first 3 frets ( no need for bare chords atm),
scale wise I would go for pentatonic (am per example),
C major and A minor scale, after that you'll expand it naturally. smile.gif
Fusar
Yeah, this way learning chords is far more interesting laugh.gif
You say, there is no need to play barre chords at the moment, but I think the F chord in your "Strumming and Arpeggio" is one... it's only this tricky last one which argues me out of playing the whole lesson mad.gif laugh.gif
I listened to Kris' introduction to scales (covers C major and A minor), was very useful, and they are very simple, will learn to play them a little faster every day smile.gif
and wow, Ivan, your Pentatonic Workshop is great! Seems like a lot of work and fun for the next days wink.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Fusar @ Jul 13 2009, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You say, there is no need to play barre chords at the moment, but I think the F chord in your "Strumming and Arpeggio" is one... it's only this tricky last one which argues me out of playing the whole lesson mad.gif laugh.gif

Let me tell you, I almost quited playing
cause of that bloody F bare chord, and the rest of them. laugh.gif
Fusar
For Heaven's Sake, great you didn't, shame on barre chords laugh.gif
so I won't drive myself round the bend, but I'll enjoy the rest of the lesson laugh.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Fusar @ Jul 13 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so I won't drive myself round the bend, but I'll enjoy the rest of the lesson laugh.gif

Right on. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.