Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Satriani Gives Some Advice
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Nighthawk1
Hi there GMC,
found something on youtube I'd like to share. Keep that in mind when practising guitar. Cheers guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3WqUXQq7I...feature=channel
Emir Hot
I've seen this before. All he says is 100% true. Great advices from an experienced player
vampire18
i dont know, i would buy a ticket to see him practice guitar, lol
Muris Varajic
Playing music, well said. smile.gif
audiopaal
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 22 2009, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad he said that biggrin.gif
If not, I would've had some extensive scale practice ahead of me tongue.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jul 22 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad he said that biggrin.gif
If not, I would've had some extensive scale practice ahead of me tongue.gif

biggrin.gif
lcsdds
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 22 2009, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How would you reccomend applying this advice Muris???? smile.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jul 23 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would you reccomend applying this advice Muris???? smile.gif

By receiving feedback from non musicians, from masses. smile.gif
lcsdds
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 22 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By receiving feedback from non musicians, from masses. smile.gif

AHHHH....the truest test.......Great advice Muris....\m/\m/
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jul 23 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AHHHH....the truest test.......Great advice Muris....\m/\m/

Anytime!
We (musicians) usually pay more attention to the structure
while non musicians listen to true form and message,
it's very hard to cross that line sometimes. smile.gif
purple hayes
QUOTE (vampire18 @ Jul 22 2009, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i dont know, i would buy a ticket to see him practice guitar, lol

Me too. ohmy.gif
sted
Man, that guy has had such a massive influence on guitar playing but he is still humble, helpful and unassuming. Atrue role model for anyone wanting to pick up a guitar!
Fusar
No exotic tips, but really helpful and certainly true wink.gif
Vasilije Vukmirovic
Very useful! I mean, I wouldn't question this guys methods! smile.gif
Jose Mena
QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Jul 23 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very useful! I mean, I wouldn't question this guys methods! smile.gif

I wouldn't either, he is only the most successful in his genre.
Laszlo Boross
Very useful instructions! Thanks for sharing! I agree with his ideology!
Vasilije Vukmirovic
guys check out the Mike Portnoy interview, it's right beside this one on tube. Really useful for bands!
Pedja Simovic
Satch always gives great advices, thanks for sharing!
Ivan Zecic
There's a lot of wise satch videos, everybody should take a look at those, there's a lot to learn!
Ivan Milenkovic
It's true of course, all of it, respect for Mr. Satriani
Daniel Robinson
I would totally agree with Satch's statements in this video.

Muris sensei is also correct that being a musician means making music, not practicing scales. The guitar and the scales are just tools...a means to an end.

I think all instructors here would agree that what we want for all of you is the tools to make music happen in your life.

We can give you the tools, and nudge you in the right direction, but its up to you what to do with it.

Making music cannot be taught, only the tools for creating it can be taught.

So back on topic, Joe is absolutely right about being honest with yourself, but also dont get bogged down with scales and chords.

So what if you only know 2 scales and a few chords, take what you know and write something with it. You might be surprised what even a little knowledge can produce. It can also help you see the big picture about music too

Daniel
UncleSkillet
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Jul 27 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Muris sensei is also correct that being a musician means making music, not practicing scales. The guitar and the scales are just tools...a means to an end.

I think all instructors here would agree that what we want for all of you is the tools to make music happen in your life.

We can give you the tools, and nudge you in the right direction, but its up to you what to do with it.

So back on topic, Joe is absolutely right about being honest with yourself, but also dont get bogged down with scales and chords.

So what if you only know 2 scales and a few chords, take what you know and write something with it. You might be surprised what even a little knowledge can produce. It can also help you see the big picture about music too

Daniel

I completely agree with this and love to read your comments in the posts.

When I was younger, learning, playing with bands on stage all I new was the music I could hear in my head. Didn't no theory ( that's probably not a good thing) but I played what I felt and tried to make the people listening feel it to. This is just as important to work on as playing scales, learning theory or what ever.

Don't be a robot player just trying to show off all the time with crazy fast licks. Your only crowd will be guitar players and that's a small percentage of your fan base. Play from the heart and everyone will listen.

Skillet
Rated Htr
Heard it before, but after I hear it, I feel the urge to really see what I've been doing lately o.O
Santiago Diaz Garces
I took something very helpful from Victor Wooten. He really made philosophy from music. He says that for him, music is a language. Techniques, theory, equipment, etc, are all words. But, to comunicate with other people, we must learn to mix these "words" and make phrases, so, we can comunicate with other people. Of course that if we want to be well known, we have to talk about all types of topics (genres in music) and we have to be original, so the people will pay atenttion to what we're saying. Very useful words for me
Bogdan Radovic
Hey thanks for sharing this video...Words of wisdom there...

@Santiago

Yeah Victor Wooten got a really good philosophy about music, its really honest and I see it true.
Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Jul 28 2009, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Daniel

I missed your posting man smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.