Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swamp Emg Position
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
mba64
Hi all ,I just swamp the position on my Emg`s on my Jacksson thinking that the sound was a little bright an fizzy with the 81 in bridge position, so now have 85 in bridge an 81 neck, and what a different much smother sound now and not so metallic, I was going to buy some new pupps but now the sound is great with 81 in neck the sound gets brighter and not so dull anymore, any more got this settings it seems very rare.

Muris Varajic
Smart move, try every option before you buy new ones. wink.gif
ZakkWylde
The EMG 81 and 85 can both be used as Bridge AND Neck pickups. The ceramic 81 is prefered by many players because of it's thightness and cutting high end while having a defined low end (Ceramic Magnet). I guess the high end was a bit too bright in your Jackson because it's alder body has a lot of treble already... it would sound a bit more balanced in a mahagony guitar for example

The EMG 85 is just as high powered as the 81 but it comes with an alnico V magnet which gives the 85 a smoother tone (more low end, less trebly). I guess it was just the right choice for your guitar, I would use another emg 85 for the neck though, i dislike ceramic pickups in the neck position.

You are not the only one to use diffrent EMG combinations:

-Kirk Hammett (metallica): dual emg 81
-James Hetfield (metallica): 81 bridge, 60 neck
-Jeff Loomis (nevermore): Dual 707 (7 string Emg 85 version)
-Zakk Wylde (BLS): 81 bridge, 85 neck
-Steve Lukather (TOTO): 85 bridge, 81 neck
-Syu (Galneryus): Dual 85
mba64
Thanks zakkwylde that why I was changing the pickups because off the bright wood, i think my is cedro.
colour of wood in screw holes I can see it is brown.
And the 85 balance up that.
And I will change to an 60 in the neck.
ZakkWylde
I didn't know there are Electric guitars amde out of cedro!?!
Normally Jacksons are made of Alder or basswood (and sometimes Mahagony). Seems like Cedro is avery bright sounding wood, good to know!

The Emg 60 is a great pickup for clean tones and rythm playing in the neck position. Another possibility for the neck, if you want some shreddy lead tones AND a good clean tone in the neck then you might want to try the 89. I installed it in my Flying V, the 89 is a 85 humbucker and an SA singlcoil in one pickup! You can switch from the 85 sound to a single coil for clean tones - I really like it!
mba64
Yes the 89 is also intresting,you can switch to singel.
Yes I heard that indian made Jacksson guitars are indian cedro, and alder is bright wood.

audiopaal
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 2 2009, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't know there are Electric guitars amde out of cedro!?!
Normally Jacksons are made of Alder or basswood (and sometimes Mahagony). Seems like Cedro is avery bright sounding wood, good to know!

The Emg 60 is a great pickup for clean tones and rythm playing in the neck position. Another possibility for the neck, if you want some shreddy lead tones AND a good clean tone in the neck then you might want to try the 89. I installed it in my Flying V, the 89 is a 85 humbucker and an SA singlcoil in one pickup! You can switch from the 85 sound to a single coil for clean tones - I really like it!

Thanks for the info, I've been wondering about the 89 smile.gif
mba64
Oh zakk you try out or heard anything about the new 81x, they got way more output
ZakkWylde
QUOTE (mba64 @ Aug 2 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh zakk you try out or heard anything about the new 81x, they got way more output

They have MORE output?

I haven't played any so far but I thought the X-series are more open and less compressed versions of the EMG classics because a lot of people always complained about the heavy compression of the EMG pickups. I thought less compression = less output but well there is always something new to learn, gotta try the X series sometime soon!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.