Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Music Notation ?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
lee
Hi All,

What does N.C. mean?I have seen it like this N.C.(F5).
I have also seen it alone N.C.Always above the staff.I
have not seen a chord on the staff below it just notes.
Also why is the (F5) beside it with no chord on the staff below?
kahall
QUOTE (lee @ Aug 17 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,

What does N.C. mean?I have seen it like this N.C.(F5).
I have also seen it alone N.C.Always above the staff.I
have not seen a chord on the staff below it just notes.
Also why is the (F5) beside it with no chord on the staff below?

It means No Chord. If you google or search for music notation n.c. you will get a few ways it is used, some right some wrong.
Oxac
I believe that in this context N.C. would imply that no chord is being played really and the (F5) would suggest that the harmony would have been evolving around the F Power Chord.

Per example, you could have Dm7 G7 N.C.(Cmaj7) C#m7b5 or something. This would sort of mean a break in the underlying chords BUT give you a hint on how to improvise there and is simply a matter of arranging the song.

(I think, that's how I would've used it I'd like som C or C (confirmation or correction, yeah I just made that up tongue.gif)).
lee
QUOTE (kahall @ Aug 17 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It means No Chord. If you google or search for music notation n.c. you will get a few ways it is used, some right some wrong.

Thanks kahall

QUOTE (Oxac @ Aug 18 2009, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that in this context N.C. would imply that no chord is being played really and the (F5) would suggest that the harmony would have been evolving around the F Power Chord.

Per example, you could have Dm7 G7 N.C.(Cmaj7) C#m7b5 or something. This would sort of mean a break in the underlying chords BUT give you a hint on how to improvise there and is simply a matter of arranging the song.

(I think, that's how I would've used it I'd like som C or C (confirmation or correction, yeah I just made that up tongue.gif)).

Thanks Oxac
Pedja Simovic
As Kahall and Oxac said , N.C means no chord.
There are plenty of books that are very useful and instructional for music notation.
I suggest THIS book.
That is first semester class at Berklee if you have no idea about music notation and how to properly write or read symbols. I tested out of that when we had our evaluations before the start of first semester, but trust me book is awesome! Get it if you can wink.gif
lee
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Aug 18 2009, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As Kahall and Oxac said , N.C means no chord.
There are plenty of books that are very useful and instructional for music notation.
I suggest THIS book.
That is first semester class at Berklee if you have no idea about music notation and how to properly write or read symbols. I tested out of that when we had our evaluations before the start of first semester, but trust me book is awesome! Get it if you can wink.gif

Thanks Penja always a big help bro.I think this book is just what I need.
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (lee @ Aug 18 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Penja always a big help bro.I think this book is just what I need.

Glad I could help Lee, you welcome man smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.