Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Practicing Scales
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
ChaotiClown
I have been following Andrews Cockburn's lesson "The Scales of Justice". My question is while learning these scales, should I be using Danilo Capezzuto's "spider" technique? I'm not too sure about the proper mechanics while playing through the notes. I don't want to start any bad habits in these early stages. Any advice will be appreciated smile.gif
Jakub Luptovec
Well there is many ways in which you can learn the patterns - its all about finding which works for you.

I dont know, what the spider technique is (can you post me a link to the lesson, where Danilo mentions it?) but some others:

Either you can just drill them mindlessly.

You can use horizontal approach - learning 3 nps boxes and connecting them with slides from one to other (as seen here http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...sliding-lesson/ )

You can use vertical approach (i.e. boxes... that means scales starting from first, third, fifth and seventh on the thickest string)

You can also use the caged system (for major scale): http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonvie...ge.php?id=11546 (this is based on C, A, G, E and D open chords - the first and easiest chords you learnt)

There is much more ways, but those are the most common I think.

Also - which scale are you practicing, might I ask?smile.gif
ChaotiClown
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Aug 21 2009, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well there is many ways in which you can learn the patterns - its all about finding which works for you.

I dont know, what the spider technique is (can you post me a link to the lesson, where Danilo mentions it?) but some others:

Either you can just drill them mindlessly.

You can use horizontal approach - learning 3 nps boxes and connecting them with slides from one to other (as seen here http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...sliding-lesson/ )

You can use vertical approach (i.e. boxes... that means scales starting from first, third, fifth and seventh on the thickest string)

You can also use the caged system (for major scale): http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonvie...ge.php?id=11546 (this is based on C, A, G, E and D open chords - the first and easiest chords you learnt)

There is much more ways, but those are the most common I think.

Also - which scale are you practicing, might I ask?smile.gif

This is the link to the spider technique. http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...independence-I/
The scale I am practicing is the minor pentatonic scale. I have only been playing for about 2 weeks now so still working on things such as timing and alternate picking. Thanks for the help Jakub! I will be sure to check out those links you posted, but for now its off to work huh.gif
Jakub Luptovec
But if you are practicing good timing and alternate picking right from the start, you are on the right track;)

Well regarding minor pentatonics - it has 5 boxes as seen here, which repeat every 12 frets (= octave)
(although the 1st one there is actually the last one.. the 2nd is the first one smile.gif)

And regarding pentatonics as whole, they are basically simplified scales - instead of 7 notes (diatonic) they have 5 notes (pentatonic). For start all you have to know is, that we have Minor and Major pentatonic. Later on, as you will delve deeper into the theory behind it, you will understand the relations they have.. but for now just learn the both pentatonics up and down smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
If you want to practice scales, here are some of my lessons for it:

Pentatonic Workshop Lesson Part 1 - CAGED Method

Mastering Diatonic Pattern Part 1 - CAGED Method

Mastering Diatonic Pattern Part 2 - 3-note-per-string Method
ChaotiClown
Thanks guys. I will also take a look at your lessons Ivan.
Matt23
Yeh I agree with everything that's been said. Just try both and see what works best. There will probably be advantages to both methods, so if you can be bothered, learn them both, and use them both where they work best.
Bogdan Radovic
Danilo's exercises lessons are very useful to get your fretting/picking technique together when you are starting. I would recommend to go through those lessons: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Danilo-Capezzuto
Finger sync series is especially good to make your hands work together.
Mitch Roberts
Im assuming you are working on pentatonic scales, definately do your research on fingering beforehand as to not make any bad habits. Also, when i was learning my pentatonic and diatonic scales i saw it as a great way to work on picking technique. Pentatonic - 2 notes per string, alternate picking. Diatonic - 3 notes per string, economy picking. If you arent sure what economy picking is, if your playing a scale that has 3 notes per string, while your going from your lowest string to highest, pick D/U/D D/U/D, and then ascending from high E to low E pick U/D/U U/D/U. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone!
Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (Mitch Roberts @ Aug 27 2009, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im assuming you are working on pentatonic scales, definately do your research on fingering beforehand as to not make any bad habits. Also, when i was learning my pentatonic and diatonic scales i saw it as a great way to work on picking technique. Pentatonic - 2 notes per string, alternate picking. Diatonic - 3 notes per string, economy picking. If you arent sure what economy picking is, if your playing a scale that has 3 notes per string, while your going from your lowest string to highest, pick D/U/D D/U/D, and then ascending from high E to low E pick U/D/U U/D/U. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

Yes this is specially true, I agree with Mitch 100%. While practicing these scales make sure you cover as many different picking techniques possible. On one set of patterns do AP, on other do EP, start from both downstroke & upstroke, this will give your picking technique a lot of flexibility.
Pedja Simovic
Excellent suggestions especially from fellow instructor Mitch!

I would add one thing to everything. Record yourself as much as you can. Try to do both audio and video and you will hear(and see) things that need improvement. Sometimes you are not even aware of mistakes you make before hearing recording of yourself. Reason for this is because guitar playing is complex process. You focus on what left and right hand need to do, what notes to play, what chords to play, to be in time with band etc All this puts a lot of pressure and sometimes ears are not 100% tuned in to listen what actually comes out of your instrument. This is why recording is highly recommended!
Good luck and have fun smile.gif
ChaotiClown
Thanks guys! I have been practicing Ivan's lesson "Pentatonic Workshop Level 1". So far I can play the scale with AP as fast as 8th note trips, but am struggling with the 16th note and 16th note trips. I can't seem to get both hands working together enough to move that fast, but I am guessing lots of practice is the only way to get there. I would like to do some recording and vids but as of now, I don't have the equipment. Any suggestions on a decent webcam and some type of audio interface? I don't have a lot of money to spend on this right now, so what is the most economical equipment that will still give me decent enough results to post some stuff on here in the future? Again, thanks guys for all the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.