Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Guitar Wih Emg 81 85
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
anders3604
Hello!

I´m trying to figure out witch guitar to by.
I have a Jackson DK2M DINKY witch I really like.

I mostely play metal riffs and I like the sound of active EMG 81 85 pickups so I decided that the guitar should be equiped with those.

I never use the whammy bar so I don´t want that.

So, a metal guitar with EMG pickups and non whammy bar.

Any suggestions?

Well the price range is about 1k-1 1/2k usd

Regards
Anders
Sweden
audiopaal
Take a look at some ESP Eclipse II models, very nice guitars smile.gif
Sensible Jones
Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1. (Has Seymour Duncan Blackout Active pickups instead of EMG's.)
Dean Deciever.
biggrin.gif
dark_dude
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Sep 4 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take a look at some ESP Eclipse II models, very nice guitars smile.gif

Save some cash and get the LTD EC-1000. Has EMGs and it's a killer. Could use the saved cash on something else.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-ec.html

EDIT: 81, 60 though.
skennington
Since you like your Jackson and don't prefer a floating trem, take a look at the SLSMG...

SLSMG

It's a neck-thru soloist model with the 81-85 combo.
vampire18
schecter c-1 hellraiser
has everything you described
ZakkWylde
Any specific guitar body shape?

There are hundreds of guitars to match you description...

-The hellraiser series by Schecter
-Esp ltd makes just about any shape with EMGs
-Epiphone Prophecy series area agreat bang for the buck
-The already mentioned Jackson SLSMG (Trond Volds main guitar)
-Ibanez Matt Blachand signature RGA
-Fender Jim Root Tele or Strat signature
Ivan Milenkovic
I agree with Paal, ESP Eclipse guitars with EMGs are awesome, definitely check them out.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_custom.html
Praetorian
As stated before...I would check out either the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (quite a bit less than you have to spend), but would strongly recommend trying the Jackson SLSMG - See Trond Vold's videos, he uses a beautiful red one on many lessons.
audiopaal
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Sep 5 2009, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As stated before...I would check out either the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (quite a bit less than you have to spend), but would strongly recommend trying the Jackson SLSMG - See Trond Vold's videos, he uses a beautiful red one on many lessons.

I also think Trond could vouch for the ESP as well, as he enjoyed mine quite a bit smile.gif
iamblackmo
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Sep 4 2009, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also think Trond could vouch for the ESP as well, as he enjoyed mine quite a bit smile.gif

Yea, I would go ESP but my boy has the Schecter Hellraiser. The make them without a floyd rose but this is one comfortable emg packing one-piece guitar. It is relatively inexpensive but I would rather spend a bit extra on an ESP because I think to get the same quality Schecter would require buying an American one, and they are not cheap.
anders3604
Hello!

Thank you for all the answers.

I´ve been thinking of a ESP guitar or the Jackson SLSMG.

Iwas a bit stupid to give my price range in usd since I live in Sweden and guitars are so much more expensive here.
For example.

ESP Eclipse II Musicians friend. 1500$
Thomann )The cheapest store in Europe) 2300$

Are the ESP LTD models any good or should I save to a real ESP.

I guess I´m going to a music store today to try out some of the models you mentioned smile.gif

Thank you guys.
Koopid
I chose the "real" ESP Eclipse after trying both, it just felt better to play on, soundwise I couldnt tell you smile.gif

AND, buy the Eclipse at musikbörsen or Jam. They are selling it for 15k SEK now (marked down from 20k). This way you got a swedish retailer if you have problems and the price is cheaper than Thomann right now..

EDIT: And.. I happen to own both the Jackson SLSMG and the Eclipse and I love both of them smile.gif The Eclipse is my main guitar because I think it looks better than the Jackson but they are both superb guitars.
anders3604
QUOTE (Koopid @ Sep 5 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I chose the "real" ESP Eclipse after trying both, it just felt better to play on, soundwise I couldnt tell you smile.gif

AND, buy the Eclipse at musikbörsen or Jam. They are selling it for 15k SEK now (marked down from 20k). This way you got a swedish retailer if you have problems and the price is cheaper than Thomann right now..

EDIT: And.. I happen to own both the Jackson SLSMG and the Eclipse and I love both of them smile.gif The Eclipse is my main guitar because I think it looks better than the Jackson but they are both superb guitars.

Oh, that was a really good deal.

I think that I will eather by a ESP or the Jackson guitar but I don´t know which one.

I guess that the ESP neck is thicker?

And also, what are the difference in sound between the guitars?
I imagine that the ESP should be a deeper sound and the Jackson a more screaming sound but maybe that´s just my imagination tongue.gif.
Koopid
QUOTE (anders3604 @ Sep 5 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, that was a really good deal.

I think that I will eather by a ESP or the Jackson guitar but I don´t know which one.

I guess that the ESP neck is thicker?

And also, what are the difference in sound between the guitars?
I imagine that the ESP should be a deeper sound and the Jackson a more screaming sound but maybe that´s just my imagination tongue.gif.

The neck on the ESP is a bit thicker yeah, but the Jacksons is a bit wider, or atleast it feels that way to me smile.gif The sound on the ESP feels a bit deeper and "rounder" in my ears but I'm no expert.
Ivan Milenkovic
Just a quick update, I tried LTD Deluxe today in the store with EMG pickups, it was this guitar:

M-1000 LTD Deluxe,

very fine piece, good playability.

specs:
M-1000

* Set-Thru
* 25.5” Scale
* Alder Body
* Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* Locking Nut
* 43mm Neck Width
* Extra Thin U Neck Contour
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Nickel Hardware
* Grover Tuners
* Floyd Rose 1000 Series Bridge
* EMG 81 (cool.gif / 81 (N) Active p.u.
* Finish: SW
anders3604
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 5 2009, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a quick update, I tried LTD Deluxe today in the store with EMG pickups, it was this guitar:

M-1000 LTD Deluxe,

very fine piece, good playability.

specs:
M-1000

* Set-Thru
* 25.5” Scale
* Alder Body
* Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* Locking Nut
* 43mm Neck Width
* Extra Thin U Neck Contour
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Nickel Hardware
* Grover Tuners
* Floyd Rose 1000 Series Bridge
* EMG 81 (cool.gif / 81 (N) Active p.u.
* Finish: SW

Thats a real beauty, love the fret inlays.
To bad it has a Floyd Rose.
Maybe I can ask you a question. I much does the type of wood in the body do?

I´ve heard lot of people saying that it should be mahogny. But very many do also say that with the EMG pickups it doesn´t really matter?

Sensible Jones
Just saw this in case you're interested??

IBANEZ RG
With a Buy it Now for £275, seems like quite a good deal for the money!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
anders3604
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 7 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just saw this in case you're interested??

IBANEZ RG
With a Buy it Now for £275, seems like quite a good deal for the money!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

That seems like a good deal to me too.

Will think about it biggrin.gif

Thanx for the post!
Sensible Jones
No probs!!!
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.