Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Was Your First Amp?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Staffy
I was sitting and thinking yesterday of how "serious" we guitar players are about sound. I mean, a drummer or a piano player just have to play on whats available. I realized that I owned about 50-60 guitar amps through the years, and that made me think of my first "babe", which was actually not an amp at all. My mother had an tube-driven radio by Philips, that gone obsolete when the transistor radios came around, so I took that. I managed somehow to get the guitar signal into it. At first I even had an electric guitar, It was an acoustic with that little piezo-mic (that looks like a hearing-aid battery), that sounds like crap. But this so-called amp stayed with me at home for years when I was practicing, and what I can remember it sounded pretty good. (or maybe my memory is way out) Anyway, its a nice memory in this time of high-tech equipment. If anyone else has similar experiences, please share!!!! smile.gif smile.gif
Jerry Arcidiacono
Mmm... If I remember right it was a generic/keyboard transistor amp. Really bad one... mad.gif biggrin.gif
MickeM
A solid state Peavey Backstage 20W amp, got it used in -90 and it still worked fine when I sold it a couple weeks ago. A real champ!! smile.gif
Jesse
a volcano... 15 watts... biggrin.gif
Now im rockin the 65 watt Fender Transistor Frontman:D
Staffy
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 14 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A solid state Peavey Backstage 20W amp, got it used in -90 and it still worked fine when I sold it a couple weeks ago. A real champ!! smile.gif

Oh, yeah! I remember those, that was actually my first "real" amp too. My friend had an FBT, which sounded horrible, but the tiny Backstage was OK. smile.gif

//Staffay
loundzilla
Mine was an Ashton Solid State GA10 (a little 10 watter) - rubbish little amp lol. Upgraded to a line 6 spider 3 75 2 months ago and the difference was .... well..... its blew my face off smile.gif
audiopaal
A little Fender 10W transistor amp..
Terrible sound, but worked for a fresh beginner smile.gif
Rated Htr
Good old Fender Cyber-Deluxe smile.gif
Emir Hot
Home built garbage smile.gif

Skalde
peavey transtube
Staffy
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Sep 14 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehee, then we are at least two! I consider my old radio sort of home-build, since I did some awesome mods on it, like switchin the speaker to another and created an aux input, that was not there before. One major problem was that sometimes a radio station dialled in accidently and disturbed my playing, since that signal was a lot higher.... biggrin.gif
Tolek
Mine was an amp without trademark. I got that no-name amp with my "Santander" guitar (really bad one) on eBay for 120€. biggrin.gif The sound controls (Bass, Mid, High) are not normal. When I want to adjust some frequences, my amp becomes loud... I mean REALLY loud. laugh.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
I started with Marshall G30RCD 30W solid state, cheap amp, and definitely not to be considered Marshall, but it served me great, I carried it in many studios, dropped it couple of times really bad and it worked no problems. I think they made these late 90ties China models at least reliable.
Muris Varajic
It was Peavey Reknown 100 or som. smile.gif
Neurologi
A Pignose something or other can't remember the model. 10W All-tube. Little did I know then it was actually good! smile.gif Loud as considering its wee size. Wish I had kept it now ...
Chris Evans
a really cheap and nasty 50w transistor amp smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Something similar to Marshal MG10 smile.gif I still have it somewhere around the house smile.gif
Fran
Mine was a Crate solid state, not a good one though laugh.gif
Bondy
My first amp was a old 50watt Peavey Bandit or i think it was, all i remember about it was the re-verb did not work laugh.gif
ZakkWylde
I went all out (all out for a 16 year old) and bought a new 50 watt Marshall AVT Hybrid Combo for 500Euros. I thought, if I didn't like playing guitar, I can atleast sell that baby for a decent price...
UncleSkillet
Little Peavey solid state amp for me.
playaxeman
Peavy transistor 30 watt amp
Dr.Arp
biggrin.gif

Similar story wink.gif...Peavey 15-30 watt (I have no idea which model ...) with a 10" speaker for 35€ @ ebay .
Matt23
A Roland Microcube. It was allegedly only 2 watts but it was louder than some 10W amps.
sted
A H&H trucker 100w head and a fender cab with twin 120w Celestion speakers!! No joke!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.