Weekly assignment 4: Technique and timing workout Lesson to practice: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-3/
To be able to play all 6 exercises without mistakes on various tempos and all over the fretboard.Purpose :
Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills.Instructions :
Start tempo: 60 bpm
Target tempo: 120 bpm
Time to practice: 30 minutes daily
You should start by playing quarter notes (meaning one note per metronome click). After you successfully master the tempo of 120bpm (in quarter notes) switch to playing 8th notes (meaning 2 notes per metronome click). You need to play each exercise continuously over whole fretboard. In practice that means - you want to start an exercise on 1st fret, do the exercise ascending and descending and once you finish the pattern immediately move the whole thing one half step higher starting now on 2nd fret and move up the neck that way. For successful practice you need to be able to get to the 12th fret without mistakes on each tempo you practice on.Rules of the practice:
1. Fretting hand will be fretting 1 finger per fret. You fretting hand thumb should be behind the neck - giving support.
2. Picking hand will be doing alternate picking. When picking notes alternate strictly between index and middle finger. Keep alternating even when changing strings you are playing on. Playing two notes in a row with a same finger is considered as a mistake when doing this kind of practice.
3. Picking hand thumb should be anchored on a "string above" the one you are playing on. If you are playing on E string, rest the thumb on the pickup. If you are playing on G string rest the thumb on D string - you get the concept.
4. Do not go to a higher tempo until you are comfortable on the previous one regarding all aspects mentioned.
5. Making mistake in alternating, fingerings or thumb positioning will restart your exercise. Pay attention to ALL the points mentioned. Do not go to a faster tempo if you can't maintain perfection in all three aspects (alternate,thumb position,fingering).Requirements :
Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. On which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
In the end of the week I want you to record all 6 patterns played on the tempo your are comfortable with (highest comfortable one for you at that time) starting from 1st and ending on 12th fret. Include a metronome click or drum backing in your recording. Recording should be VIDEO.Deadline to complete:
1st of November
Good luck and remember to post your questions and progress!p.s. you have got some experience with these exercises but I want you to focus more on the technique. Pay attention to all the details described in rules of the practice + try to have transitions between two notes as smooth as possible (avoid staccato sounding practice). This weeks set of exercises starts on ring finger so they may be a little more difficult then others (ring finger is our weakest finger).
p.p.s. For the required video , let me know which BPM backing do you need for recording - you don't have to master 120bpm , you can do 60 or any other tempo which you end up on after weeks practice.