Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bbe Sonic Stomp
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
OzRob
My first review...if this goes ok, I have a few more ideas. mellow.gif

Gear: The BBE Sonic Stomp brings all the audio magic of its rack-mounted big brother - the 482i Sonic Maximizer - to the foot of the guitarist using pedals.

The Sonic is not an effect or tone manipulator. When a person hears an instrument live (with no speakers involved) the sound is organic and provides the particular timbre of that instrument. However, a sound played through speakers involves a phase delay between higher and lower frequencies, where the lower frequencies reach the listener earlier than the higher frequencies resulting in a 'muddier' sound than the instrument actually produces. This process also introduces amplitude distortion resulting in affected harmonics.

All of the Sonic Maximizer family (stomp, rack and digital - available as RTAS and VST plugins for your DAW) correct these audio distortions through delaying the frequencies on a spectrum, allowing the sounds to reach the listener as they would in a live environment, producing a more organic and tighter audio experience.

Price paid and where it was bought: I paid Australian $200 from an online vendor within Australia for the Sonic Stomp. I also bought the digital version - the D82 plugin - for use within my DAW and paid $129 USD through Nomad Factory as a download.

Own experience: I initially downloaded the demo version of the plugin to try it out. The difference in sound was immediate, obvious and pleasing to the ears. The demo had a two-week tryout period and by day 2 I knew I would keep using it, so I bought the full license and also ordered the Sonic Stomp to use for live playing.

Own musical preference: I listen to a wide range of music but tend to play heavier styles such as gothic metal and am newly moving into a more industrial feel. However, I also play in the church band which is closer to pop in style.

Ease of use: Both the pedal and the plugin could not be easier to use. The plugin's interface looks just like the pedal version but with the addition of an output level 'knob'. The pedal has two knobs and a switch. The Lo Contour knob allows the user to adjust the low frequency phasing and the Process knob adjusts the overall range, but it may be helpful to think of the knobs as Bass and Treble (though this is not an EQ device). The switch is true bypass and simply turns the Maximizer circuit on or off. There is one input and one output. For stereo, or multiple instruments, a rack version could be considered. The Maximizer should always be used last in an effect chain and be placed just prior to the amp/speakers. Another positive here is that it is set-and-forget. Whatever your environment (gig, studio, practice), dial in the adjustment you want and then leave it. The pedal runs off a 9v battery or adapter (it is meant to ship with adapter included but mine didn't so the store sent me a BOSS).

Sound quality: The Maximizer positively adjusts the overall sound quality without affecting tone. As already mentioned, it simply reorders the timing of different frequencies to allow a tighter, more natural sound. It reduces muddiness, improves clarity and harmonics, and is particularly useful after digital multi-FX units, though even analog effect users have noted the tighter, brighter experience.

This 2 minute clip has 3 samples each played twice - first time without BBE, second time with BBE. There is a slow, heavily distorted barre chord progression, then an acoustic run, then a lead run. Unfortunately, the clip lost 'something' in the Soundclick conversion (eg. the acoustic sounds fizzy and clipped) but it hopefully gives a basic reference point for sounds. Best to try one out in a shop or download the demo plugin for your DAW and judge for yourself.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_pl...hi&newref=1

Reliability: The Stomp is in a well built metal case with a very solid switch and metal knobs. Should take as much abuse as any BOSS pedal, but because it's set-and-forget it will rarely be touched. I've had mine since December 08 with no problems so far.

Summary: The Sonic Stomp is highly recommended to tighten up overall sound, especially for heavier styles where muddiness can be an issue. It will help the guitarist cut through the mix (but can be used on any electric instrument). Especially recommended for digital multi-FX users but also adds brightness and clarity to analog and acoustic line-ups.
Bogdan Radovic
Cool review mate! I wonder how would it work on bass instrument and is it useful there too.
Ivan Milenkovic
This is very cool mate, thanks for this review. I always wondered how it would sound like, I guess it is definitely worth experimenting with this.
David Wallimann
Nice review1
I've always been curious about these pedals, I've been using the pluggin for a while..
Thanks!
OzRob
Bogdan,

It does work on a Bass.....it works on any electric instrument. I know of guys using them for keyboard. I'd put up some clips but dialling it in would be subjective because I haven't had much to do with bass and what makes for a good bass sound.

-----------

Ivan,

It really is worth playing with. It's one of those things that's very subtle but when you turn it off, you instantly miss it.

-----------

David,

Since you're using the plugin already you know what it does. The stomp adds that same power to your live playing. I find it great to cut through past the drums and keyboard and 3 singers!
Bogdan Radovic
Thanks for info man! After looking at some clips around the net I can see the need for this pedal smile.gif If I get a chance I will definitly buy it! smile.gif
OzRob
How do I add this to the Wiki? Not trying to do the wikiwriter thing, just want to do a few articles on some gear.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the wiki tutorial.
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (OzRob @ Oct 14 2009, 03:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do I add this to the Wiki? Not trying to do the wikiwriter thing, just want to do a few articles on some gear.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the wiki tutorial.

Do you want me to add it for you?
I can put it on the front page of the Gear Wiki then as well!
biggrin.gif
ZakkWylde
My local musicstore makes productvideos and they did one on the BBE sonic Stomp

It's in German but you can get a good impression on what this pedal does...
I have yet to try it out because I think I will instantly like it but I have no cash to add it to ma rig -.-
OzRob
Hey Jonesy,

Feel free to add it if you like. I have some other ideas to come and I'll start from scratch by following the tutorial. smile.gif
Trond Vold
Awesome review smile.gif
I used to have a sonic stomp, but i got rid of it and got a 882i Sonic Maximizer rack unit instead since i needed stereochannels.

I keep it on all the time.
Gabriel Leopardi
Great review and awesome pedal! Somebody told me a while ago about the existence of this pedal and said that it's like a magical pedal... I've never tried it but I get the free demo of the soft right now! Have you compared the pedal result with the plug in result? Is it the same or at least similar?

Trond Vold
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 29 2009, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review and awesome pedal! Somebody told me a while ago about the existence of this pedal and said that it's like a magical pedal... I've never tried it but I get the free demo of the soft right now! Have you compared the pedal result with the plug in result? Is it the same or at least similar?

I've used the plugin, and it's almost identical to the pedal.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Oct 28 2009, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've used the plugin, and it's almost identical to the pedal.

Cool! Thank you Trond! wink.gif
audiopaal
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 11 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool review mate! I wonder how would it work on bass instrument and is it useful there too.

Yeah, great review smile.gif

I use the plug-in, and it sounds GREAT on bass as well!
I could make a mp3 where you can hear it on and off, if you're interrested smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 29 2009, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool! Thank you Trond! wink.gif

I use it all the time, sounds great smile.gif
OzRob
Yep, plugin works just like the pedal or rack.

A 10-day fully functional demo is available here. I bought the full license on day 2! laugh.gif
http://www.nomadfactory.com/downloads/d82/index.html
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Oct 29 2009, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, great review smile.gif

I use the plug-in, and it sounds GREAT on bass as well!
I could make a mp3 where you can hear it on and off, if you're interrested smile.gif

I use it all the time, sounds great smile.gif

That would be really cool to hear (bass sound - on and off). Does plugin sound the same as stomp or rack ?
audiopaal
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 31 2009, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would be really cool to hear (bass sound - on and off). Does plugin sound the same as stomp or rack ?

I'll try to get it done tomorrow or monday smile.gif
I'll PM when I've posted it here!
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Nov 1 2009, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll try to get it done tomorrow or monday smile.gif
I'll PM when I've posted it here!

Thanks , I appreciate it! Take your time, and PM would be great. I'm think this is the next pedal I need for my pedalboard ( MXR Deluxe Octaver and this one). Seems so useful! smile.gif
OzRob
BBE have two new tools to complement the D82 Sonic Maximizer. They are the H82 Harmonic Maximizer and L82 Loudness Maximizer. All 3 are offered together as the BBE Sound Sweet. Legit owners of the D82 can upgrade to the Sweet for US$50.

http://nomadfactory.com/products/bbe/sonic_sweet/index.html

15 day free trial.
Bogdan Radovic
Thanks for info! Gonna check em out! smile.gif

QUOTE (OzRob @ Mar 10 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BBE have two new tools to complement the D82 Sonic Maximizer. They are the H82 Harmonic Maximizer and L82 Loudness Maximizer. All 3 are offered together as the BBE Sound Sweet. Legit owners of the D82 can upgrade to the Sweet for US$50.

http://nomadfactory.com/products/bbe/sonic_sweet/index.html

15 day free trial.
Sinisa Cekic
This pedal for a long time collecting dust in my closet. I tried to fix some sound through it, but finally result was inconclusive, always .
Bogdan Radovic
I'm still looking to test one out in local stores. Really wonder how it does on bass smile.gif
Hope they'll show up in stores soon...
Ivan Milenkovic
I don't trust these "magic" pedals, but who knows, they might sugar up things a bit biggrin.gif
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 1 2010, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't trust these "magic" pedals, but who knows, they might sugar up things a bit biggrin.gif

This is why I find it as interesting option. It can fatten up sound by manipulating low and high frequencies and from what I heard it makes the output sound clearer and glassy top. I think (can't know for sure until I try it) that it could do a great job for those mid scooped slap sounds on bass and many amps I play on don't have that option (shape filter) on board. It could also just work as a slap sound booster pedal - making it have bigger bottom and snappy highs.... That is for what I would like to use it anyway... Hope it will arrive in stores to try it out...
Ivan Milenkovic
I just hope the bass doesn't loose it's definition from all those mid scooping, and turns into boomy clicking. But it would be interesting to try it..
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 1 2010, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just hope the bass doesn't loose it's definition from all those mid scooping, and turns into boomy clicking. But it would be interesting to try it..

Yeah I also think it wouldn't be much useful for finger style playing...But it should work for slap sound as it because of the nature of technique - never lacks more bottom (and high end sizzle). smile.gif

Then in theory you can dial in good defined finger style sound on the amp itself and use the pedal for scooping and getting the good slap sound when its needed. Other way would be to make either compromise between good slap and good finger style sound and play with that or as some amps feature - use foot-switch for engaging the shape filer (if amp has one).
OzRob
The Sonic Stomp doesn't scoop mids. When frequencies pass through a speaker the ranges are delayed, which means different frequencies reach the ears at different times resulting in a muddier tone than the instrument naturally produces. The Sonic Stomp adjusts the delaying so that the frequencies reach a listener's ears at the same time or across a spectrum of tightness from no affect through to simultaneity.

To be clear, it does not adjust the tone or EQ at all. It adjusts the timing of how frequency ranges reach a listener.
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (OzRob @ Jun 1 2010, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Sonic Stomp doesn't scoop mids. When frequencies pass through a speaker the ranges are delayed, which means different frequencies reach the ears at different times resulting in a muddier tone than the instrument naturally produces. The Sonic Stomp adjusts the delaying so that the frequencies reach a listener's ears at the same time or across a spectrum of tightness from no affect through to simultaneity.

To be clear, it does not adjust the tone or EQ at all. It adjusts the timing of how frequency ranges reach a listener.

I knew about that frequencies shift it does to make sound clear, but it does have two knobs for low and high frequencies and boosting them (at least in videos I seen) has effect similar to the scoop mids sound. Its not actually doing scooping I know but I could use it for making slap sound fatter by increasing low end right?
OzRob
Bogdan,

It will make your low end sound fatter, but the controls aren't exactly Hi and Low. One does control the low end, but the other one controls the overall phase delay processing.
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (OzRob @ Jun 1 2010, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bogdan,

It will make your low end sound fatter, but the controls aren't exactly Hi and Low. One does control the low end, but the other one controls the overall phase delay processing.

I see... Thanks a lot for clarification about how the pedal works! I haven't had the chance to test it out myself.. smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (OzRob @ Jun 1 2010, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bogdan,

This is very interesting. In addition to this, fatter isn't always better, because once you get a boomy bass sound, there is no definition in it and it will only resonate in unpleasant way. It's pretty hard to control anything out of this pedal in terms of boosting/cutting low frequencies, and one can indeed ask why anybody would ever wanna do that (next to the controls on the bass and controls on the amp).
Saoirse O'Shea
Apologies as I may be repeating what I said on a different thread...

Overall I agree with Ivan here.

I think if you only use this device in a live situation either on an instrument or on a PA then it may have benefit. If you record with it I would be careful and I would suggest that at most it is only used on single instruments and never on the 2 bus. It's essentially a phase distortion device and to me anything that introduces phase shifts needs to be used sparingly and carefully or it has the potential to mess up the coherence of the audio and may introduce some quite nasty and audible artifacts.

I'd also add that the whole idea of phase shifting high and low frequencies to 'account' for speaker issues in terms of PA and recording (rather than a single instrument live) ignores that speakers vary from model to model. As such something that generalises where the X-over is and how much speaker cone alignment may be needed and which just presumes that all speakers whether they are bass or tweeters are front firing in a closed box is simplistic. Not all speakers are closed box, X-over points vary, not all are front firing on-axis. Well designed speakers will have been designed and manufactured to account for phase and tonal balance. Personally I'd suggest that if you have an issue with the sound of your PA or recording/mixing speakers you need to correct that by better room acoustics, placement and perhaps a change of speaker.

All that being said for a single instrument as I think Rob intends then maybe it can work for you...

OzRob
IMO, it's simple. Try the pedal, if it adds something valuable enough to buy it, then do so. If not, then don't.
Todd Simpson
Thanks for the review smile.gif I've been using a BBE 362 Rack Mounted Sonic Maximizer for a while. I love the thing. Very handy. I only use it for live recording typically. If I go direct and use software, I'll use OZONE and AMPLITUDE. It's a very handy plugin too, I"d like to add it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.