Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roland Vg-99 Modelling System
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Wiki Writers
Staffy
Here's my review bout the VG-99. It doesn't covers the vast amount of possibilities in this unit, since I found it impossible without writing a book or something similar..... But its really an interesting piece of gear and might as well be a landmark for the new guitar technology.
I will be happy to discuss pro's and con's, just shoot!!! smile.gif

Article is here.

//Staffay
Sensible Jones
Another great one Staffay!!!
I saw Rob Marcello do a demo of this in London last year!! It was amazing to see!!
biggrin.gif
Daniel Realpe
Thank you for the great review!

it surely looks like an amazing piece of gear
Staffy
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Dec 21 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another great one Staffay!!!
I saw Rob Marcello do a demo of this in London last year!! It was amazing to see!!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, Rob Marcello is a really great player and of course he can make everything sound good. I use to be a little sceptic to all the internet demos, but in this case Rolands demo's is very appropiate - it delivers exactly the same sound as in the demo's. smile.gif
sted
I love the way you can have one sound on light picking then when you dig into the strings it kicks in another preset, pretty epic stuff!
Ivan Milenkovic
Awesome device, I would definitely like to test it, and use it live as well. I'm sure it's good enough for live. It will not replace a (good) amp, but still in many situations I believe it will be better then the amp on the spot. Plug into PA and rock. Awesome. Thanks for the review Staffay.
Staffy
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 21 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome device, I would definitely like to test it, and use it live as well. I'm sure it's good enough for live. It will not replace a (good) amp, but still in many situations I believe it will be better then the amp on the spot. Plug into PA and rock. Awesome. Thanks for the review Staffay.

Yeah, definitely its awesome for live usage also, I was maybe a little un-clear here. What I was meaning actually, was that when I play my own music I prefer to have it the old-fashioned way (since I actually only use some two-three sounds for playing blues), but I will definitely use it for other gigs... There is some nice features that enables You to send a dry signal to Your amp and a processed one to the console for instance, also there are presets for different guitar amps when You running it together with an amp. And it is also usable as an effect unit without a HEX-pickup since there are a "normal" guitar input at the rear. smile.gif

//Staffay
Ivan Milenkovic
I mentioned in the other thread that I tested for couple of days Roland VG88, but without the pickup, only as processing unit. That device is still the best processor I've ever had the chance to play with. Effects were thick and transparent and it is built like a tank - literally! It was almost heavy as a tank as well, but that I consider a good thing with processors. Plastic enclosure gives me a real sense of cheapness. This unit looks great, they sure made it nice, and I'm guessing it's a lot better than VG88, so it must be awesome. GT10 is a toy compared to it.
Staffy
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 22 2009, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mentioned in the other thread that I tested for couple of days Roland VG88, but without the pickup, only as processing unit. That device is still the best processor I've ever had the chance to play with. Effects were thick and transparent and it is built like a tank - literally! It was almost heavy as a tank as well, but that I consider a good thing with processors. Plastic enclosure gives me a real sense of cheapness. This unit looks great, they sure made it nice, and I'm guessing it's a lot better than VG88, so it must be awesome. GT10 is a toy compared to it.

Its really like two VG-88 in the same unit (in fact this is the concept), since You have two independant signal paths. Also there's some new guitars, amps, effects etc. added. Yeah, and i do like the effects, I mean that many floor based effects would be more expensive than the whole unit alone... and You just have to press one button on the floor controller instead of dancing among the pedals. laugh.gif

//Staffay
Ivan Milenkovic
The price of VG88 is still holding strong, here it costs 650-700e without the pickup - second hand. So the price tells a lot. If I had the money for processor I would definitely get this over anything else. I'm sure VG99 is superb! smile.gif
Fran
Excellent review as usual Staffay, I was most interested in reading about this one cool.gif
Staffy
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 23 2009, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent review as usual Staffay, I was most interested in reading about this one cool.gif

Thx Fran !!! smile.gif
Clare
Hey Staffy, yeah the vg99 is definitely the bomb, i,ve had mine for over a year now and yeah you have only scratched the surface i also have a guitar equiped with the gk3 pickup, i can,t begin to tell you how much this thing can do...it ,s simply AMAZING, i have used this on all my rec. video,s....it,s been over a year since i owned this and i am only scratching the surface!! it can do that much, anyway staff enjoy learning and fooling around with it,s possibilities it,s gonna take a while....good luck!
Staffy
QUOTE (THE BUZZARD @ Dec 23 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Staffy, yeah the vg99 is definitely the bomb, i,ve had mine for over a year now and yeah you have only scratched the surface i also have a guitar equiped with the gk3 pickup, i can,t begin to tell you how much this thing can do...it ,s simply AMAZING, i have used this on all my rec. video,s....it,s been over a year since i owned this and i am only scratching the surface!! it can do that much, anyway staff enjoy learning and fooling around with it,s possibilities it,s gonna take a while....good luck!

Thanx! Yeah, I know! smile.gif Right now Im fooling around with the MIDI-output to control/play Spectrasonics Trilian in real-time via the computer, the USB-driver seems a little slow, but I shall try it with regular MIDI through my soundcard instead.... Anyway, Im very happy with it so far! biggrin.gif

//Staffay
Boson
This looks really cool, maybe I should have gone for this rather than the GR20 that I recently bought! mellow.gif

Looks like its time to start saving again!! tongue.gif

Bogdan Radovic
Great review! I would really love to get the bass version of it! smile.gif
Staffy
QUOTE (Boson @ Dec 24 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This looks really cool, maybe I should have gone for this rather than the GR20 that I recently bought! mellow.gif

Looks like its time to start saving again!! tongue.gif

Hmmm, yeah... If I had to choose I would definitely prefer this one because it can do a lot of "natural" guitar sounds rather than synth sounds, also the COSM-technique enables You to "scratch" the strings which a synth doesn't understand.... but since I got the AX-100 as well I'm not in a optional situation. smile.gif

//Staffay

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 25 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review! I would really love to get the bass version of it! smile.gif

Yeah, I bet that the bass-version is also awesome. There is some bass sounds in this one too that sounds really good!

//Staffay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.