Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Announcement: The Festive Challenge!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Competitions
Andrew Cockburn
Well we couldn't let Christmas pass without an extra special competition, so here it is ...

The GMC Festive Challenge

You only have 9 days so get to it, here's something to keep you occupied during those seasonal holidays! For those who don't celebrate Christmas, we would love you to take part as well!

We have a great competition for you this time - our very own Gabriel Leopardi has labored mightily under extremely tight deadlines to produce a 3 level lesson of Christmas songs:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Festive-Challenge/

I am sure you will agree that he has done an awesome job, and his arrangements of these popular Christmas songs are absolutely inspiring!

Thanks for your efforts Gabriel, you did an awesome job with this!

The challenge will be for you, dear GMC members to pick a level, learn the song and post your attempt at playing it. Our panel of judges will pick a winner in each category based on playing mechanics and feel.

Each category winner will be the lucky recipient of:

Click to view attachment

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

So, here are the instructions:

1. Pick which level you will be entering
2. Study the lesson carefully
3. When you are ready, upload your take in the uploads thread

That's it! We have a few rules as well:

1. Entries to the competition will be closed in the last minutes of 2009 (EST, GMT-5). Even if the thread remains open, no entries will be considered after this time
2. Keep it real about what level you enter - we will disqualify anyone who picks too low a level in an effort to win!
3. Audio entries will be accepted however video entries are preferred
4. No substitution or cash alternatives for prizes will be offered

So get practicing and may the best guitarists win!

Backing tracks for download:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

superize
Hmm this looks intersesting....

I will see if i can learn one of theese
Rated Htr
Sounds Cool...We'll see...
Marek Rojewski
Backingtrack download links would be helpful for sure;)
kaznie_NL
Lol, the front page links to a different thread wink.gif

Cool competition! I was just learning a different Christmas lesson here xD Marcus O Holy Night tongue.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Great idea for competition! Everyone should take a bite on this one! smile.gif
Marc_Maiden
awesome! i will be doing the advanced competition!
maharzan
Coooooooool!!!!!!!!
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Dec 22 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Backingtrack download links would be helpful for sure;)

Good idea - watch this space!
Gabriel Leopardi
Cool! Thanks Andrew for your kind words! Can't wait for the takes guys! smile.gif
Lian Gerbino
awesome guys! and great arrangements Gabe!!! smile.gif
Bondy
This is cool gonna have a go a Winter Wonderland smile.gif
kaznie_NL
QUOTE (Bondy @ Dec 22 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is cool gonna have a go a Winter Wonderland smile.gif

Me2 I think wink.gif
superize
It will probobly be the intermediate one but i will also try the advanced and see
ruben_mcn
Hi.. can i play the song my on way with the fingers i think work better to me ??? or do i have to do an exact copy of the original lesson (that is hard cause the videos are really slow due to some problem since the site was redisignd)
Andrew Cockburn
Backing tracks now up!
Storm Linnebjerg
Came to think of something, which I've thought of many times. I can't really come up with a solution though, but what if someone (a student) with the abilities as any of the instructors (some comes close!) went and applied for the easiest of the three?

I'm not sure where I'm aiming with this, and I'm sure each is his own best judge as to what he can play, but could you not just apply for something "beneath" your level and (perhaps) take all the votes with ease?

Hammerhead
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 22 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Came to think of something, which I've thought of many times. I can't really come up with a solution though, but what if someone (a student) with the abilities as any of the instructors (some comes close!) went and applied for the easiest of the three?

I'm not sure where I'm aiming with this, and I'm sure each is his own best judge as to what he can play, but could you not just apply for something "beneath" your level and (perhaps) take all the votes with ease?

Perhaps in the future, with the REC program in place, we would have a GMC "rank" and that would help to define what a "fair" challenge would be? anyone entering would be required to have a rank, at least for contests with prizes...?

just a thought about how to work with the "fair issue. wink.gif

Im guessing that the contest is to see who can "learn" or develop the most through the lesson and the contest. Otherwise it is a contest to see who can simply play better than the others... which would leave me out for sure dry.gif

Ohhhh yeah! THanks Andrew and Gabriel! You guys ROCK laugh.gif

I was hoping that some Holiday cheer would come our way. I hope that everyone has a Merry Christmas and or great holiday season! biggrin.gif
Staffy
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 22 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's in the rules.... and I dont think anybody here will try to "cheat", we all know pretty well which levels people are at. Take me for instance, I'm just figured out that I'm in between two levels technically-wise, so I dont have any options at all.... sad.gif There is no way that I'm gonna master the advanced in just 9 day's and the intermediate would'nt be fair........

//Staffay
Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 22 2009, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's in the rules.... and I dont think anybody here will try to "cheat", we all know pretty well which levels people are at. Take me for instance, I'm just figured out that I'm in between two levels technically-wise, so I dont have any options at all.... sad.gif There is no way that I'm gonna master the advanced in just 9 day's and the intermediate would'nt be fair........

//Staffay

I thought this would be votes, I didn't see it was a panel decision for this one. But the question still stands - for monthly competition (if we still have those?).
Fran
Awesome idea, a Christmas competition! cool.gif

I'm away from home for the holidays and left there my recording stuff (brought only an axe with me), it would've been great to take part. wink.gif
Marc_Maiden
im doing an advanced level because i know the other ones are wayy to easy for me...even the advanced one isnt as hard as it could be smile.gif

i think the judges know who the lower level and higher level players are, and can based their vote on the ones that put the most effort.

as for the advanced lesson, for that arpeggio part, learn what each arpeggio is and practice it over the backing...i feel like the backing is a tad slower than the gp version, and thus the arpeggio part will be easier over the backing
Staffy
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Dec 23 2009, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im doing an advanced level because i know the other ones are wayy to easy for me...even the advanced one isnt as hard as it could be smile.gif
as for the advanced lesson, for that arpeggio part, learn what each arpeggio is and practice it over the backing...i feel like the backing is a tad slower than the gp version, and thus the arpeggio part will be easier over the backing

Yeah, You've right about that... It isn't that hard as it seems, but for me personally I can't find the time to do it since I'm rebuilding my house, writing some music and celebrating christmas.... And its not really my type of playing either, even that the techniques here are very good to master. (I just checked it briefly) So come on all shredders and make a ball out of it!!! smile.gif

//Staffay
skennington
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Dec 22 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think the judges know who the lower level and higher level players are, and can based their vote on the ones that put the most effort.

I think Marc just answered your questions right here amongst all of us that know one another. Can you see Smells, I mean Chris Evans, sorry bro... rolleyes.gif busting out with the beginner lesson.. laugh.gif Or me with the advanced one.. unsure.gif we will all know Chris needs a pedal and I have been sleeping with my guitar.. wink.gif
rokchik
Awesome competition idea guys and the arrangements are great Gabriel.

I'm going to try for the intermediate level even though I see a couple things already that are gonna give me some trouble but we'll see what happens. Hopefully time will allow, I'm working all through Christmas sad.gif

rok
Praetorian
Very cool guys! I look forward to seeing everyone's take! I will give the beginner one a shot I think...
Alexiaden93
I'm in ! Level 7 OH YEAH ! biggrin.gif
Marc_Maiden
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Dec 22 2009, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in ! Level 7 OH YEAH ! biggrin.gif

yeah man! give me a run for my money!!!
Alexiaden93
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Dec 23 2009, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah man! give me a run for my money!!!

Oh yeah I forgot... I WON'T LET YOU WIN THIS TIME ! biggrin.gif (to the batmobile ? ^^)
kaznie_NL
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 22 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the judges should be able to disqualify very easily wink.gif If they think it's way to easy, they'll kick you out tongue.gif I believe Andrew also stated that wink.gif

The only problem are people who aren't active on forums, but do want to join the competition, they might try it wink.gif

Ow, and I'm surely going to join in on the "Medium" style lesson!

It'll be two christmas entries for me, Marcus' Holy night, and Gabriel's WinterWonderland tongue.gif Have fun, and may the best guitarist win! ME!!
Deleted
A friend asked me: "Can guests join the challange or it's only for users with full access to the video lessons?"
Rik Veldhuizen
Think I'll try the medium one as well. No way I can do the shredding (not in 7 days; 7 yrs more likely)...
lllusion
Can someone tell me what exactly that metal zone thing does?

(guess I can just google it...)
Marc_Maiden
it allows you to play metal.

the circuit bored inside the pedal reacts with the magnets of the pick up in such a way that it creates a different magnetic pulll on the strings of your guitar. as a result, the string tension changes, and causes the metal (iron, zinc etc) in your body to react to this change, allowing you to go into what the community calls "the Metal Zone" and thus physically allowing you to play metal guitar.

make sense?

no?

thats because none of that is true.

its a distortion pedal, allowing you to add a lot of gain in front of your amp!
kaznie_NL
QUOTE (Deleted @ Dec 24 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A friend asked me: "Can guests join the challange or it's only for users with full access to the video lessons?"

To be sure, pls wait for Andrew to awnser, but I think it's members only!
Praetorian
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Dec 24 2009, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it allows you to play metal.

the circuit bored inside the pedal reacts with the magnets of the pick up in such a way that it creates a different magnetic pulll on the strings of your guitar. as a result, the string tension changes, and causes the metal (iron, zinc etc) in your body to react to this change, allowing you to go into what the community calls "the Metal Zone" and thus physically allowing you to play metal guitar.

make sense?

no?

thats because none of that is true.

its a distortion pedal, allowing you to add a lot of gain in front of your amp!

laugh.gif
ruben_mcn
i´m going to try jingle bells =) (it´s givin some work cause of the fast part in the beginning :S, don´t know if the rest will give me more trouble cause i´m still trying to get the beginning down tongue.gif)
Pedja Simovic
I really like the idea for this challenge, good luck to all the members who submit their takes!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.