Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going Backwards When Practising.
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
eyestoeyes
Hello!

Been away from the forum for some time. Got tired of the guitar.

Some weeks ago I decided to get serious with the guiar.
I am one of those who have played for several years but learned wrong from the start I guess. Can play a bunch of riffs but sloopy. Christ, I cant even get the bends right.

Well so I thought to myself "I want to be good at guitar". So I´ve been playing 3-4 hours after work and well 6-7 hours at the weekends.

I started playing things slow and the same exercises each day. But well, it only feels like I´m getting worse. I get caught in the b, e strins all the time so I change my pick technique from one day to another not knowing what is right. I don´t know where to begin anymore.

When I get tired of practicing and play some old stuff at higher tempos i can´t play that anymore eather.
Catch 22!!!

What should I do? maybe a teacher would be good to say, practice this thing this way and don´t change it!

It´s getting preety frustrating cause I got the time and the will to do it but it feels like I´m going backwards at the moment.

Anders
Sweden
jafomatic
Well at this point if you're unsure of basic techniques the best thing to do is video. Record yourself playing and post it for feedback. If you have some posture & grip issues, they should be apparent and easy to catch. If you don't have the resources for video recording then I guess you can weigh that cost against the cost of a lesson or two with a face-to-face instructor.

In the long term, being able to record video will save money over time.

If you choose neither of those options, then I would recommend that you select one method or posture and keep at it for longer than just one day. Sometimes what causes frustration is just ... more frustration. Are you comfortable where you're playing? Is your guitar tuned and properly intonated? Are you playing with latency through your computer? Do you have a headphone cable in your way? All sorts of minor issues can cause incredible discomfort and tension which can very easily lead to lower playing ability which then leads to mental anguish which then leads to even lower playing ability. That's not exactly a real Catch 22 but it IS a pretty vicious cycle to get into. This is even worse for people who already believe they don't play very well. I've seen guys make assumptions like "I just can't play" when the real problem was latency and de-intonated guitars.

The short form is this: you should record some video of your playing and let GMC give you some ideas and suggestions. That should get you back onto the right path and feeling better about your playing.

MickeM
Perhaps you're pushing the borders too far. Improving by a little at a time is quicker. Raising the bar too high, you can still get there but it would take longer.
Practicing the right things, which I suppose you are doing, might have improved your technique. Trying to play those fast riffs with your new technique may not be possible yet.
Possibly it was fast and sloppy how you used to play them and you're going towards fast and clean, but not just yet? A couple of weeks of serious guitar may be too little to show them huge improvements. I've noticed with myself that it takes about 2 weeks before an old habit is gone and the new better technique sits in your ryggmärg.
eyestoeyes
Thank you very much!

Really need som pep talk and logic discussions.

MickeM said: Practicing the right things, which I suppose you are doing, might have improved your technique. Trying to play those fast riffs with your new technique may not be possible yet.

Thats a real good poin smile.gif

Jafomatic: I will let a guitar shop check my guitar. I know its a bit out of intonation and I have thought of this to, maybe the strinsgs can be lowered etc.

I will record something tomorrow.

Thanks again smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
You have to be patient, you cannot improve fast with guitar, that would be too easy. The key is constant everyday practice. Keep pushing, and don't stop. After a while, when you think you are only getting worse, make a short one-two day break to let the skills settle in memory, and then you will notice improvement. It's a constant cycle.
Bogdan Radovic
If you are following lessons/exercises here at GMC then your on a good path. Note that we all get tired and have days when we think we sound bad and that our skill is going in reverse, when that happens it just means you overdid practice and need to take 1-2 days break. After the break you will feel more confident and your skill will improve. Our mind just needs some rests to grasp all the new things its been trained.

p.s. You don't need a teacher, you already have dozens of them here! Just use all the resources + follow along the lessons (there are exercise lessons too) + post questions and videos of your playing if you are unsure if you are practicing right and you will get feedback and get on the right track.
Staffy
I would say: Go ahead and write songs, play with other people and have fun. Skill will come naturally if You play a lot with other people, don't try to set a goal that is too high. Be happy with what You can at the moment and enjoy music!!!

//Staffay
Adrian Figallo
i can't agree more with you man, 100% true.

Have fun bro, start playing a lot, i used to jam a lot with my fav albums, that will get ur fingers ready for the action.
i respect guitar exercises a lot, but for me that's too frustrating and boring, instead i try to play and jam with albums or better with real people.

And also, try to first improve your rhythmic skills, i just can't say it enough, once you get really comfortable with the guitar, all things will come eventually, but as everyone said, it takes some freaking time, and it's a never ending journey.. so be prepared.... to have fun wink.gif
Daniel Realpe
I feel like I have to say this. Strum your guitar strings very hard, stand up in your room and turn up the volume! play sloppy along with your favorite tunes at least once....just get that great feeling of your fingers producing loud sounds!

don't make playing guitar a "subject" you have to study for...you will eventually sit down and practice the details but the core of it is in the fun.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.